Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Movies Seen Even More Recently Than Previous Recently Seen Movies
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 70

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Movies Seen Even More Recently Than Previous Recently Seen Movies
 Login/Join

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
i really enjoyed Green Lantern...no significant complaints what-so-ever

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Report This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by that scott guy:

I enjoyed it, thought it was fun Smile good summer popcorn superhero flick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Report This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green-Robot:
quote:
Originally posted by that scott guy:

I enjoyed it, thought it was fun Smile good summer popcorn superhero flick.

I'm encouraged by both your responses. I've had a few friends that really enjoyed it, though most of my friends hadn't seen it yet or didn't want to.

I'll go see it regardless. It was something that I wanted to see with my mom since Hal Jordan's GL was one of her favorite heroes growing up and she got me started on it. Now I come to find yesterday, that she had read a review and decided that was enough for her to not want to go. There's no accounting for taste. Dad and I will go see it without her then.

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6929 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
despite all of the criticism there is a lot about it that's quite good...and i think those things out weigh the small things that werent

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Report This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Looking fwd to seeing Green Lantern in 3D after a very rewarding 3D Pirates experience last week.

-I'm a little late on this one, but "127 Hours" was an EXHAUSTING MOVIE to watch... but, it was worth the trip.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Report This Post
needs a blanket very badly. The better to "yahr" you.
Picture of Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings
posted Hide Post
So, watching The Tree of Life turned out to be as pleasant as having a ton of bricks drop on me.

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman
"Even so, there is no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza." Terry Pratchett

Have you fed your adorable, lovable and huggable lost girl lately?
"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura
High Priestess in the Alaurian Movement

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings:
So, watching The Tree of Life turned out to be as pleasant as having a ton of bricks drop on me.

what didn't you like about it? i haven't seen it yet but I love Malick's work

posted Hide Post
I loved the thin red line and liked badlands, can't recall any other films he wrote or directed that I might have seen. But this... ultimately I felt the 2 hours and ten minutes length of the film, and that with me tends already to be an indicator if a film is good or not. I'm not talking about its slow pace, no surprises there. I'm talking about the pointlessness of much of it. I felt this film bordered pretentiousness and felt robbed of my time. Brad Pitt played his role better than I'd expected, though, I'm happy he positively surprised me.

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman

"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Report This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings:
Brad Pitt played his role better than I'd expected, though, I'm happy he positively surprised me.

I still think that over the last 5-10 years Brad Pitt has turned from a pretty face who's effective in the right kind of part (e.g. Seven, Fight Club, even Thelma and Louise) into an actor who does really interesting work (Babel (not sure I liked the film all that much, but I liked Pitt's acting) or The Assassination of Jesse James..., for instance).

I liked Tree of Life, but even while liking it I found myself bored at times. Sometimes Malick achieves genuine depth, and sometimes he goes for vaguely evocative generalities instead, especially in his voice overs. I didn't mind at all in The Thin Red Line, a film I love, but got annoyed in The New World. Strangely enough, a friend of mine had exactly the opposite reaction.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Thirith, where would you put 12 Monkeys on that spectrum, then? I thought he was quite excellent in that part and it's even a little farther out there than any of the other parts you've mentioned.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Report This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
He's definitely effective in that film, but I find it difficult to judge the acting in Terry Gilliam movies compared to more naturalistic (for want of a better word) films, at least that of certain characters. Pitt's character works very well, but IMO it is a cartoon and lacks the depth that e.g. Bruce Willis' John Cole has. His acting is perfect for the part, but there are certain built-in limits in terms of how real and affecting the performance can get.

It's a bit like in Brazil: I think that Katherine Helmond's Mrs. Lowry does exactly what is required of that part in that film, and does it well, but if asked about good acting in the movie I'd always mention Jonathan Pryce and Michael Palin (god, is he chilling in that film!) first. Doesn't mean that the actors doing those more cartoony parts are worse actors - I just find it difficult to draw the comparison.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thirith & His Enormous Tibia:
Sometimes Malick achieves genuine depth, and sometimes he goes for vaguely evocative generalities instead, especially in his voice overs.
The voice overs in The Tree of Life made me positively annoyed. By the way, I totally forgot about The New World it was on my to see list.

And in your revision of Brad Pitt throughout the ages you forgot to mention his outstanding performance as a burn out in True Romance Razz

I obey the Alaura

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Really, I've yet to see a movie that was bad because of Brad Pitt's performance. I mean, he's been in bad movies, sure, but it's never been his fault. Even in the throwaway comedies, he's still fun to watch and portrays an actual character, however limited.

And I really haven't seen a movie that's been significantly enhanced by a voiceover. Even the classic noir movies probably would've been better off without them. I'm sure there's some obvious exception I'm forgetting - Juno came to mind, but the voiceover there is merely nonintrusive and, again, I don't think it really helps.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
Really, I've yet to see a movie that was bad because of Brad Pitt's performance. I mean, he's been in bad movies, sure, but it's never been his fault. Even in the throwaway comedies, he's still fun to watch and portrays an actual character, however limited.
I'll be honest, didn't think much of his performance in The Devil's Own (not that I thought much of the film either, but the Pitt didn't do anything for me on that occasion). On the other hand, to support your statement I must say that in a movie I considered quite bad, Kalifornia, his southern psycho performance was possibly the only thing worth noticing.

Just to clarify, my original statement wasn't about my not considering Brad Pitt a good actor. I have seen a ridiculous amount of films with him, and not so much for his pretty face as I always found him too scarily statuesque, but because on many occasions I have been positively surprised Smile

I obey the Alaura

waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hated him in Devil's Own, but that's mostly because of the accent.

quote:
And I really haven't seen a movie that's been significantly enhanced by a voiceover. Even the classic noir movies probably would've been better off without them. I'm sure there's some obvious exception I'm forgetting - Juno came to mind, but the voiceover there is merely nonintrusive and, again, I don't think it really helps.

I think Shawshank Redemption, the way it was done, really needed Morgan Freeman's voiceover. The movie probably could have been done as well without it, but they would have had to have done it differently, and it wouldn't have been quite the same movie.

Goodfellas needed it, too. (I always liked that Lorraine Bracco's character got her own VO.)

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Report This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I was entertained by Green Lantern. It wasn't great, but it was colorful, and I liked Ryan Reynolds and Peter Sarsgaard (and pretty much everyone except the girl.)

I never really read GL (it was the first comic I read, but I never stayed with it), so that probably helped. And it certainly could have been better -- it was no Iron Man. But if you just want to see a guy whiz around in green tights with a magic ring, this is pretty much your movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I forgot about it's use in Shawshank - maybe it's more that voiceovers, when done well, are so good you don't notice them, but when done badly are really, really noticeable?

And, note to self, do not watch The Devil's Own, apparently.

- G.K. Chesterton

Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to admit something that's likely to get my film geek licence revoked: I prefer Blade Runner with the voiceover. I like the other changes in the various "Ridley Scott is bored, but at least he's better at this than George Lucas" cuts, but I like the hokey, stereotypical noir narration.

Some other films where I liked the voiceover, and that would be completely different films without: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Magnolia, The Big Lebowski, Badlands, Days of Heaven. For me it basically comes down to these things:
Is the voiceover telling me things I already know (and, even worse, over-explain the themes of the film)? Cut it. Does it give a different perspective on what I'm seeing? Leave it in. Does it significantly contribute to the mood of the film? Leave it in. Does it sound like it's delivered by Ricky Jay or Samuel L. Jackson? Don't even think about cutting it!

stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
Thin Red Line worked as a voiceover for me. So did The Usual Suspects and Goodfellas. Raising Arizona works for me, too.

And at least in The Usual Suspects the voiceover in retrospect helps to show those iterations as being those of an unreliable narrator.

Or what about Sunset Boulevard. I've not seen it but I know what the narrator is, and how it works. It's intrinsic to the plot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Report This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thirith & His Enormous Tibia:

I have to admit something that's likely to get my film geek licence revoked: I prefer Blade Runner with the voiceover. I like the other changes in the various "Ridley Scott is bored, but at least he's better at this than George Lucas" cuts, but I like the hokey, stereotypical noir narration.

Yes! I'll admit, I like the voice over in Blade Runner for that reason too. While it's fun to watch all the versions(still haven't seen the workprint though) I like the voice over, because I've always envisioned the story as detective noir. I suck up the Old Time Radio shows like, The Adventures of Philip Marlowe, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, and The Adventures of Harry Lime for that reason.

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6929 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Report This Post