Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 61
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
 Login/Join

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted
I don't remember the last time I started a shift, and just happened to notice the other was over the limit so figured what the hell Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Shift 99 - gone but not forgoten.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Dude, that shift was so last century Razz
Oh, and hi, library lady! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
It just seemed to becoming a big snore.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Good news! The awful S.1867 bill that would give authority to the US military to arrest US citizens didn't pass.

Now if Congress NOPEs H.R.3261 - federal internet site blocking do to copyright infringement allegations - later this month, we'll have a have a merry non-Orwellian Christmas after all! Razz

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
Woke up a bit after 1 AM. It is now 3:30 AM. So tired, but cannot get back to sleep. Pregnancy has done weird things to my sleep patterns.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
Good news! The awful S.1867 bill that would give authority to the US military to arrest US citizens didn't pass.

Now if Congress NOPEs H.R.3261 - federal internet site blocking do to copyright infringement allegations - later this month, we'll have a have a merry non-Orwellian Christmas after all! Razz

*taps Furious on shoulder*

How likely is it for private members' bills like this to actually get passed? Are they as likely as, say, bills sponsored by the Executive?

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35348 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:

ONE DOWN ONE TO GO!! Wait, is that the same law? I didn't realize they were tacking it to the yearly military budget. *rolls eyes* Now Fox is going to spin it "Congress doesn't want to pay our brave servicemen and women".

EDIT IN:
I'm confused it says the amendment was rejected. I think it was talking about the amendment to the bill to make it NOT possible to detain American Citizens or Legal Residents with military force and no due process?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ladykatza,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ladykatza:

EDIT IN:
I'm confused it says the amendment was rejected. I think it was talking about the amendment to the bill to make it NOT possible to detain American Citizens or Legal Residents with military force and no due process?

Holy shit. That was for amendment S.A. 1064, NOT S.A. 1062, by another Senator Paul. That amendment I linked to was a rejection to an official end of the Iraq war (yes, it's still going on, folks).

The bill passed. If Obama doesn't veto the bill any US citizen can be thrown into a military prison, possibly one outside the United States, if they are considered to be behaving "belligerently" (ambiguous as hell, isn't it?).

What's even more disturbing is that Huffington is the only major media source that mentioned this, and it only did so after the fact.

Frown

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
quote:

*taps Furious on shoulder*

How likely is it for private members' bills like this to actually get passed? Are they as likely as, say, bills sponsored by the Executive?

Bills like this (one that are associated with budgets) are notoriously bloated and virtually unreadable, meaning that it's easy to slip in bad legislation or pork projects as long as no one fully reads or comprehends the bill. It's the reason why I supported an executive power called a line-item veto, which allowed the President to "cross-out" parts of a bill he didn't like, so he wouldn't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The line-itemed provisions would the get kicked back to Congress where they would need a 2/3 majority to supersede the President and pass the items in question. Of course, a very partisan President could use such a power to constantly throw a wrench in the works (much like abusing a regular Presidential veto), which is why the President currently can't line-item veto.

Back on topic, bad legislation gets passed when Congress and the President don't know/isn't paying attention/knee jerks to the topics at hand. Bills are sponsored by individual members of Congress or teams. A President can't officially sponsor a bill but he can support it.

Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Interesting. In the UK the government's legislation almost always becomes law, although often very different from how it got drafted. Parliament only ever threatens to veto in nuclear options.

The chances of a private bill (i.e. non-government) getting passed without government support is about 1/10.

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35348 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Also, a Standing Order of the House also states an increase on the burden to the Public Purse cannot be accepted unless the government accepts it explicitly. It goes some way to reducing pork.

---

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
DM, it's rather similar in Canada, although a private bill has a slightly better chance of passing.

Part of the problem here is the absolute distinction between executive and legislative power in the American system. In a parliamentary system, you tend to - though only tend to - have more of a sense of working on the same team in both branches. It's not uncommon in the U.S. for the executive Republicans to be politically differentiatable* from the legislative Republicans.

That said, these are ridiculous, ridiculous laws that are only as close to getting passed as they are because . . . well, one of the people still running for the Republican nomination forgot the voting age.

* Look! I made a word!

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Haha, nice Dweller Smile yes, the Canadian Parliament inherited the rule from the British Parliament. Standing Order 48 was created in the 1670s or somesuch.

---

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
differentiatable*

* Look! I made a word!

Have you ever governed Alaska or Texas?

(actually, I stopped watching MLP after episode 5 or 6. Show isn't grabbing me.)

In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of medievalists on twitter having a medieval soup contest right now. Yes, that's right. Medieval soup contest.

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
mmm Medieval soup. Does that consist of witches and leprosy?

---

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Black (bean) plague soup?

Apparently the air purifier needs to be set on high for it to drown out my husband's snores. Last night he kept me awake. When I got up I saw it was set on medium. I am so tired... and I have to figure out a way to make that machine stop on high.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Bwaha! Just strolling through Royal Gallery in Parliament I came across the following telegram on display. It’s from 1936 referring to the Abdication Crisis. Sender is Lloyd George (former Prime Minister) to Stanley Baldwin (Prime Minister of the day), giving advice, with some amusingly unkind words about Winston Churchill and the Viscount Rothermere (the Murdoch of his day):

quote:
LLOYD GEORGE

In event of abdication and York’s refusal for god’s sake for the unity of the empire and mercy have our trusted and known Queen Mary made regent.

Also kick Winston and rothermere in the pants.

---

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure *why* I went back to bed when my dreams were like that! I dreamt that my teeth fell out! Then I dreamt that Dev was a bit older and on a team of some sort and he wandered off with them without telling me. So I'm wandering all around the house we were at shouting 'Devlin Oregano!' And even in my dream I was thinking, 'But that's not his name...'

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post