Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
*snuggles into the shift thread* I'll just hibernate here for awhile.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I pop in from time to time to see if anyone is around. I seem to be avoiding facebook a bit now I'm working on it. But I miss the people here. People spent more time getting to know each other here. It's a good place and I'm glad its still here, even if I don't have a lot of time to spend on it. I hope everyone's ok. x

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
I... yeah....

fuck.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1996 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
So here is an honest question: how do you justify social media?

Facebook, twitter, instagram, linkedin...

When your personal life is the selling point and product, what makes you sign up? Knowing full well that you are the product, how do you align with connectivity?

I have refrained from these things and see the cost as too much, but then again, I miss places like this and feel detached.

So what price, or what cost, does it come down to? Or do you ignore the price?

Again, honest question, cause hell, I miss this place but still know what facebook does from a data perspective and mining perspective and it frightens me. That godawful F like symbol was the start of all things wrong with data tracking and zombie cookies.

-I

-Ivan.

Posts: 1996 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
I guess I ignore the price. FaceThingy is where the Boardies are (for starters). I used to be on Twitter but I just got tired of the time-suck that keeping up entailed.

I only have so much available time. If The Board were active, this is where I'd be...and *maybe* checking into FB occasionally.

I also suspect, that unlike you, ignorance is bliss re: data mining and stuff.
I don't share my whole world on FB. I don't really get why you would.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
ignorance is bliss re: data mining and stuff.
I don't share my whole world on FB.

But you do. Every page with a FB "like" icon, adds to tracking. Your browser has a signature, that builds a database on your actions. Zombie cookies track what you do when you browse other pages. Aggregate is you now. FB tracks you even if you are not signed in. And, now, your ISP can sell your browsing history. whee?!11

I do not mean to sound crazy, but using FB as an example is the easiest for folk to understand. That is the tip of the iceberg. We have lost the war of privacy. I know I sound like i should be wearing a tin foil hat, but fuck.

-Ivan.

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Now I'm back to fuggit. I give up.

Mountain? Sounds good. I'll bring books.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
And, then the reports of how vile facebook add targeting happened a coupe days ago.

Nevermind. Smile

-Ivan.

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
We will just have to cover the Board in red balloons then to entice the old posters to visit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post