Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
Page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
That's better than other things related to hen butt. Hope you enjoyed your eggs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
It is raining and I hurt. There's lots of chores I should do and then it's Wednesday, so, it's yarn shop night. And I don't have very many more of them 'cos she's closing the shop. but... I just don't want to do any of it.

feh

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who's read Norse Mythology? That was an excellent read, the narrative voice that Gaiman assumed was clear and pleasant but deeply reminiscent of the style of the source material, something which I thought was very impressive.

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read it. Enjoyed more of the last tales in the book as they felt more Neil, but wasn't enthralled with the beginning ones. Maybe after I read the Edda my mind might change a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I have it on audiobook, and I'm enjoying the anticipation. I might not read it for a while, because I just like knowing that it's waiting for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OV,

Having reads the Eddas, what Neil did in terms of tone I thought was a very wise stylistic choice. The language he uses not only makes the text accessible to children or less competent readers, it also mimics without aping the style of the original texts in translation. This, in my view better evokes the feeling of the text and for me made it hugely enjoyable.

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJWeir:
OV,

Having reads the Eddas, what Neil did in terms of tone I thought was a very wise stylistic choice. The language he uses not only makes the text accessible to children or less competent readers, it also mimics without aping the style of the original texts in translation. This, in my view better evokes the feeling of the text and for me made it hugely enjoyable.

Maybe I'll have to re-read the book after I read the Eddas. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I have it but I'm worried I'll read it and not like it. I haven't really enjoyed the last few of his.

I feel like an odd one out.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:
I have it but I'm worried I'll read it and not like it. I haven't really enjoyed the last few of his.

I'll probably pick it up cheap one day.

I've just picked up welcome to the cheap seats because it was cheap and I had been gifted some Google play credits. I them for award another £3 post purchased credit, so bought the first two books in 1Q84.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:

You aren't. I didn't care much for Ocean at the End of the Lane either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I realized just now one thing I really miss about the Board. It's knowing that we're all here and someone will be here to mindlessly chat with when you're bored. It's hard to do that on Fb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I miss that about the Board too. (and I thought I was the only one who thought Ocean at the end of the Lane was a bit meh)

It's sunny today! I'm sure it'll rain again soon (and make me hurt) but today is nice. Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is nice! Not quite warm enough to fly outside yet, but it a lovely morning that didn't make me hate getting out of bed early to head to the rig.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
This is the last week the yarn shop will be open! It's time, she just wants to enjoy retirement and be able to do what she wants. (like an insanely complicated table cloth) and I certainly have my stash all built up, but I was perusing Ravelry earlier and saw some hats and thought, oh, I can get some yarn for those later...

er. Nope. Also, my almost-brother and his fiancee want to try to have a baby, so I need yarn for a future blanket.

I know I can buy it online or at fiber festivals, but... I'm so used to just going to the shop when I have a brilliant idea.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
WHY is it snowing in April??

grumblegrumble ArcticFrickinCircle grumblegrumble

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about the yarn shop closing, Maeve. It's seemed like a second home for you, from how I've heard you speak of it.

Furilily... what about near 90 degree weather in April? Not cool. Not cool at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
90°C? Okay that could be a little uncomfortable... if I wasn't on fire all the time!

FWOOF!

you done forgot Razz

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*douses FurililyOFire with 30 waterballoons*

That should help with that problem of yours!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Now you know that's not going to-

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

You know that's-

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

You kn-

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

Y-

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

I-

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

Mad STOP IT!!! Mad

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

I SURREND-

*ba-doof!*
FWOOF!

*runs away in soggy underwear*

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
After hiking for a bit in the Sierra's, I am quite convinced that Furi needs a pet Marmot.

Google Image them, they are basically orange mountain otters with more deviousness.

Volcano Otter + Scoot + Furi?!?

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post