Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
The lasagna was indeed well concocted. There's leftovers in the fridge if anyone can make the drive to central PA.

ah yes, 9th grade biology was a long time ago! It didn't interest me much then, but it does now.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
*arrives in TARDIS and steals Maeve's fridge*

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
mmmm, just the thing for lunch after a cringeworthy tooth-scraping dental visit - Leftover Lasagna!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Having said that, genetics *is* interesting. Have you read any Steve Jones, Maeve? He's a very readable and interesting geneticist, and I have a spare copy of one of his books - would you like it? (It's the kind of book you read and then want to pimp to other people, it's so interesting.)

Any particular recommendation? My library seems to have a couple of options.

All by Steve Jones:

The Language of the Genes - a fantastic first read, really interesting.

Almost Like A Whale - also brilliant, on evolution.

Y: the descent of man - Maeve, this might actually cover what you are interested in. (I haven't read it, but I have got it.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Maeve basics of sex chromosomes:

XX Normal Female (one X shuts off the other one so you only really utilise the genes from one of your X's)

XXX Normal Female (one X shuts off the other multiple X's so you only really utilise the genes from one of your X's)

XO Non reproducing female (Turners syndrome tends to be stocky, short, infertile)

XY Normal male (if there is a genetic defect on the X chromosome it shows, eg colour blindness)

XXY Klinfelters syndrome male ( all sorts of problems)

The double X's are caused from the same genetic mutation as Downs syndrome which is having 3x chromosome 21.

So when the parents sperm/eggs are forming the cells down't split properly, or they have been sitting next to each other for so long bits of the DNA cross over each other and attach themselves together. It's like headphone cords in a bag. So when a female reaches over 32 her headphone cords are sometimes getting a little tangled in her eggs. So you end up with these sorts of chromosomal mutations.

Note that most other duplications of the various other chromosomes are fatal, hence high miscarriage rates after 32 too.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I got my sewing machine back from the repair shop two days early and at the low end of the estimate. Smile (and it seems to be working better.)

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Excellent news library lady!

@hal (and everyone else) see, if they'd explained it all a bit like that way back in high school I might have been more interested. Maybe they did explain it well, I dunno, I was too traumatised by being forced to cut things open. And the looming spectre of if I took Advance Biology I would have to dissect a cat.

So I didn't really learn all that basic stuff back then and I'm fascinated by it now. (and so I sound like the village idiot Smile

is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
There's an XO genetic combo? hadn't heard that.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
There's also the rare X-factor which causes Elvis hair and extremely long fingernails.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
There's also the rare X-factor which causes Elvis hair and extremely long fingernails.

Not. Fingernails. *eye twitches*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
Maeve basics of sex chromosomes:

XX Normal Female (one X shuts off the other one so you only really utilise the genes from one of your X's)

XXX Normal Female (one X shuts off the other multiple X's so you only really utilise the genes from one of your X's)

XO Non reproducing female (Turners syndrome tends to be stocky, short, infertile)

XY Normal male (if there is a genetic defect on the X chromosome it shows, eg colour blindness)

XXY Klinfelters syndrome male ( all sorts of problems)

The double X's are caused from the same genetic mutation as Downs syndrome which is having 3x chromosome 21.

So when the parents sperm/eggs are forming the cells down't split properly, or they have been sitting next to each other for so long bits of the DNA cross over each other and attach themselves together. It's like headphone cords in a bag. So when a female reaches over 32 her headphone cords are sometimes getting a little tangled in her eggs. So you end up with these sorts of chromosomal mutations.

Note that most other duplications of the various other chromosomes are fatal, hence high miscarriage rates after 32 too.

I just looked up the stats.

Oh.

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green-Robot:
quote:

Not. Fingernails. *eye twitches*

I can't think too hard about it or my brain will explode. Dem snikt physics... o_0

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Too late.

THE MAGIC OF WOLVERINE'S CLAWS

He should have no wrist flexibility and only be able to throw the most minimal of force behind his claws.

Now if they were extensions of his forearm bones, I could see Wolvie getting power behind his attacks, but as separate claw bones hanging out from behind his knuckles/the backs of his hands?

On second thought I mean claws coming from between his knuckles

Uhh... they come from between his knuckles and from the backs of his hands

nononono they come out from the webbing between his fingers

waitwaitwaitwait from between the knuckles and kindasorta from the back of his hands like I said earlier!!

what is this i don't even

Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
What is this 'derpy'? I keep on seeing it used in blogs, but I don't know.

I is getting old Frown

I give you the Stupidest War on the Internet.

The whole thing's quite derpy.

Posts: 258 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scootie Pie:
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
What is this 'derpy'? I keep on seeing it used in blogs, but I don't know.

I is getting old Frown

I give you the Stupidest War on the Internet.

The whole thing's quite derpy.

It really is the stupidest flame war ever. I enjoy the show and like the character, but Christ Almighty, getting so personal over a fictional character? It beggars belief.

The Brony community is all up itself over how tolerant it's supposed to be. It has no claim to that now.

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
... but Christ Almighty, getting so personal over a fictional character? It beggars belief.

When Optimus Prime died in the cartoon movie? I cried. *nods*

is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
... but Christ Almighty, getting so personal over a fictional character? It beggars belief.

When Optimus Prime died in the cartoon movie? I cried. *nods*

I cry over fictional characters all the time... But that doesn't mean I'd go to the author/creator's blog and attack them! *just saying*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Happy happy lunchtime!
I've got salad and carrot sticks and hummus...

Ice tea to wash it all down

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfLkcTAR80

HATH MARCELLUS WALLACE THE SEMBLANCE OF A HARLOT.

SPEAK WHAT AGAIN, I DARE THEE. SPEAK. WHAT. AGAIN.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
Happy happy lunchtime!
I've got salad and carrot sticks and hummus...

Ice tea to wash it all down

I read that as Humans for a moment.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post