Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shift 100% pure conversation, nothing but the finest
 Login/Join

Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I've not heard it's the tube station, just buildings being evacuated.

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
I've not heard it's the tube station, just buildings being evacuated.

for those wondering

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
You know how we were all ogling/drooling over pictures of Mr. Neil's home library?

Let me tell you about the kitchen...
Viking range with hood, regular AND convection oven, knives and cookware that's droolworthy...  

*sigh*

In my dreams.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeZee:
You know how we were all ogling/drooling over pictures of Mr. Neil's home library?

Let me tell you about the kitchen...
Viking range with hood, regular AND convection oven, knives and cookware that's droolworthy...  

*sigh*

In my dreams.

Oh! Sounds divine!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
now available in colour!
Picture of Liliaharas
posted Hide Post
I am of 2 minds about this matching cookery and cutlery business, on the one hand they would be easier to stack and you would have common sizes, on the other hand harder to replace just one broken piece and I savor the unpredictability of everything being hodge podge and total lack of effort.

~credo quia absurdum est
I believe it because it is absurd~

~bibamus, moriendum est
Let us drink, for we must die~

Posts: 2632 | Location: Londinium | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
you can always get something plain white, then even if you can't find the *exact* match, it's easy to get one you don't notice

Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I sort of wish we hadn't registered for plates. Because we found a great set of china for super cheap at an antique shop a few months after our wedding (added benifit: it was so cheap, I feel fine using it really often, and even putting it in the dishwasher as needed), but it doesn't match our wedding china, and I think only a few people even sent us wedding china in the first place. It's still in boxes it came in.

We did get a full set of everyday-use white plates, which are pretty much exactly what Domi describes. I'm glad we have those. Overall, though, we've just got So. Many. Plates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
...would it be Not the Done Thing to sell the boxed plates? You might even make someone very happy, if the pattern you have isn't made any more and someone is missing a bit of their set.

(I've got random plates of varying age and elegance, but the plates I use most often for kidlet and I are, er, deep blue enamel ones I got at the pound shop.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I hope it's a Done Thing. We made quite a bit of money off ours.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
So the house hunt is on, and yes I fell in love with the third one I saw. Off to talk to the bank tomorrow. Need to look aboud a bit more. Wish me luck.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
*Wishing you luck Library Lady!
- - -
~That 'Done Thing' sounds exactly right over here as well!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
We registered for a china set, only received three of the six settings and just decided to return the rest. We don't entertain often enough to really bother, and there just wasn't any room to store them.

Our everyday plates are a combination of the green and white sets we both inherited from other people.

I figure at this point, everything we own has a story behind it. For instance, the green plates that I own were from my dad's tiny apartment in Texas when he moved down ahead of my family for a job. There's all sorts of memories attached from when I went to visit, and going house hunting with him and the ultimate decision that Texas was awful and he was coming back to Washington.

Good luck with the house Lady!! ~~homeowner vibes~~

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
now available in colour!
Picture of Liliaharas
posted Hide Post
HOORAY HOUSING VIBES!!!!

Hope there are pics soon Smile

With regards to wedding china - The need for matching things is something i resist I think I admire Granny Weatherwax's philosophy too much

~credo quia absurdum est

~bibamus, moriendum est

Posts: 2632 | Location: Londinium | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
...Granny Weatherwax has a philosophy on wedding china?

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
now available in colour!
Picture of Liliaharas
posted Hide Post
I think there as a mention in Carpe Jugulum about her inheriting all her stuff so nothing matched and she broke one of the cups...

It seems a very witchy habit to me

~credo quia absurdum est

~bibamus, moriendum est

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
It wasn't specifically wedding china, it was general crockery and it came with the cottage. And none of it matched.

My plates are boring white things, all but two of the saucers are broken, and they don't match. Two small bowls, which don't match. Some large pasta-type bowls. I rarely have people over, so I don't much mind. When I cook for people, I take it to them. Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I don't think it needs to be The Wedding China, just that if people are going to give you stuff for free, it would be nice to have a set of matching crockery. It can be from Ikea!

I do like having dinner parties (such as mine are) with matching stuff so the table looks nice when it's laid.

My set of crockery consists of two plates, two pasta bowls, a cereral bowl which broke ages ago, and a side plate which I cannot find. Everything else is Mike's!

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Still house shopping. Saw (read that as – fell in love with) a 102 yr old house that was in relatively good shape. (Too big for just the two of us) We're close to putting a bid on an 80 yr old house. It is near the ball park that they filmed "a League of Their Own" in.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Hello! (from a train speeding through Rotterdam)

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by general punk, MA:
Hello! (from a train speeding through Rotterdam)

Whee! On one hand, I am extremely jealous of all your traveling! On the other hand, I am not good at traveling, so perhaps it's better to let you have the adventures and just read about them! I'm always so glad when you post about where you are and do pictures and stuff. Smile Not only you, of course, but all of you who do travel and visit. I love reading about all of it. Smile