Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Car Talk about Cars
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Talk about Cars
 Login/Join

here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hooligan:
The element was rated as one of the best cars for dog owners. Helps that the car can pretty much be hosed out - makes it easy to clean after a day on the beach/with the pups...

Dog lover package hasn't actually been released yet. It was just shown at an auto show this year, with the possibility of actual release later this year...

It was designed specifically to be hosed out. I'm a big fan of suicide doors, too. I love the one on my Saturn coupe and I was planning on getting another one (until they discontinued that model last year).

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I am very curious about the
Nissan Leaf It sounds promising...

To early to tell.

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:

To early to tell.

hmmm, 'competitively priced' doesn't really help much.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
Cars you would choose

1) for free (or what you're driving right now)

1991 VW GTI, 1981 VW Scirocco, 1969 Ford Cortina and 1992 GMC Sonoma 4x4.

2) for $5000 / £3000
1995 BMW M3

3) for $15000 / £9000
1968 Cadillac Eldorado.

4) for $30000 / £18000
1970 Alpha Romeo GTV

5) for $60000 / £36000
1970 Dodge Challenger convertible.

6) Unlimited funds! Woo-hoo!
1924 Hispano-Suiza H6C "Tulipwood Torpedo"

New cars suck. Razz

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5625 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:

To early to tell.

hmmm, 'competitively priced' doesn't really help much.

Yeah. For $20,000 the car will redefine what people use to drive short distances.

For $30,000... meh. Shelve it with the Insight and Prius. Razz

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Guest:

1924 Hispano-Suiza H6C "Tulipwood Torpedo"

Only if you wear the scarf, leather helmet, and goggles when you drive it!

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
I wear that when I drive now...

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5625 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Not posing as the hood ornament! How can you even steer when you're on top of the car...

Ohh... I get it now. Your secret's safe with me, Mr. Potter.

Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I quite want a car now, although it doesn't bode well that since The Accident (I had *bruises*! Razz) I am too scared to ride my bike even...

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Newromancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
New cars suck. Razz

There is some truth in that. The depreciation on cars is diabolic and not always understandable.

That said, there is something special about having a car made ‘for you’. Your desired specification, your favourite colour, etc.

My fun-car is getting seriously old and expensive to run now. And I can’t make my mind up about what to do. The options are either to replace it with something new (or reasonable new). Or, instead, look at well sorted old timers. TVR or MGA comes to mind.

Financially it stays the same; the oldies are cheaper to buy. You can pick up a whole car for the deposit on a new one. But then you soon find out that you end up spending the same amount you would usually pay in monthly paying for repairs and higher running costs.

The thing though is, all new cars I’ve seen so far are somehow ‘boring’. Or is it just me?

Posts: 373 | Location: Cyberspace | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newromancer:

The thing though is, all new cars I’ve seen so far are somehow ‘boring’. Or is it just me?

Its true.

Can you blame the car companies though? Most people want a point a to point b car. They dont care what it looks/drives like as long as it has an automatic and air-con. Frown

The people who really like cars get old stuff or hang on to things far to long to be profitable.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
Only if you wear the scarf, leather helmet, and goggles when you drive it!

quote:
I wear that when I drive now...

Just be careful that you don't end up like Isadora Duncan.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
*checks wiki*

Yikes!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Wigber
Picture of Newromancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The people who really like cars get old stuff or hang on to things far to long to be profitable.

Yeah, temm me about it. I have my MG for 10 years now and it becomes just ridiculous to maintain it.

But what to replace it with? Ideally I would want something 'better' - upgrade it to something even more fun.
But looked at new stuff, nothing really fels like an real improvement. At least not in terms of driving pleasure.

Any suggestions for what would make a good replacment? Keeping in mind that I desire day-to-day usability as well. (So the likes of a Caterham is regrettably out of the question.)

Posts: 373 | Location: Cyberspace | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
Depends on if you watch Top Gear or not Razz ... they like to pick on Audi drivers, but the upcoming (2010) A5 Cabriolet is looking nice.

Posts: 6962 | Location: Flo-Rida | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Newromancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crow Girl:
Depends on if you watch Top Gear or not Razz ... they like to pick on Audi drivers, but the upcoming (2010) A5 Cabriolet is looking nice.

I do watch Top Gear. Though I agree, that wouldn't turn me off an Audi. (As long as it puts a big enough smile on my face, i don't care what others think.)

I have a bit of a RWD fetish (it's a personal thing) and Audi's are traditionally FWD. I would however quite happily compromise with 4WD.

So far the A5 hasn't accured to me - and at first glance it doesn't really float my boat. (I kind of look for something small and nimble - though I might change my mind.) Was thinking about the TT quattro for a while. But even though I appreciate it highly as a sport coupe, it doesn't quite work for me as a roadster - might change my mind though and at least test drive one.

Something a friend already suggested was to look at the 308cc. Horribly underpowered and front wheel driven car. However, it is drop dead gorgeous and fantastic value for money. The design works as coupe and convertible - which is rare. The interior might be simple but is elegant and has a certain quality to it.

p.s. thanks for the suggestion tough, the A5 was something I haven't even looked at yet - and so far I looked at a lot.

is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
308cc Peugeot?

I've seen one up close recently, and wasn't thrilled with the fit and finish. *shrug* Haven't driven one though.

Posts: 6962 | Location: Flo-Rida | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Newromancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crow Girl:
308cc Peugeot?

I've seen one up close recently, and wasn't thrilled with the fit and finish. *shrug* Haven't driven one though.

Have to wait till next month before I can test drive one. (Nobody wants to register a car before september.)

The 307cc was always looking kind of odd with the roof up. Out of proportion. The 308cc looks a lot better closed. (I think.)

Don't get me wrong, the finish is no where great, but compared to some other cars I have looked at so far it isn't all bad. For example in the Mercedes SLK all the buttons are cheap plastic and wobbly.

Plus I like the big white dials with the black letters and the chrom ring around them. It is simple, but works a lot better for me than what other brands now have.

edit: thinking about it, it might have been an optional extra in the 308cc I had a quick look inside. (Something like a full leather pack?) The second hand 307cc they also had, had nasty plastic from the dash on all the way down to the auto box. - Will check the option list when I come home.

here
Picture of Hooligan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newromancer:

I do watch Top Gear. Though I agree, that wouldn't turn me off an Audi. (As long as it puts a big enough smile on my face, i don't care what others think.)

I have a bit of a RWD fetish (it's a personal thing) and Audi's are traditionally FWD. I would however quite happily compromise with 4WD.

So far the A5 hasn't accured to me - and at first glance it doesn't really float my boat. (I kind of look for something small and nimble - though I might change my mind.) Was thinking about the TT quattro for a while. But even though I appreciate it highly as a sport coupe, it doesn't quite work for me as a roadster - might change my mind though and at least test drive one.

Something a friend already suggested was to look at the 308cc. Horribly underpowered and front wheel driven car. However, it is drop dead gorgeous and fantastic value for money. The design works as coupe and convertible - which is rare. The interior might be simple but is elegant and has a certain quality to it.

p.s. thanks for the suggestion tough, the A5 was something I haven't even looked at yet - and so far I looked at a lot.

Small and nimble - I'd look into the one I mentioned earlier in the thread - the VW R20. As long as the specs stay the same as they are predicting, it should be a fun little (but still very practical) car. AWD, 270 hp turbocharged 4cyl...

Posts: 3024 | Location: Uncle Sam's worst summer camp | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
Our car was stolen just after Christmas.

We sent it to the dealer to get the ignition (which had been bashed out) replaced. When finally finally got it back today, and the mechanic had a list of other stuff that he noticed needed doing.

Is anyone enough of a car-person to take a look at this stuff and give me your sense of how vital it is, on a scale of "meh, it'll run fine" to "holy crap go get that fixed before you turn that car on again!"

Here is the stuff as he wrote it down:

Play in RF upper ball joint
Play in RF outer tie rod end
Play in lower ball joints
Base pan damaged

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post