Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Car Talk about Cars
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Talk about Cars
 Login/Join

Wigber
Picture of Newromancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the other duncan:
The Miata had an auto as well, but with flappy paddle option when desired. Not the easiest thing to get in and out of, but sweet.

When I was shopping for a new car last year, every one I test drove, with the exception of the BMW, had a flappy paddle gearbox.

And lets just say, it is a bit of a scam, as its really just an automatic with a sports mode. Even in manual mode, the car will still shift down and up for you before it hits the limiter.

I also find myself missing the old light weight MG. 95% of the time the current car is better, as it is simply so much more comfortable. But for the rare 5% of the time, nothing beats light weight. I can easily do without the power and speed, just give me something light weight that corners with an natural aspirated engine and a manual box with a proper clutch.

And in that regard, the MX5/Miata is a brilliant car and I was just too young and too stupid to understand this. It is not fast. I doesn't even go quickly around corners. But you just don't care. It doesn't matter if you go through a corner sideways as 60kph or 120kph. The fun, and the smile on your face, is exactly the same. What matter is that it handles well, and the little Mazda is just such a beautiful drivers car.

Posts: 373 | Location: Cyberspace | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newromancer:

And in that regard, the MX5/Miata is a brilliant car and I was just too young and too stupid to understand this. It is not fast. I doesn't even go quickly around corners. But you just don't care. It doesn't matter if you go through a corner sideways as 60kph or 120kph. The fun, and the smile on your face, is exactly the same. What matter is that it handles well, and the little Mazda is just such a beautiful drivers car.

If/when I get crazy money to play with, I'm going to get a MX-5 and get a custom lowered seat so I don't get smacked in the face with bugs at 90mph.

This happened in my Jeep when I had the top down. Ouch and yuck.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
quote:
Originally posted by Newromancer:

If/when I get crazy money to play with, I'm going to get a MX-5 and get a custom lowered seat so I don't get smacked in the face with bugs at 90mph.

This happened in my Jeep when I had the top down. Ouch and yuck.

There is a seat-lowering lever, though a general seat-lift would be nice. You know, one that meets you halfway? Miata is a low car!

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to the Minnersnooter Auto Show with Son+ today and I CAN'T FIT IN ANY &^$&%$&($'N MODERN SPORTS CAR!

i hate everybody. Mad

This is my problem. I feel it's time to sell my Mustang but I still want a toy car. I tried a Lotus Elise but I don't fit. Therefore it's going to be a Jaguar XK8, which looks gorgeous but won't be quite as much fun (though it won't break my arse and back) I just need to save the cash because my Mustang is apparently worth about £1.58

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
My car is back early from the auto body shop!

Let me say this, no Monday morning will ever come close to the bizarreness of bleary-eyed going to my car at 5am to start my work day and seeing the tail end of a BMW X-5 resting on part of the hood of my car (and then noticing that the X-5 had significant damage as well as the vehicle in front of it). And then it taking a week to find out what exactly happened because the police officer who so kindly left a card neglects to return any phone calls.

It's been an interesting couple of weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12393 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
So... was the Mystery Reverse Man drunk or trying to prove a point?

@ Psi: I still want that rag-top Camaro, but RWD + sport suspension on Minnesota roads? Pffft... maybe when I can afford two cars... Mad

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... was the Mystery Reverse Man drunk or trying to prove a point?

Thankfully neither, he had a seizure while driving. Hopefully he's ok because I can't imagine having a seizure while driving plus injuries from hitting three parked vehicles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12393 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:

... I can't imagine having a seizure while driving plus injuries from hitting three parked vehicles.

You've never seen me drive in a video game, have you?

Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
I got a Mini recently. It's bigger than my last car...

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5625 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Holding my current car together with Gorilla Tape, I kid you not.

Living in Minnesnowta long enough to lose my Pennsyltucky accent (caught myself saying 'YAH?' the other day *facepalm*), the cars I now want in order of expense:

- used Nissan 280SX (because its a good weather toy)
- Toyota Highlander (because it will last longer than the Pyramids)
- Toyota Tundra (because Minnesota off-roading is actually driving on any road after the spring melt)
- BMW M5 (because you're in my way Razz)

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Why not a Scion IQ like I have? I'm sure it would do great in Minnesnowta!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:
Why not a Scion IQ like I have? I'm sure it would do great in Minnesnowta!

This is you. The Eggmobile!

They see me rollin', they hatin'...

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Now I'm imagining Weebz making like a Pixar damsel auto with the voice of the goofy fish from Finding Nemo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I kid you not, the cab on that car rotates 360 degrees for people who can't parallel park and the Pokemon inside is the steering mechanism.

Don't see why Nissan didn't make this the new 380Z...

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Living in Minnesnowta long enough to lose my Pennsyltucky accent (caught myself saying 'YAH?' the other day *facepalm*), the cars I now want in order of expense:

Lulz on the accent. Bugger the SVUs man, bought a Fiat 500 in December and it rules.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1992 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
wanderinginmn

Fiat 500

wanderinginmn

Fiat 500

Trying to understand the physics of this... Fiats have 10 cubic ft of space and Ivan's beard is 12 cubic feet by itself... *puzzled*

little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
I don't think I imagined, when I joined the board, that one day I would own an 18 month old Jaguar. Holy heck my new car makes me smile.

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
My 'new' car isn't really new anymore, I bought it after Christmas in 2013.

She's a 2014 Subaru Forester and I loves this car! There are things about it that could be improved: The weirdy gear that'll let you drive downhill on ice? It works fantastically well, BUT it's ridiculously easy to bump it into this gear. It's happened several times. Other things are just nitpicky things: there aren't enough USB ports or cigarette lighters used as power ports/the ports in the centre console thingy aren't easy to see or get at. the middle seat belt pulls out of the ceiling and doesn't always go all the way back up and so I see it dangling.

It has a rear view camera thingy, but honestly it's difficult to see anything when the sun is shining, so, what's the point? I still turn around and look.

And the end of this year/next year the kid will be 16 and I am not looking forward to him crashing my car, but I know it's gonna happen. *sigh*

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I got a lovely Jetta TDI, which I loved for a year and a half until the scandal broke and I found out I'd been SPEWING POLLUTION all over the state while driving my (supposedly) clean diesel.

*Rage.*

I'm keeping an eye on the lawsuit, and hoping to trade this one once they offer a buy-back program. Right now, it's about 20% below where it would have been, pre-scandal.

The thing is, to get the VW buyback, I'll probably have to get another VW to get the best deal. I have mixed feelings about this. If I'm stuck with VW, I'll probably get a Passat. NOT a diesel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jocelyn:
clean diesel

The only clean internal combustion engine is the one that's not running. I wish Teslas had more than a 12-mile range. :/