Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Coraline    Plot error in movie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plot error in movie?
 Login/Join

Picture of Scyfer
posted
I was really confused about this for some time, even though my friends thought that it didn't really matter. After Wybie saves Coraline, she asks why he finally believed her story. As an explaination, he then pulls out a photo of one of the ghost children, apparently related to his grandmother. But since Wybie never met any of the ghost children, how would he discover the link and believe Coraline's story? I may have just remembered the movie's details wrong, but it'd be nice to clear up.

Posts: 6 | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coraline described the ghost children to Wybie when he came to get the doll back, identifying one with braided hair (among other things) as being Wybie's grandmother's sister. Wybie had mentioned previously that his grandmother had a sister who disappeared, as an explanation as to why his grandmother didn't want him to go into the Pink Palace ("she says it's dangerous"). When Wybie saw the picture, and how it matched Coraline's description, he realized she wasn't making the story up.

*definitely has seen Coraline too many times*

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
seen coraline too many times? i sincerely doubt there's any such condition. Wink

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patrícia Balan
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's too late to make this comment.

Didn't Wybie give Coraline the doll because it looked just like her? Wasn't it in his grandmother's trunk? Coraline asks Wybie how could a doll that is "older than the house, probably" have blue hair and a rain coat just like hers. Wybie is too distracted with the slugs to think about it. But later, when he sees the photo, the doll that Mrs Lovat kept in the trunk didn't look like Coraline at all.

If he had any problem to figure out there was something wrong, the cat must have helped him connect the dots.

THAT'S watching Coraline too many times!

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post