Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Coraline    the other parents black button eyes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the other parents black button eyes
 Login/Join

Picture of Miss Alabama
posted
buttons might refer to blindness of some kind. How far do you think we should take this thought?

-----------------------------
"...the fog of dreaming increased..."

~the Bone People~

Posts: 1191 | Location: the Netherlands | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
I'd think it's more of (random thoughts, in order of how likely I think they are)
1) creepy visual
2) it's all a game, she wants coraline as a doll, stuffed animals have button eyes, ergo...
3) eyes are the windows to the soul, when she takes your soul you lose your eyes

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Somnambulist
posted Hide Post
A friend of my brother's is pathologically afraid of buttons, and i can sort of see why one might be. So i think that its because buttons are just a bit scary.
and yes, they imply blindness which is not comforting.
also its a bit horrible that they would have to be sewn on.

------------------------------
I'll die before I surrender, Tim

Posts: 482 | Location: UK | Registered: April 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
while it does imply blindess, remember that all the other images are just illusions - the other mother is both the female with the buttons and the kitchen sink.
The other mother can't create, so it makes sense that she can't create the 'windows to her soul'...

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Alabama
posted Hide Post
or hasn't bothered to create (i.e. the grounds)

right?

~the Bone People~

Posts: 1191 | Location: the Netherlands | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
no, I did mean she can't create something new, just twisted versions of things that already are. *searches for the quote* chapter 10:
"these things - even the thing in the cellar - were illusions, things made by the other mother in a ghastly parody of the real people and real things on the other end of the corridor. She could not truly make anything, decided Coraline. She could only twist and copy and distort things that already existed."

Picture of Miss Alabama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
no, I did mean she can't create something new, just twisted versions of things that already are.

thank you, GMZoe, that is really helpful Smile

~the Bone People~

posted Hide Post
of course there is also the possability that.. buttons for eyes are just creepy. nothing hidden, nothing to decifer. its just creepy. can you imagine being a little lass and seeing something thin and pale and gangly with inky hair and button eyes? just scary is all. maybe there's no hidden meaning. sometimes buttons are just buttons.

Razria =)

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
yep, that's what I said was most likely in my post

[This message was edited by GMZoe on April 20, 2003 at 12:48 AM.]

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it just adds to that hideous doll quality that the ˜other' parents have. But then I've always been terrified of dolls. For example, when I used to stay with my Gran in Scotland, I wouldn't sleep in the spare bedroom until ALL of the China dolls had been taken out. Then I would surround my bed with teddies to protect me if the dolls tried to come back when I was asleep.

So...yeah...where was I going with this? Oh yes, dolls are scary.

Posts: 12 | Location: Norwich, England | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AstroNomi
posted Hide Post
It nagged me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It's different when you read it seperatly, perhaps...

Anyway, in The Lord of the Rings it is mensioned more then once that everything the darkness made was a twisted version of what Eru, the god, created. Because, just like in Coraline, it could not wholy CREATED but twist, make a "Grotesk parody of the intiate creation".

I wonder if Neil thought about it. Or was affected unattantioned. Or affected from an earlier myth known both to him and Tolkien...
Little mystories. Smile
"Find the origin" is one of my favorite games when reading or watching.

Oh, and I support the "buttons=dolls" theory: I though it was clear when I first read it. Stuffed dolls has buttons for eyes, and no one else... But blindness strikes me as quite true as well.

Oh, and PS: Terribly sorry for any grammer/spelling mistakes, English isn't my natural language Smile

quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
"these things - even the thing in the cellar - were illusions, things made by the other mother in a ghastly parody of the real people and real things on the other end of the corridor. She could not truly make anything, decided Coraline. She could only twist and copy and distort things that already existed."

"Everything that is began as somebody's daydream"

Posts: 6 | Location: Tel Aviv/ Haifa, Israel | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sinking_77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caligari:
Oh yes, dolls are scary.

I totally agree... dolls are scary!

When i was child i had a horrible dream where a rag doll i had in my room, began suddently to walk alone towards me, with its loooong thin white legs...
OMG i get still so afraid at the only memory of that image... brrrrr!

There is nothing left... but faith.

Posts: 9 | Location: Spain | Registered: August 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oooh yes dolls are creepy! i find those shiny button eyes on teddy bears creepy, too. but you know, the bit that freaked me out the most was the whole deal with the needle and thread. imagine someone telling you they were going to sew buttons into your eyes! ewwww!!!! as far as meaning goes.. i'm voting for creep-out value Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: firewater,

Posts: 9 | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know why the parents have black botton eyes. I met Mr. Gaiman on my birthday and asked him about it. He said he just liked the idea of blackness and a rim aroung the edge. (Mr. Gaiman, if this isn't what you said, I'm sorry, it is what I understood)

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozma
posted Hide Post
The eyes are called the windows of the soul, with these black button eyes, the other parents are just empty ,souless . This may not be what he was going for, bu thats the impression I got.

The sky was made of peaches...

Posts: 3 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DemonDelirium
posted Hide Post
I never thought of the button eyes representing blindness, but I guess that it makes sense. The other parents were devoid of emotion, maybe they wanted to keep Coraline so that she could give them a sense of being real, because they knew that they were not. I am not sure how far you should take the thought, but I posted, didnt I?

Ha Ha I made Butterfliers and Froggies - DD

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Gaiman ahs also a history of doing creepy things with/to eyes -in the Sandman, for example.

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackButtonEyes
posted Hide Post
I haven't read this book in a while but the black button eye imagery was so striking and creepy. If I was a child I don't think I would have read any further as I'm easily creeped out. But could the buttons be an indication also that the creature has hastily created itself in terms of its image as the other mother? Like it grabbed buttons in the absence of any real eyes to cobble itself together.

lol, just my two cents.

<i>"Dee is for lots of things. Death. Dust. Darkness. Demons."</i>

Posts: 29 | Location: London, UK | Registered: November 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Forgotten Goddess
posted Hide Post
i dunno.

i dont think any of gaiman's work is scary...
just warping.

Posts: 276 | Location: Houston, Tx, United States | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Forgotten Goddess
posted Hide Post
in a good way.

i kind of like my nightmares.
a lot.

Posts: 276 | Location: Houston, Tx, United States | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post