Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Coraline    Liked graphic novel better than written book
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liked graphic novel better than written book
 Login/Join

Picture of Game Wizard
posted
When I first heard that they were making another of Neil Gaiman's books into a movie (Coraline) I like a many went out to read the book first so that I could better appreciate the movie more. So I went to my local library, checked out the book and got to about when Coraline meets her Other Mother and Father that I stopped reading because I was doing something I don't recommend is read multiple books at once, and it was oddly enough multiple Neil Gaiman books, American Gods and Good Omens, on top of Coraline and I had a sensory overload of all these vary diverse stories. And also some how I found the written version of Coraline too dry, too boring some how in the descriptions of this fantasy world that he wrote.

Then speed up to a year later and I read the graphic novel version and I loved it, the drawings were fantastic and wonderful and strange in such a way that complements my new love for wonderful and strange.

I don't know, my reason for this post is to see if anyone else felt that way about it or if I'm the weird guy that sees the world a bit differently than most.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to take a shot in the dark here and think that yes I am the weird guy that is the only one who thinks this way, I'll be wonderful at the one-man parties until I need some one to drive me home but I'm the only one with the car keys.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I tend to focus mostly on the World's End section, sorry.

I've never even seen the graphic novel edition, so I can't compare.

I'm only just getting into comics/graphic novels - I'm more of a written word kinda chick.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
I like written stories sometimes more than graphic novels too, but sometimes there are stories that can only be conveyed in a comic book form, like Sandman for example since we are on a site dedicated to Neil. Those stories might have been possibly to be shown in a written word format but hard to wrap one's head around without some pictures for better detail.

--------~~~~~~~*******

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I only read half of the graphic novel. For this one I liked the audio book version the best. It is different for different stories. I agree Sandman would not have made the same impact as a novel. It also depends on the artist.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dollgirl
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be starting the graphic novel adaptation tonight, and I'm pretty excited. I really enjoyed the novel and movie but I can't seem to get enough of Coraline and the more different adaptations I encounter, the better.

What is the audio version like?

Posts: 8 | Location: Under Your Bed | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post