Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coraline Movie
 Login/Join

posted
What do you think of Henry Selick directing a Coraline movie? I've read Michelle Pfeiffer will play the mother and the other mother. I think the movie will look great in stop motion! But I'd love the whole "other" world to be created entirely with stop motion, just as Selick did when James enters the giant peach in "James and the giant peach".

I'd also like Danny Elfman to do the score!

Posts: 5 | Location: Barcelona, Spain | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
To be quite honest, the first thing i thought after finfishing coraline was: Please please please DON'T make it into a movie. This is the perfect book to make your own imagery up, supported by Dave McKean's art.
Do you look forward to the film? I'd like to know, can you imagine someone not wanting to ever see it?

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they made a movie, I would for sure see it. Hell, I would watch just about anything associated with Neil. It would make a pretty good movie, I think.

Posts: 84 | Location: Spring Creek, Nevada, USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dreamraven
posted Hide Post
Anytime i ever read a book and reammy enjoy it, and then go see the movie, i am always very disapointed because my own interpretation is always more.... oh what would you call it...... Spectacular and magical than anything they could ever out on screen. So tham i always read the book again.

Posts: 249 | Location: I'm moving to Canada as soon as i finish school | Registered: July 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Forgotten Goddess
posted Hide Post
I usually like the "Hollywood" rendition of books because it can usually open a new perspective if the screen writing is especially creative. Let's just hope it won't be like "Lord of The Rings". The only way you possibly could understand the characters and plot in that film is if you had read the literature previously! roll eyes

Posts: 276 | Location: Houston, Tx, United States | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jello
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well. I disagree about LoTR though.. I hadn't read the books when I saw the film and followed everything just fine. Granted there was a lot more to the characters and the plot that was shown, but that's to be expected. The only thing I saw that I didn't like was the lack of a reason for Merry and Pippin to be so devoted to Frodo. There didn't seem to be any basis for that level of loyalty. But given how wrong it could have gone, Peter Jackson did a bang-up job, imho.

---
jello.
aka aron.

Posts: 1035 | Location: Cumming, GA USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the story will make a great film, but I wish they would look at making it British, with
British actors. I guess it's just where I imagined it to be and I just did NOT see Michelle
Pfeiffer as M/OM.

Posts: 1 | Location: Saginaw, TX, USA | Registered: September 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
Oh god no?

Its such a bad idea to try and make a film out of something like Coraline. I have this terror that every book I like will be made into a film and ruined, like Roald Dahl's books, or just not done well enough, like Harry Potter was. And if htey do make it, it has to be an all english cast, because no matter how good an American actor is, they don't get it right.

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Interit
posted Hide Post
like Neil's said... most of his stories' film rights have been purchased by someone or other, but have yet to be made into actual films.. for now, i wouldn't worry about it.

Posts: 36 | Location: Tempus Frangit | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're right on the mark about Henry Selick. He'd be perfect! But I think stop motion wouldn't have the right feel for the movie. I think CG environments, rendered in 2-D shades of grey like a child's drawings, would look awesome. But while we're considering Selick, hell, why not Burton?

Posts: 5 | Location: New Orleans, LA., U.S.A. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A correction...2-D environments for the "other" world" is what I meant. But again: Burton and Elfman together can do no wrong...excusing, of course, Planet of the Apes.

Posts: 5 | Location: New Orleans, LA., U.S.A. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynell:
I think you're right on the mark about Henry Selick. He'd be perfect! But I think stop motion wouldn't have the right feel for the movie. I think CG environments, rendered in 2-D shades of grey like a child's drawings, would look awesome. But while we're considering Selick, hell, why not Burton?

It's not so much considering Selick as Selick is the guy signed onto the project. And it doesn't have to be stop-motion - he did do Monkey Bone (ugh) which was mostly live action, and James & the Giant peach had some (much better, let's judge by that) live action as well

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also did A/The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I think beats both the afforementioned films(which is really why I mentioned Burton--he basically created the look for the film). All this to say: I'm glad they've hired someone capable of capturing the dark, humorous tone of the book. Let's hope we get to see it soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mR pSYcHo:
What do you think of Henry Selick directing a Coraline movie? I've read Michelle Pfeiffer will play the mother and the other mother. I think the movie will look great in stop motion! But I'd love the whole "other" world to be created entirely with stop motion, just as Selick did when James enters the giant peach in "James and the giant peach".

I'd also like Danny Elfman to do the score!

Have heard Michelle Pfeiffer is probably not going to play the Mother/Other Mother. Who else might make an interesting choice? Renee Zelweger surprised everyone with her perfect English accent in "Bridgit Jones' Diary".s

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see Miranda Richardson as the mother! She's British and a great actress. Other choices: Emily Watson and Kristin Scott Thomas.

Posts: 5 | Location: Barcelona, Spain | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Remiel
posted Hide Post
I hear Nicole Kidman is in the running to play Mother/Other Mother. Personally, I'd prefer Cate Blanchett. Or Kirstin Scott Thomas, yes.
Who'd play Coraline tho?
I'm thinking Mara Wilson, but she's probably a little old now.
Maybe Dakota Fanning from I Am Sam. But she's so blonde tho.

Jean Pierre Jeunet to direct. Yessss..... (see City of Lost Children)

Posts: 38 | Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes!!! City of Lost Children! What a lovely and disturbing tale.

posted Hide Post
I hope the film is stop motion animation. That would give it a really "Burtonesque" attitude. Watch The Nightmare before christmas

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow... sounds like I really need to read the book! I actually learned of it because some stop-motion people were talking about Selick's next project.

From what I know, I highly doubt the film will be entirely, or even mostly, animated. And as for Selick and Burton working together again... that would be a dream, but I don't think it's going to happen (at least not for a while). Two main reasons:

One, Burton is currently busy working on his new film "Big Fish," and possibly--finally--starting another stop-motion film in England called "Corpse Bride," without Selick.

And two, Burton and Selick had a fallout after making "James & the Giant Peach." Burton was co-producing it and working on "Mars Attacks!" at the time, and was hoping to do the Martians in stop-motion at first. He knew all the best stop-motion animators would be over working for Selick, so he tried to steal them for "Mars Attacks!" Selick didn't take too kindly to that.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of black annis
posted Hide Post
I agree it would be great as a stop-motion film (as long as Burton's involved) and as long as the story isn't butchered and turned into Hollywood schmaltz like has been done time and time again to Roald Dahl's books (look at what they fucking did toMatilda)

Posts: 134 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post