New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coraline Movie
 Login/Join

Picture of GloomCookie
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the movie is still going ahead? I'd love to hear more about it. I hope it does go ahead, I'd love to see it! I think it'd make an awesome movie.

Posts: 2 | Location: Australia | Registered: February 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard any news recently for or against it. With movies though, never trust they'll be made til it's been made. Hollywood is so fickle.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lady of Shadows
posted Hide Post
I think that in the movie they should make the real world live and the "Other" stop action like "Nightmare before Christmas." Miranda Richardson would definetly make a great mother. Have any of you seen "Sleepy Hollow?" But I totally agree that most movies that have been made from books are just ruined. With the possible exception of Lord of the Rings. I will never watch "Interview with a Vampire" because of what they did to Lestat. They should cast Coraline from some unknown English girl.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever they do, they must immediately squelch all sense of Chris-Columbusitis in which the entire plot and mood is ruined by a catchphrase and a juvenile grimace. Cutesy better be accompanied by creepy and scary.

I dare to dream an impossible dream that some marvelous film wizard will adapt the book, because she or he loves it. Rather than pimp the story for money and products placements.

The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer.~Oliver Wendell Holmes

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ~Betrand Russell

Posts: 7 | Location: washington | Registered: February 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa B.
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I guess I am looking forward to a movie about coraline, but I would much rather see some of his other works first. Coraline wa great, but being mostly a childrens book, it was certainly the simplest thing he's written.

Posts: 6 | Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
In many ways that makes it one of the best suited for the screen. The more complex the story is, the more they'd have to trim and rework to fit it into a 2 hour slot.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa B.
posted Hide Post
That's true, but I think those changes from the novel to the adaptation can give the screenwriter a chance for some originality. That's what makes the movie version worth seeing sometimes.

Posts: 6 | Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what about Jan Svankmajer? He's done a number of wonderful things on a tenth of the average hollywood b-picture budget... and he's obviously predisposed to neil's vibe...

Posts: 1 | Location: portsmouth, nh, new england | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annairia
posted Hide Post
Are all of Gaiman's books movies?! How do you know this stuff?

annairia

Posts: 8 | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annairia
posted Hide Post
Actually, Lisa B, Coraline is not certainly Gaiman's simplest book. If you have heard of a good deal of Gaiman's books, you would soon find that his only picture book, The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish is certainly his most juvenile book.

annairia

Picture of Annairia
posted Hide Post
erratum is from NH? I was born there. Good for you!

annairia

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annairia:
Are all of Gaiman's books movies?! How do you know this stuff?

Go to the exclusive area of neilgaiman.com to find an essay about the various movie projects. ok, that's mostly scripts he's worked on, but yes, most of his major works have been optioned.
-GMZoe, still waiting for the Duran Duran movie, that'll rock!

Picture of Lisa B.
posted Hide Post
Thank you for correcting me Annairia. Obviously, I just don't know as much about Neil Gaiman's work as you do. I should keep my opinions to myself from now on.

Wait? How can I post anything then....

Oh well.

Picture of CrazyDiamond
posted Hide Post
It's okay LisaB. I can see how many adults can find it pretty annoying to be corrected by an adolescent.

It's not that I'm different--everyone else is the same!

Posts: 4 | Location: USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CrazyDiamond
posted Hide Post
oh yeah.. and a little note to say i changed my name-if your wondering

It's not that I'm different--everyone else is the same!

Posts: 4 | Location: USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lamiaboo
posted Hide Post
Coraline would be the scariest movie out ever and there is no doubt it should be a movie

A faries heart burns fast and free

Posts: 1 | Location: Rochester, NY USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Somnambulist
posted Hide Post
Hurrah. Miranda Richardson for Mother and Other Mother.

That would be great.

I think that something interesting should be done for the other world, like taking the normal film and making it look a bit like a drawing (i think someone else has suggested that on this thread, if so: good idea.)

Who do you think should play the other parts?

The same problems (i.e those of potential crapness) apply to the films of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. But they will have an all English cast, I hear. And quite right too.

I think the films are usually disappointing, but its not so bad if you have already read the book. The real problem is if you see the film first; then you cant form your own images.

[This message was edited by The Somnambulist on April 05, 2003 at 08:49 AM.]

Posts: 482 | Location: UK | Registered: April 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think coraline would make a very good movie, mostly because of the parts which are narrated, like Gaiman's description of coraline in the start of the book. a movie wouldn't really be able to convey that.

Posts: 17 | Registered: April 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
but that's true of every book that's made into a movie

Picture of The Somnambulist
posted Hide Post
Judy Dench for Miss Spink or Miss Forcible?

good idea or bad idea?

Who is stronger than hope? Death
Who is stronger than the will? Death
Stronger than love? Death
Stronger than life? Death

But who is stronger than death?
Me, evidently
-Ted Hughes

Posts: 482 | Location: UK | Registered: April 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post