Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coraline Movie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Okay, I'd like to say something very important about the Coraline film to Henry Selick,

FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T SCREW WITH THE FILM!

People, look at Laikia.com and click 'CORALINE MOVIE' this film may never even happen for its' been in pre-production for years now they made a painting of Coraline on the website and she looks like a fucking disney cartoon, its' so stupid, almost as stupid as Selick (yes, you heard me people)

Neil Gaiman, if you actually read your message boards, read this: STOP THIS, pleasse Frown
I'd LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE to help make this movie, I have even written a 100 page screenplay (songs not included, if there ARE any) and its' taken me so long, please someone JUST TELL ME HOW TO CONTACT NEIL GAIMAN! THIS SCREENPLAY IS GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

I don't want Henry Selick writing the film, he didn't do shit on The Nightmare before christmas or James and the giant peach besides directing. Have you people ever seen his horrible films? My Lord, MOONGIRL SUCKED OUT LOUD WITH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS AND HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!

Overall, Neil Gaiman and possibly Dave McKean are the only ones that can stop this crap from spawning and Dakota Fanning better use a British accent and a damn good one to or else that will make it eve WORSE!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 52 | Location: FUCK PANDABEARS! | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Nick Stefanovic:

Neil Gaiman, if you actually read your message boards, read this: STOP THIS, pleasse Frown

He doesn't. From the FAQ :

quote:
Neil Gaiman does not contribute to these boards. If you wish to send him a comment or question, you may do so with the FAQ feature of neilgaiman.com, here . He gets hundreds of FAQs and cannot reply to them all, but he does try to read them all. Watch the blog for answers.
Suggestions: Neil is unlikely to reanswer questions he's answered before. Use the search function to the left of his journal to see if he's answered your question before. (The links are all labeled backwards, but the search function is there.) This message board is also a good source for answers to general questions.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ariany
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the point about studio Ghibli adapting it instead? That would, quite simply, be a dream come true. Hayao Miyazaki is a brilliant craftsman and understands how to bring fantasy to both adult audiences and children without diluting the original material.

Yeah, I think Hayao Miyazaki could make a good job of it. However, as someone mentioned above....Howl's Moving Castle, as an example. I thought the movie adaption was terrible, and I love that book. Diana Wynne Jones is my favourite author (with Neil Gaiman coming in a close second!) and I was really disappointed by the way he changed the story pretty much completely. Although, I must concede, he was brought onto the project pretty late and he didn't have a lot of time. Watching it, it really kind of felt like he'd cobbled a whole lot of scenes from his previous movies together...did anyone else get that feeling? A lot of the scenes were so similar to other movies done.

But I think he COULD do an adaption of Coraline reasonably well. With Henry Selick, O=one thing that I'd hate to happen to Coraline is what happened to Nightmare Before Christmas....merchandiser's wet dream. But then again, that was mostly due to Tim Burton's name on it. But still. I haven't seen much of Henry Selick's stuff, so I can't honestly judge, but it should be ok. I just hope it doesn't get all mainstream-y (not that I have anything against it becoming popular) and get its edge taken off, to kind of sanitise it, I guess.

Hmm. I'm not entirely sure if a lot of that made sense.

----------
It's not illegal if it's hilarious.

Posts: 28 | Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: February 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stainboy
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to start out by saying "Hi I'm new here." and what not. *Phew* Glad to get that out of the way. Smile

I'm glad Henry Selick is slated to direct this movie. He did a wonderful job on Nightmare and James and the Giant Peach, so it should be interesting to see what he'll come up with for Coraline.

However, I think the *best* choice for a film adaptation of Coraline--especially seeing as much of it will be in stop motion--would be Jan Svankmajer. (If you've never heard of him, watch Alice and Little Otik.

- - -
Ethos - credibility
Pathos - emotional appeals
Logos - logic, rhetoric

Posts: 21 | Location: MN | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Nightmare before christmas, genius, James and the giant peach, there were quite a few
flaws, but OK

Monkeybone and Moongirl however, have you people ever seen that crap? Moongirl and Monkeybone are his 'own' things, and he has the hands TO REALLY MESS UP THIS MOVIE! Moongirl and Monkeybone, the two Ms, sucked
Whoever likes them need to stop beating-off and know what art really is. Tim Burton has more of the artistic ability to do this film and even though Corspe Bride wasn't GREAT, it was still good to see it was dark and better than James and the giant peach

Henry Selick says they'll be songs, Now what the hell was that all about right everybody?! Songs, is he going to put that damn dirtbag Randy douche Newman doing the songs instead of actual talent like Danny Elfman
If Newman does the songs they'll suck like the ones in James and The Giant Peach (example the half-assed songs in that film like 'LOVE, IT'S THE BLAH BLOODY BLAH')
Henry Selick can't write, he can barely animate (but not without that crappy Laikia entertaiment) and his directing is terrible. He has never written anything before execpt that damn 'SLOW BOB IN OTHER DIMENSONS' load of donkey. Selick is NOT the creative vissionary, if you want an artist that has the talent to help the film at least get Burton or Dirge (Roman)

Posts: 52 | Location: FUCK PANDABEARS! | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
As far as the songs go, I think Neil has announced that they'll be done by They Might Be Giants. When he was in our area last year, he sounded very pleased about this and the way Coraline was shaping up.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
AICN posted this story about Henry Selick and Coraline. Not really too much new information, only that Selick seems really excited about trying to do justice to Neil's book.

At least he's got his goals right.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, if it's THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, that's fine. I just thought Randy bloody Newman was going to mess with the film

posted Hide Post
Georgie Henley for Coraline
Miranda Richardson for Mother/Other Mother
Judi Dench and Meryl Streep as Misses Spink and Forcible
Christpher Plummer as The Circus Man
Johnny Dep[p to voice the Cheshire Cat
Timothy Spall as Father/Other Father

too bad it will never happen...Frown

The below sentence is true.
The above sentence is false.

Posts: 9 | Location: Umm...here | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cast
(voices)
mother/OM-Miranda Richardson
Miss Spink and Miss Forcible-Judi Dench
Crazy old man-Christopher Lloyd
cat-Jeremy Irons

posted Hide Post
Dudes, i can't believe it. I only just found out that a film of this is being made! I checked out the Laika site, they're hiring like mad. A large part of this is going to be CG then. And they're going to use maya! I can't staaaaaaand maya. Hmm getting all geeky there. I don't have high hopes for this if its going to be animated in the US. No offence to any americans...errr..yeah i'm kinda excited about this. Maybe i should brush up on maya and apply for junior toilet cleaner over there?

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the movie will be unlike anything we have seen.
Just put the pieces together people!

To suggest that Henry Selick would do Disney style is ludicrous!

You love Neil Gaiman so trust that he is taking care of his story. Be thankful that you get to see the story on the silver screen. (that is, if your bad attitude doesn't get you kicked out of the theater)

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tankgirl
posted Hide Post
I am so excited about this movie. I really liked the book and I like the names that are getting attached to it. I am the most excited about TMBG doing the music and French and Saunders doing voices. YEAH!!!

I hope it good I have a long time to wait till this comes out.

------Win the Artwork in my Icon while supporting CBLDF check it out on my LJ bloodroseflower http://bloodroseflower.livejournal.com/8267.html or my website!!-------------

Posts: 22 | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pearl Prynne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IWannaBeADecemberist:
Georgie Henley for Coraline
Miranda Richardson for Mother/Other Mother
Judi Dench and Meryl Streep as Misses Spink and Forcible
Christpher Plummer as The Circus Man
Johnny Dep[p to voice the Cheshire Cat
Timothy Spall as Father/Other Father

too bad it will never happen...Frown

Georgie Henley was my candidate for Coraline too. Why did they get Fanning? She's American...in fact, Teri Hatcher is American too..

Not that I'm anti-American--I AM American--but Coraline is supposed to be British.

"What was once your life, is now your legend." ~Brom

"You have to trust me. For this must be done." ~Aslan

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." ~Albus Dumbledore

"Because, when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave." ~Coraline

"It is the deep breath before the plunge."~Gandalf

Posts: 6 | Location: I can't say; I'm under contract from Mickey Mouse | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheMockTurtle
posted Hide Post
I think what people have to realize is that a movie is not a book and a book is not a movie. They have different needs and paces.
What will define the success of this movie is whether it succesfully translates the idea that is at the centre of the book. Which may mean changing a few things here and there, cutting things that worked in the book but may not work on a movie adaptation.

Posts: 7 | Location: Not really at the bottom, but not quite at the top. | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The film will be entirely stop-motion with some cg effects. All the concept art looks great. From what I know the film will be completed by next year, 2008. And listen to MockTurtle; fans of books are routinely disappointed by the movie adaptations, because of all the changes to the story that usually takes place. I have complete confidence with Mr. Selick and his vision. I'm sure it'll be great.

Posts: 3 | Location: east coast, baby | Registered: January 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the book and loved it! I can't wait untul the movie comes out. Big Grin

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well this bites, the last time someone posted was in Janurary.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Stop-Motion movies take a long time to produce. They are in the middle of making it, it'll be a while before new news arrives

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
willowtreeling, I wouldn't bank on your script there. if you know the animation feature film biz, scripts are malleable, shifting, often changing, even right up to the point of filming for that day.

if anyone went to platform festival in portland recenty, henry did a presentation on coraline. it was very cool. he showed the crowd how they came up with the character designs for coraline herself (there were about three designers on it) as well as a scene of her running about in the kitchen. it was amazing stuff.

and if i remember correctly, i think that there'll be some coraline mentionings at comic con.

Posts: 3 | Location: east coast, baby | Registered: January 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post