New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book vs. Movie
 Login/Join

Picture of Storm
posted
Hello, all. I'm Megan, and this is my very first post!

Anyway, I saw lots of threads about the book, and lots about the movie, but no comparisons/ adaptation reviews. Thought that would make a good topic. Smile

Book: 1/ Movie: 8
spoilers marked

Wonderful film, but shockingly enough, I couldn't even finish the book. It would have been forgettably acceptable from virtually any other author, but I expect more from Gaiman.

The movie is delightful, though not really suitable for the children it was marketed to. It's intensely creepy, and rather reminiscent of Farscape's mantra of “everything you want... in the worst possible way.” The Other World is a dream come true, yet haunted by vague menace which eventually blossoms into nightmare.

With the brilliant Henry Selick (who rarely gets the credit he deserves for The Nightmare Before Christmas) directing, the animation is gorgeous and fits the plot and mood perfectly. The soundtrack is solid, as well.

The book, otoh, is a remarkably sub-par offering from one of my favorite authors. Coraline is never tempted by the Other Mother, finding the whole experience rather frightening. But without the initial temptation, the scary elements lose punch. She's also much younger, probably why she's portrayed as less clever and competent.

Also, while I don't hold it against the book, I missed Wybie! It's my habit to watch before reading whenever possible, since I usually find film adaptations inferior. I think the addition of Wybie (and Other Wybie) was a great improvement. He served as both foil and ally, and the development of their friendship was lovely.

{SPOILERS}
I gave up on the book before I got to the tragic sacrifices of the Other Father and Other Wybie, which were the most moving parts of the film for me. Especially the Other Father... a creature created by the Beldam for a single purpose: to love Coraline. And he did. >sob!<

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
welcome Storm

i haven't seen someone post on this many different threads right away since i joined

i agree with you for the most part on the book...the more you see me talk on here, the more you'll see that i really don't care too much for gaiman's kids lit books

i liked the graveyard book...but nowhere near as much as his adult books

i thought coraline (book) was really slow...i dont know why though, most of gaiman's books i will breeze through in one or two sittings, but coraline took me over a week for some reason...i just couldnt get into it

the idea is good (even though it has been done many times before) and it was well written, but for once i definitely had to like the movie more

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by that scott guy:
i agree with you for the most part on the book...the more you see me talk on here, the more you'll see that i really don't care too much for gaiman's kids lit books

i liked the graveyard book...but nowhere near as much as his adult books

It's funny... Roughly since American Gods, I've liked Gaiman's writings for young readers considerably better than the things he's written for adults. With the latter I tend to think that they're lacking in structure and that they don't live up to their ambitions. They've all got fantastic episodes but for me they hold together much less well than Coraline and The Graveyard Book.

Regardless of this, though, Selick's Coraline is a fantastic take on the book and probably the best Gaiman movie.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with you, but there has only been...what?...one adult novel since american gods?
im probably blanking on something but i can only think of anansi boys as post american gods adult novel

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Even as just a movie, Coraline is great. That it comes from good source material just makes it that much more likely.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48705 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
There are also the short stories, especially the ones in Fragile Things, which IMO are mainly addressed at an adult readership (or at least not specifically at younger readers). I love NG's Smoke and Mirrors but found myself annoyed with the majority of the ones in FT.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i do forget about those sometimes thrith...but im right in the fact that there has been only one novel since american gods though right?

Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
Only one novel for adults, yes.

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Hi Storm Smile

I will have to respectfully disagree with you.
I liked the movie, but I like the book much better. Where I think the movie missed out was on how self reliant Coraline had to be in the book. Wybie in my opinion was completely unnecessary. By saving her at the end he diminished the strength of Coraline as a powerful and self reliant female hero, or heroine.
The movie was creative and entertaining, but to me it lacked the creepiness and otherworldliness of the book.
My last knock on the movie is a bit unfair, but the Dave Mckean illustrations really set the mood for me so much more than the animation of the movie. Don't get me wrong, I think Selick is a genius and Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all time favorites, but here I thought the mood was not right.
Had I never knew the book existed and this movie was a stand alone project I am sure it would be fine, but it pales in my opinion to the book.

The world would be boring if we all had the same tastes and opinions though. Smile

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15865 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The world would be boring if we all had the same tastes and opinions though. Smile

Indeed!

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I pretty much echo Lan, except for his opinion that the movie lacked creepiness. It had more humour, certainly, but it was creepy enough. It's just that the book was way creepier because it's so much more intimate for me when I read a book than when I see a movie.

So for me it's book over movie, but this adaptation was the best one I've seen so far.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25171 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I enjoyed the book more. In comparison to the movies, the books are always better

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 5 | Registered: February 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer reading books more as compared to watching movies because books are collection of words that represent ideas when filtered through the lexical systems in a human brain...And also the main reason behind favoring books is that I am fond of reading..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 1 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Movies are much better than books. Movies give a video of story as well as the character. In books we imagine the characters.

Posts: 1 | Location: 262 W 107th St, New York, NY 10025 | Registered: October 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. Both are correct at their places. Books are helpful to increase your knowledge and your reading and writing skills. You can understand the what author want to tell you and it he put down his complete feeling in his book. Movies represents a reality of a people and their feelings. There is a narrow difference between books and movies.

Posts: 1 | Location: 2131 Blackstone Landing Dr, Kissimmee, FL 34758 | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D e l i r i u m
posted Hide Post
I first watched the movie when it came out a few years back, I was about 11 or so I believe. It effected me so much, I downloaded the soundtrack and would draw so much Coraline fan art it was ridiculous-- Then I read the book. Now it didn't have much of an effect on me as much as the movie, but I really loved it. To this day I have coraline posters and stickers on my wall, I even still having the official sewing pattern on how to make her Starry Sweater. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to Coraline.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the movie. Simply because of how beautiful the stop motion is, how the colours mended into this wonderful portrait of a movie.

"Sometimes the ones who know everything, are the ones who've lost everything as well."

Posts: 3 | Location: Dumpster. | Registered: March 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post