Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Coraline    coraline for adults?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

coraline for adults?
 Login/Join

posted
I know Coraline is a children's book, but is for adults as well? I've read all of Neil's other novels and was thinking about reading this one too. But I wasn't sure if it was a book aimed at just a young audience.

Posts: 17 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm 36 and I enjoyed it. However, it doesn't take very long to read it.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Honey:
I know Coraline is a children's book, but is for adults as well? I've read all of Neil's other novels and was thinking about reading this one too. But I wasn't sure if it was a book aimed at just a young audience.

Neil has often said something to the effect of : "Kids think the book is fun, adults have the crap scared out of them."*

There's a LOT of adults on this board who loved it.

*that is by no means a direct quote. So many words have been replaced that calling it a quote might be subject to libel. But you get the idea.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
It's a kid's book that adults can enjoy. I loved it.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
I loved it. A couple of my friends were quite scared by it. My then four-year-old cousin (who is a nervous kiddy) loved it.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool. i'll have to borrow it the next time i go to the library. i always end up borrowing books by Neil and then buying them because they're so good.

Posts: 17 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a 23-year-old boy.

I don't think Coraline is just for kids.

Neil's novel give me a fantastic reading taste.I am loving it!

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScrumYummy
posted Hide Post
I actually had a conversation about it with one of my coworkers. It scared the piss out of both of us XD And she has a daughter, who has very button-like eyes. And does creepy things like line items up in fours. So in some ways this book can make you see things in a different light, if you're an adult =D

-Scrum
The old man in the falafel cart is out to get you. This is your only warning.

Posts: 10 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got the book and I'm almost half way. It's good so far. I hope to finish it in a day or two.

Picture of __fadedxmemories
posted Hide Post
It's a shorter book for an adult, but I think they'll enjoy it nevertheless. Smile

Posts: 17 | Registered: December 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TO quote a certain 900 year old time traveler I know; "What's the point of being grown up is you can't act childish sometimes?"

I think that this book is definatly for adults. If I ever get to the age where I don't enjoy this book I hope I get hit by a bus. Many childrens books and films have plenty in them for adults, you just gotta have the right heart.

Posts: 23 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Archus dracomagii
Picture of Chomiji
posted Hide Post
>>> you just gotta have the right heart.<<<

What he said!

Kids' book can be utterly fantastic, no matter what your age.

- Cho

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
You are a Confectioner. Who can take a sunrise and sprinkle it with dew? Actually, that's Bob The Enchanter, two doors down on the left. But you make delectable treats, which is no simple feat considering Oompa Loompas won't be invented for three centuries. Not only do you delight with your sweets, but you've paved the way for a new profession: dentistry!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
the blog thing: From an Ayewards World ...

Posts: 2603 | Location: Takoma Park, MD, USA | Registered: June 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i liked it because it was nice and easy to read. being in college and having all kinds of long, boring books to read, this was a nice change of pace.

what about "the day i swapped my dad for two goldfish?" i've never seen the book in a bookstore, so i don't really know what it's about.

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
what about "the day i swapped my dad for two goldfish?" i've never seen the book in a bookstore, so i don't really know what it's about.

Well, it's a lot of fun (at least I thought it was), but it is a picture book, so it's aimed at younger kids than Coraline. When I used to substitute teach, I'd take it with me to 2nd or 3rd grade classes and they enjoyed it. Same thing goes for "The Wolves in the Wall," though I think I read that to some 6th graders who really dug it, too.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THe Day I Swaped My Dad For Two Goldfish is exact what the tittle suggesys its aobut. It was the first Neil book I read and I absolutaly love it. It's brilliant!

Posts: 23 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Honey:
i've never seen the book in a bookstore, so i don't really know what it's about.

That's because bookstores (i.e. Borders) tend to stock it in graphic novels despite it being a picture book.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my bookstore has all of neil's books in the science fiction section, which is where the graphic novels are too.

when i was looking at his books, i noticed terry pratchet's section and got his first book about his "discworld." i hope it's good, like good omens. i thought that book was so funny. the only bad part is if i like it, there's like 20 other books in the series. i might go broke.

posted Hide Post
I kind of hate the first couple of Discworld books. But that's just me.

I loooove most of the rest of the series though. I think the most recent ones are the best and have developed an underlying profound and serious tone that many of the earlier ones didn't have. Yet despite the more serious tone, the books are still incredibly funny and entertaining.

Posts: 21 | Location: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: July 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 19 and I enjoyed it, but it scared me rather bad

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DXM
posted Hide Post
I'm 23 and it scared the hell out of me too! lol. I mean, I'm not positive if this applies to everyone, but I found the fear in Coraline to be generated by our own inferences and perceptions which is why is transmutes from a fantasy for children to a really spooky tale for adults. I could be totally wrong, but it's just how I see it :S lol

Dave

Posts: 6 | Location: Near Liverpool, England | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post