Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Coraline    coraline for adults?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

coraline for adults?
 Login/Join

Picture of Ashes of Butterflies
posted Hide Post
15, so I'm basically a kiddie you most of you, but I absolutely loved Coraline, even though I finished it in less than two hours. Sometimes a simpler children's book is refreshing, anyway.

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

Posts: 5 | Location: Jeffersonville, IN | Registered: April 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[I'm 23 and it scared the hell out of me too! lol. I mean, I'm not positive if this applies to everyone, but I found the fear in Coraline to be generated by our own inferences and perceptions which is why is transmutes from a fantasy for children to a really spooky tale for adults. I could be totally wrong, but it's just how I see it :S lol]

i agree

Posts: 9 | Location: home | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm twenty and I loved Coraline. It didn't scare me but some other people I know that read it said it really freaked them out. Most of them were not that much older than me. I remember Neil said somewhere that kids love it and view it as an adventure story and adults are the ones who get freaked out. Does this mean I'm still a kid? Smile

Posts: 8 | Location: Pendleton, SC | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People have this assumption that books are only for a certain age and that once you are older you're too old and can't read them. I guess this might stem for some silly, when I was a child I thought like a child, but now that I'm an adult I have put childish things away, sort of lines that haven't stop anyone from playing Super Mario.

The wonderful thing about books (and movies) is that a good story doesn't have an upper age limit. Huck Finn doesn't cease to be enjoyable because you only begin to read Mark Twain when you're in your thirties instead of in high school; think of this as catching up on a classic you never had time to get around to before.

It's like loitering, but mean. -- Jon Stewart on lurking

Posts: 141 | Location: "east williamsburg" | Registered: August 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Markc2
posted Hide Post
I am adopted, when I was a baby, and when I got in trouble with my parents or they didn't see things the same way I did, there was this tendency to believe my REAL parents would understand me and accept me for who I am, and would see things the same way. Coraline kind of showed me the flip side of that in some ways.

Mark

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Books are for anyone who can appreciate them. Being written in a simple manner that children can read and not addressing topics considered to be adult content does not mean that an adult cannot enjoy the book.

Posts: 10 | Location: Canada | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jay.Malkav
posted Hide Post
I'm 20 and I remember being a bit skeptical of reading Coraline, I it read straight after finishing American Gods, and to be honest, I never regret reading it. Some parts of the book scared the hell out of me.

REALLY good book that appeals to both kids and adults, and that's why it's such a great book in my opinion!

Posts: 3 | Location: Behind the keyboard | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember Neil said somewhere that kids love it and view it as an adventure story and adults are the ones who get freaked out.

The rest of what Neil said was that adults see it as a child in danger. (that's why it freaks them out)

I know from my work that a lot of children / teen books are used in adult book clubs. As an adult you see things differently. A good writer can capture a wide audience.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
P.S. I'm 40 and loved the book!

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Me (old) and my eleven year old daughter read it. And she doesn't read much at all. She loved it and I loved it.

It's a book you can read slowly and really relish even though it's a quite short (but then I do that with all Mr Gaiman's books!)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This book is for all ages. It's a magnificent story. But reading the book before the movie is better.

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nevereverland
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Coraline is wonderful at any age. So much rich imagery!

*Call me button eyes*

If vegetarians eat vegetables what do humanitarians eat?

Posts: 62 | Location: Everywhere all at once | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know Coraline is a children's book, but is for adults as well? I've read all of Neil's other novels and was thinking about reading this one too. But I wasn't sure if it was a book aimed at just a young audience.

It may seem like Coraline is just a children's book because the protagonist is a child, but I think it's more than that. It still presents with Gaiman's personal brand of dark fantasy, which appeals to all ages.

I'm new by the way, but a long-time fan of Gaiman's. I'm really glad to have found this site.

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Melody
posted Hide Post
it's a kids book for sure, but the kid inside me needed it so bad! i went back to wonderland, it was fantastic!
the other mother gave me nightmares and I am 22! my poor cousin couldn't sleep for days after seeing the movie. she's 6! I said to her father that he was insane and stuff, I thought she'll be scared forever - she is, but she asked me the soundtrack to play in her cell.

Funny how it mede me look to my relacionship with MY mother. it's a fight for deciding who is the woman in the house. funny how the other dad is only a puppet. it's a girls' book, and I loved!

~~
pela estrada afora eu vou bem sozinha...

Posts: 3 | Location: Santos - Brazil | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LittleWolfTaima
posted Hide Post
I think the book is intended for children more with its coming of age theme, but clearly holds some appeal with adults. This might be due to the scare-factor or pleasure in knowing their children are reading a book with substance. Not so sugarcoated with strong themes, messages and characters, much like Watership Down, described by Robert C O'Brian as a'grown-up book for children'.

For a more adult version of Coraline, one should look to Pan's Lanyrinth...

Posts: 3 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw another day,thats when coraline was at television ( without restriction ),the day after the movie,many parents called for television w/ a lot of reclamation,because "its not a normal movie and kids cant see it"... thats complicate ... after that,here in brazil,only +14,if im not wrong,can see...

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And about my opinion...talk about age is complicated...age is nothing nowadays

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post