Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    why does shadow say "say nevermore" to the raven?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why does shadow say "say nevermore" to the raven?
 Login/Join

posted
On p 158 (paperback) shadow says to the raven "say nevermore," to which the raven replies "fuck you." Now, I understand that nevermore is another book by Neil, but I do not understand this at all. Can someone please explain it to me?

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a reference to Edgar Allen Poe's poem The Raven:

"Quoth the raven, 'Nevermore.'" (Repeated numerous times.)

Oh, and the other Gaiman book is Neverwhere, not Nevermore. Smile I highly recommend it, either in book form or the recently released audiobook.

"It's never too late to find out who you might have been."

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ahhh i see. that makes total sense now, thanks.

and oops on getting the name wrong, shoulda known that (was reading about it last night)

i'll be sure to check it out. thanks.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
The Raven

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lolwut?

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
If you click the link Smaug provided you'll be able to read Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven.

I'm merely assuming that "lolwut" translates to, "I don't understand what you meant and humbly seek further enlightenment".

On a tangent - I really thought it was obvious that Neil referred to the poem. It's been alluded to in so many books and tv shows (especially Halloween specials) that I just assumed everyone knew about it.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hahaha you were right on the dot with that translation. I understand the allusion to the poem, I was saying that to Smaug's talk of accomptants and kings...had me severely confused.

I don't read much Poe, which is probably why I missed the reference.

Thanks for all the replies.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
ahhh...

the accomptant is my sig, thats why it's under the ~ it is my job description, one of a bunch that were written for some of us here by one our of our talented regulars (Royko to be exact).

why don't you pop over to the worlds end where the social talk and action is, say hello, meet a few people, you may one day find yourself with a member title or even, if you stick around long enough with a job description!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeahh, i should have realized that was your sig. my bad, -1 for me =(

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
don't worry about it, it is a bit longer than the sig i use to have. i've sometimes though of removing it back down to the last two lines, but it means too much to me! Smile

~

CHIKKINZ?

Picture of Spiny Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral Out 283:

Shadow didn't strike me as an avid reader himself.

This is nøt å signåture.™

Posts: 15 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Nevermore

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DarkKnightJared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiny Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral Out 283:

Shadow didn't strike me as an avid reader himself.

He did read a lot when he was in prison, if I remember correctly. Plus, like someone else mentioned, Poe and The Raven are kind-of pop culture at this point and even your most unread of people could probably get pretty close to the answer if you mention "nevermore" to them.

Posts: 23 | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EmmyShimmy
posted Hide Post
I thought this a was beautifully done. I get sick of seeing all those Halloween specials. Besides if I walked up to a raven and said "nevermore" I would expect nothing less.

~and i know i have been driven like the snow~

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts - they alter the facts to fit their views.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmmyShimmy:
Besides if I walked up to a raven and said "nevermore" I would expect nothing less.

Exactly. I loved that moment, laughed at that moment and felt for the raven - it reminded me of people asking me how can I live without TV. (Or any other thing you hear over and over, so you're already fed up with it...)

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marmota-b:
quote:
Originally posted by EmmyShimmy:
Besides if I walked up to a raven and said "nevermore" I would expect nothing less.

Exactly. I loved that moment, laughed at that moment and felt for the raven - it reminded me of people asking me how can I live without TV. (Or any other thing you hear over and over, so you're already fed up with it...)

A CLASSIC reply indeed- ESPECIALLY after Huginn (or Muninn, whichever it was) had gone out of his (her?) way to assist Shadow back to the road-- and Shadow goes and makes a silly request like that for no reason.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this Poe reference hilarious! I laughed for 2 days after reading that.

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shadow was a keen reading bean when he was younger, if you think back to the extract where Shadow remembers his mother dying, its clear there that he used to be a constant reader of fiction, but that its inability to protect or shield him from the horrors of reality such as his mother's death. He also says that in the year where he grew from a small skinny teenager to the man he grew up to be that he spent the summer reading and swimming.

Tangerine

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tangerine:
Shadow was a keen reading bean when he was younger, if you think back to the extract where Shadow remembers his mother dying, its clear there that he used to be a constant reader of fiction, but that its inability to protect or shield him from the horrors of reality such as his mother's death is what pushed him away from fiction and into "the real world". He also says that in the year where he grew from a small skinny teenager to the man he grew up to be that he spent the summer reading and swimming.

Tangerine

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post