Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    Just read this book for the first time and omg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just read this book for the first time and omg
 Login/Join

posted
I don't often read fiction. When I do, it tends to be sci-fi/fantasy/speculative stuff.

I've known Gaiman's work through blogs like i09 and BoingBoing, but never actually read any of his stuff.

See, I don't like fiction. Or rather, I like it too much. A GOOD book will transport you to the author's world, enrapture you, and then dump you at the side of the road when the story's done. That's depressing.

After all these years, I finally read American Gods, prompted by the news of the Starz TV series.

Absolutely loved it. And he's nailed the parts of America he wrote about (all regions I'm very familiar with).

I'm very happy that this is the FIRST book of his I've read. So much other stuff to discover!

(also, is there a name for the trope about transcendental creatures gaining power from the memories of living mortals? I've seen it used to describe the dead before, but this is the first time I've seen it used with gods)

Thanks, Neil. Thoroughly enjoyable yarn!

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Isn't it great!?

I must admit to prefer this older fiction to many of his I read these days. His blog from the start is wonderful too.

Sorry, I can't answer the question about transcendental creatures but I'm sure if you ask him either here or on twitter or tumblr, he may answer you (if it makes its way through the storm of everything online to him that is!)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post