Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    Shadow's Role in Wednesday's Plan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow's Role in Wednesday's Plan
 Login/Join

posted
Why, exactly, did Wednesday need Shadow as part of his plan? One explanation I've seen is that Shadow merely served as a distraction to help prevent the other gods from noticing Wednesday's and Loki's two-man scam. But that seems a little weak to me.

Could it be that Odin was scamming Loki along with everyone else, and that his real plan was to die and stay dead (just as ended up happening) and be replaced by Shadow/Baldur? Maybe Wednesday knew that he could never fully prosper in America, but he thought that his son, being half-American by birth, could do so.

I know that Wednesday wouldn't be selfless, but maybe the idea was that by completing Odin's vigil, Shadow would in some substantial sense "become" Odin, and that he therefore would be the best chance for Wednesday's essential self to carry on and triumph? After all, Odin--as I think the book mentions (and I know the tv series has Vulcan mention it)-- has been known to sacrifice himself to himself before; so if he thought of Shadow as his next, more powerful "self," he might have sacrificed himself to Shadow.

It might even be that Wednesday meant for Shadow to expose the two-man scam, thus getting all the gods, new and old, to believe in him. If Shadow can have the gods believe in him and draw on that belief the way the other gods draw on the belief of mortals, couldn't Shadow become, in effect, a god of gods? He's already both sun (as Baldur) and Moon, so it seems like when Wednesday picked Ms. Moon as his son's mother, he might have been planning for that son to become a new and more powerful Allfather, and not just a distraction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianOS,

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post