Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    The American Gods Re-read thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The American Gods Re-read thread
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted
In anticipation of the show premiering next spring, I am hosting a re-read of American Gods, beginning in December. My goal will be to do a re-cap and some thoughts for each chapter (we will see how this works in practice, but this is my goal). So dust of your copies and get ready!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12400 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great concept, looking forward to it!

Is this the author's preferred text or the original 2001 edition?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JJWeir,

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be using the author's preferred text (having given away my original copy).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 12400 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter One

In this chapter, we meet Shadow who is in prison. He had a cellmate, Low Key Lyesmith, who gave him some good advice and a copy of Herodotus. Shadow is released from prison a few days early due to the death of his wife, Laura. He dreams of a buffalo man who gives him a warning. En route home, Shadow meets a man called Mr. Wednesday who offers him a job. Bilquis has a snack.

I've re-read this novel a few times over the past fifteen years, but find myself noticing new things that slipped by on previous reads. During the current read, I picked up on a fellow inmate of Shadow's who is named Sam Fetisher. He tells Shadow that a storm is on its way and warns Shadow to keep his head down. My memory is failing me if we ever meet this character again in the book, thinking likely not, but am curious as to his true mythological identity.

In this chapter is also the first possible hint to Shadow's true identity: on the bus ride to the airport, Shadow imagines himself long ago, with wild hair and beard, leaving an attic room in which he had been imprisoned, the guards walking him into a plaza.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Chapter Two

Shadow runs into Wednesday at a bar, accepts the job offer, brawls with a leprechaun, and acquires a gold coin. At Laura's funeral, he learns some uncomfortable truths about her death and tosses the gold coin in her grave. On his way back from the funeral, Shadow is kidnapped by very odd young man.

We get a couple of more hints here as to Wednesday's true identity: Mad Sweeney calls him a tree-hanger; as Wednesday drives them from the bar, two black birds stare at them. What is so enjoyable this time around are all of the subtle hints and nudges that didn't quite catch me the other times I made this journey with Shadow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia's Vengeance:
Chapter One

I've re-read this novel a few times over the past fifteen years, but find myself noticing new things that slipped by on previous reads. During the current read, I picked up on a fellow inmate of Shadow's who is named Sam Fetisher. He tells Shadow that a storm is on its way and warns Shadow to keep his head down. My memory is failing me if we ever meet this character again in the book, thinking likely not, but am curious as to his true mythological identity.

I cheated (Google) :

A fetisher is another word for a Bokono, or vodun priest

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, that makes a lot of sense then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Chapter Three

Shadow has an ominous dream about dead gods. He and his deceased wife rendezvous back at his hotel after her funeral. Wednesday gets laid.

More subtle hints here about gods being able to die. The road trip is about to start. Buckle up everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Dark Horse Comics has just announced a new American Gods comic. Called American Gods: Shadows. The preview, though sounds like it's going to be a retelling of American Gods.

Dark Horse American Gods

First issue: March 15, 2017

Posts: 20 | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw that. A re-telling in comic form, especially if there are some added bits, could be interesting and I might be enticed to purchase. I wonder if the post American Gods short stories would be incorporated into the comics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Now that I think of it, I bet it will be a host of miniseries, each being 4-6 comics long that will be then packaged as graphic novels collections.

Posts: 20 | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapters Four, Five, and Six

Shadow meets new Russian friends, wins and looses at checkers, and gains a new coin. Mind over matter powers emit snow upon Chicago as Wednesday scams to get cash. Shadow’s circle of new contacts expands when at the House on the Rock, Shadow meets a Mr. Nancy. The group rides a carousel and Shadow sees the gods. Wednesday is revealed to be Odin. En route to post-carousel meet dinner, we have the first introduction of the mysterious man that can’t quite be remembered. Shadow is abducted, again, and saved by Laura.

Shadow straddled the line between belief and disbelief, and after the meeting at the House on the Rock, appears to believing what is happening around him is real. We see the first instance of Shadow's on abilities as the narrative continues its onward journey.

The mention of a carousel set me on a Google hunt to find antique carousel horses. Turns out, there are some gems up for sale from the House on the Rock’s own carousel if you have at least $20K to spare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Reading that passage about the carousel, I always wondered why Odin went for the golden wolf and not a certain eight legged horse. I've looked around online and not managed to find a comprehensive list of the animals on the carousel but I suppose that Neil may have taken animals that were actually on the carousel to use in his book rather than placing his own on?

I can't think of any other reason for Sleipnir's exclusion?

Joe

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was to subtly introduce Wednesday as Odin? It later speaks of a second wolf, a twin to the one Wednesday rides, keeping pace with them, which would serve as an introduction of Freki and Geri.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
So, I've pretty much binged the rest of the book this past week. Will post my thoughts later. The more I crawled into the story, the more it reminded me of why I fell in love with it in the first place, why it is my favorite Gaiman novel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I still need to post my thoughts on the remainder of the book, but until then, I found this journal entry from back when I first read AG in 2001: "have mostly finished "American Gods".. that's one thing done. Guess I should read for class, but Richard III isn't looking all that appetizing right now, Neil is stealing me away every moment I gravitate towards Richard."

<3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
The show premieres tonight!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~