Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    The Golden Sun Coin from the Hoarde
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Golden Sun Coin from the Hoarde
 Login/Join

posted
When Shadow plucks the gold coin from the hoarde using Mad Sweeney's technique, he actually talkes the golden sun and this causes Mad Sweeney to die. What exactly did Shadow take? Why is the Leprechaun's life tied to this coin? What is the hoarde?

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really know, but it is said in the book that the coin is much too important for Sweeney or Shadow to possess.

As for the hoarde, I'm going to guess it's where all Leprechaun gold is kept. They simply tap into it. Think of a storehouse that isn't physically there. It's more like something on another plane. But Leprecauns, and Shadow, are able to grab out of it. There's mention of a rainbow in there somewhere. There isn't literally a pot of gold under rainbows, but all the gold is in some way tied to them.

That's my take on part of it at least.

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in the book Shadow says that Mad Sweeney died of drink, exposure, blah blah blah, I was kinda surprised because I was thinking that something would have killed him for losing the golden coin... So am I right or did he just suddenly die?

*Bangs head against wall in confusion*

Posts: 7 | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wild horses did drag her away, once - long story
Picture of the madness of queen monk
posted Hide Post
Mad Sweeney died for the reasons he said he wanted to: "I can get out of here," said Sweeney. "I can get away before the storm hits." No one could kill Sweeney for losing that particular gold coin, but he wanted to die himself if he didn't have its protection.

"this whole blonde doctor situation has me mortified"
---
and I don't normally advocate music I love, but go see www.myspace.com/umbrellatree and thank me later!

Posts: 1540 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K-templar
posted Hide Post
He didn't just die, either, I suspect. From all the connotations and clues, his "twenty-dollar ticket" was the alcohol, which numbed him just enough for him to willingly die of exposure and probably hypothermia.

Posts: 2 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Helruna
posted Hide Post
I would like to think of it as this.

Shadow is infact a minor diety of sorts or at least quasi supernatural. This is the only plot line that is not explained. Why he experiences things after he's met loki in prison and not before. There was nothing to suggest that he's always had bad dreams etc. It would make sence if so and add weight to his plight.

In some ways it could be a pun that he is a SON of america as well as the Sun of Odin. Sweeny did the right thing, but I feel this is something that Odin didn't want.

The coin that Laura gets is kinda a bit strange as it ought to have had some effect on her seeing as the Moon Goddess stated it was very powerful. In some ways the sun in egyptian myth travels through the underworld and is associated with death and rebirth as the eye of Re.

Anyway... was all good!

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Majestic12th
posted Hide Post
quote:
The coin that Laura gets is kinda a bit strange as it ought to have had some effect on her seeing as the Moon Goddess stated it was very powerful. In some ways the sun in egyptian myth travels through the underworld and is associated with death and rebirth as the eye of Re.

I understood the effect to be that of Laura in undead mode. Wasn't that the explanation for her coming back?

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."-Walt Whitman

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The coin is what gives him immortality ...thats why it brings back the dead. Without it he is slowly dying because its not in his hoard. Shadow is actually the descendant of odin' s son but he doesnt know it. (Thats why sweeney tells laura in episode 8 of the show hes none who happens to be the guy.. )in a way he is part God.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post