New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odin "Gallows God"
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone!
In American Gods Odin has a strong association with gallows which I haven't seen in my readings of Norse sagas, the prose edda or (so far) in the poetic edda. I've had a good look but can't find a source that describes Odin or Woden or Wotan as this "gallows god". Does anyone have this source or do we assume that this is an association that Neil made un-sourced?

I don't have my copy to hand but I recall a quotation along the lines of "the gallows are my steed". Is this in reference to Sleipnir or just another (rather good) set of imagery?

Thanks at ton,
Joe

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe,

I don't recall offhand any direct associated of Odin/Wodan/etc. with the gallows, but more on the death/war angle without the specificity of gallows. From the book, he does say his horse is the gallows, in reference to Sleipnir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi OV,

Thanks for your response. A cursory search on wikipedia does indeed state that he is associated with the gallows, but not really justice. Can we conclude that the gallows that he represents are not perhaps those used for capital punishment but more a symbol of sacrifice and a more personal death?
I'm asking, I think, whether the gallows he is associated with are in reference only to his hanging on Yggdrasil, or to more general gallows?

Thanks,
Joe

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
I think we can indeed conclude the gallows is more a representation of his sacrifice than justice/punishment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post