Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

movie or tv?
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished reading AG for the third time and, ofcurse was thinking about how the adaptaion would look like, than it hit me that this book cannot be a movie, it has to be a tv series, obviously it will some problems like smaller budget and less famous cast, but than you can leave the text word to word and not cut any scene like it sould be.
what do you think?

Question:
AG should be a movie or a tv series?

Choices:
movie
series
shouldnt be adapted at all

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I don't think a movie would do it justice. Not so sure a tv series would either. I'm more inclined to go with 'not be adapted.'

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
I'd like to vote for 'Don't Care'.

If it's ever adapted into a different medium, it's not going to wreck the book. And I don't feel it essential or imperative to be a film or series. It's not something I care about one way or the other. If it is, great, might see it. If not, then no loss.

quote:
but than you can leave the text word to word and not cut any scene like it sould be.

Sorry, but when adapting, things have to change. Dialogue that flows on the page can be awkward or ludicrous when spoken aloud. Sections may have to move to make sense in a cinematic narrative. What might be a nice little side plot in a book can be an irritating irrelevance on a screen.

Film and TV are visual mediums. You have to make changes to a written work so that that work can work on screen. It's unavoidable. An adaptation will always be different to the book, the characters will look different, the scenery be the wrong sort, the sounds will be all wrong. Because you're moving something from a world created inside the readers head to a world created in front of them. From the individual in their conspiracy with the author, to mass illusion. From private to public. So, if it were possible, an adaptation that perfectly created your vision of the book would be flawed and imperfect for another, even if not a word was changed.

And it's unfair to the work to expect it to be adapted word for word. That restricts it, that doesn't allow it to breathe in the new medium. What I'd hope for any adaptation is that it takes advantage of its new medium to tell the story in the way best suited to the medium. And you have to watch it as its own film, its own TV, its own theatre. It exists independent to the book and should be treated as such.

Many years back there was a BBC adaptation of Jayne Ayre. And one person wrote and complained that this:

quote:
Reader, I married him. A quiet wedding we had: he and I, the
parson and clerk, were alone present.

was replaced by a depiction of the wedding.

She wrote and complained that they showed a wedding. That the adaptors had decided to be unfaithful to the book.

By showing a wedding.

It might take up only one (classic) line in the book, but showing it made sense in a visual medium.

And some snotty bitch complained.

Whatever is adapted, however it's adapted, someone will be distraught over the changes that are made.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, i never meant "Word to Word" literaly...
I was thinking more in the direction of not neglecting anything important, like you would have to in a movie, unless you wanna make it a 6 hours movie...

someone will always complain when you adapt a book.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose I'd prefer the TV series, you get more attached with the whole production. It's also a real pleasure to watch TV shows on my brand new TV screen, of course I'd go for the TV series.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrick chen,

Posts: 20 | Registered: November 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post