Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast the Movie!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Of course, he would have to be aged, but I'm seeing Don Cheadle as Mr. Nancy. He definitely is the right wiry build.
I'm also going with Wallace Shawn as Chernoborg. I'm basing that on his role in Uncle Vanya.

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree to some extent about Anthony Hopkins as Wednesday, but I also think that Gene Hackman might be able to make a decent attempt. Think of a much darker Royal Tenenbaum.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uriel_DeBast
posted Hide Post
All right My opinion is this <i>(other than Laura, This is what I had pictured the characters since I first read the book)</i>:

Vin Disel as Shadow
John Glover(The guy who plays Lionel Luthor in smallville) as Wednesday
Aishwarya Rai as Laura
Jean Reno as Czernobog

Blah, Blah, Blah!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Myspace.com | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uriel_DeBast
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, And I think Neil Gaiman is perfectly able of directing his own stuff. (well, as long as it is not like that neverwhere crap. A good book fuck up by a crappy indy-like flick.)

Blah, Blah, Blah!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Myspace.com | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shadow:i dont know.
wednesday:dennis hopper
laura:uma thurman
loki:tim roth
chad:that nice policeman from magnolia
hinzelman:jack nickolson(gods my spelling is awful)
mr town:bill murry
mr world:errr...tim roth
mr stone:vincent gallo
mr wood:woody harrelson
mr nancy:samuel jackson
czernoborg:tom waits
the three sisters:kate blachett,and lots of latex

piss, this is really hard.

i played connect the dots with your beauty marks and came up with picture perfect sheet music.

Posts: 9 | Location: behind the scenes(of course!) | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spam
posted Hide Post
Shadow: Bruce Campbell

Wednesday: Brian Cox

Loki: Paul Bettany

Sam: Zooey Deschanel

Directed by David Fincher

Posts: 40 | Registered: May 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spam
posted Hide Post
and Donald Sutherland as Wednesday

Posts: 40 | Registered: May 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read American Gods in a while, but I remember making a movie poster for a book report in my English class in high school. There are two actors I'm quite sure I'd cast, namely Morgan Freeman as Nancy, hands down, especially for his work in Shawshank Redemption, and Gary Oldman as Low Key (Loki), mostly cause I always imagined Gary Oldman. As Laura, I'd cast Sean Young from Blade Runner, elegant, pale, very cold. As Shadow, I was kind of considering Ben Browder, but now am not too sure. As Czernobog, Peter Stormare from Fargo and Armageddon. And finally as Wednesday, Charles Dance, the bad guy from Last Action Hero. Bare in mind, this a year or so ago, so my choices may change next time I read it.

Peace

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're going to hate me, but I actually could see Jack Nicholson as Wednesday, perhaps because of the grin.

Bye,
Nadine

" 'A lovers' spat',(...)'Boy meets girl, girl wants boy dead. An everyday story really.'" - D. Gemmell

Posts: 175 | Location: Still here | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Naomi Watts as Laura, definately in my world. Perhaps Martha Stewart as Loki.

Posts: 383 | Location: brooklyn | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raindog
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm new.

I have been wanting to direct my own adaptation of American Gods for a while. I think Gary Busey would make a groovy Wednesday if he would grow a beard. He's got that 'humourless grin' that Gaiman describes down pat. He's tall, "irascible", a little cracked in the head, and would look really compelling with two different-colored eyes. Plus, his voice is so used-up, breathy and purposeful.

For the rest of the characters? I don't know. You'd need to find a really good actor to play as Shadow. He's such an introspective character that you'd need someone who can effectively convey what's going on inside Shadow's head.

I would be really sparing with the "Hollywood" stars in an adaptation of this film. The book is so hardcore that you'd need to use new actors to give the film that alien, inhospitable feel that the book has.

I would most definitely cast Tera Patrick as Bilquis, though. Hahah.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always dreamed of some day directing American Gods myself. LOL. That is, after I get more experience in the whole film industry.

But for now...I'd love to see it directed by either of these three people:

Christopher Nolan: After watching The Prestige, he would be PERFECT. Would play really well with the "twist" ending.
Terry Gilliam: 12 Monkey's, Brothers Grimm...he knows how to handle the sort of wierd genre and has a nice moody look.
Alex Proyas: The Crow is the most PERFECT comic book adaptation in my eyes. The mood, look, the actors...perfect. The question isn't why? It's Why Not?

My cast:
Shadow: I like the Vin Diesel thing. He needs something to challenge his acting again. I loved him in Pitch Black and Saving Private Ryan but after that...it's all the same. This movie could put him back on the map.
BUT...I'd like to see a little more "down to earth" type guy play Shadow and I can't get out of my head that the guy who plays MICHAEL in Desperate Housewives would be a GREAT Shadow. He seems to play the character well and it seems that the mood for Shadow as well as Michael is about the same. Beef him up a little and there you go.
But if Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman want to bulk up a bit and play Shadow, I have no problem with it.

Mr. Wednesday: I have one big choice. Jack Nicholson. NOW...before I get the snickers and odd looks, let me explain. Wednesday is very charming, has that creepy smile, and is that old bastard you love to hate who can get any young girl he wants. Sound familiar? Wednesday is JACK, baby! Yeah yeah yeah...Ian McCellan this, Anthony Hopkins that...let's face it. These gods are in America and have adopted American style. They haven't been to their native countries because they are already there. Jack is the American Odin no matter how you look at it.

Loki: I pictured someone a little younger and a little more lean and punkish but can still look dangerous at the same time. Ben Foster fits the bill.

Mr. Nancy: Morgan Freeman. Nuff Said.

Hinzelmann: I like the pick of Terry O'Quinn. Perfect casting.

Czernobog: I like Brian Cox. I think he could play our butcher. But...ehh...I'm more of a fan of Hugo Weaving. I can see either or.

Mad Sweeney: Steve Buscemi is a good choice. For some reason, I kept getting images of a skinnier, dirtier (if you can imagine), more white trash version of Colin Farrell playing him. But Steve Buscemi is good too.

That's all I gots for now.

Another night without sleep is a hell of a lot better than another night of nightmares...

Posts: 5 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Glamour_Junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thirith & His Enormous Tibia:
It'd be ironic, though, to have a Brit as the leading man in American Gods. Razz

Oh, and by the way - welcome to the World's End, Glamour_Junkie! Smile

Hey, thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually said that a few posts back...

Great minds think alike.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree whole heartedly on Ian McKellen as Wednesday. If not, then (just hear me out)I might concider Nick Nolte. Remember, It's American Gods. I think Vin Diesel would be good in appearence, but doesn't have the acting chops. I am a big believer in casting unknowns or relatively unknown actors in major roles ( much like they did for Tristan Thorn in Stardust). Shadow needs to be played by someone who can be powerful in his silence. Shadow is not a very talkative guy, nor is he very emotionally open. If I were pressed to pick a name actor, I'd say Christian Bale or Eric Bana. Both are excellent actors and (if you've seen any of their movies)can command your attention in a scene without speaking.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but Linda Hamilton as Laura? She's too old for the part. I picture a younger actress as Laura. Like Laura Allen (Lilly from The 4400) or even the latest incarnation of Sarah Connor, Lena Heady.

Though Tony Todd as Mr. Ibis...spot on.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm in the minority with the Please Don't Cast Vin Diesel As Shadow.

I still can't envision this as a movie the story is too massive and I fear it'll get hacked.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey,
its my first post so hi to all on forum.

Ive seen a lot of names and actually cool choices here, but in my opinion this film could use its own stuff - I mean I would never use Brad Pitt or Natalie Portman, because then it wouldnt be American Gods - book and film of Neil Gaiman anymore, it would become just the next Brad Pitt film, oh yeah, all the cheering fans around.
I think this story deserves better than that. Unknown actors could deliver a good film too. and I agree on the delay with NG. without the right director i would be nothing - just look at what Twilight has become. or the Golden Compass. totally out of its original style.
best,
Mozenrath

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like. . .

Low Key: John Leguizamo
Bilquis: Jennifer Tilly
Laura: Julie Benz
Mr Ibis: Pete Postlethwaite
Mr. Town: Patrick Warburton
Mr. Jaquel: Djimon Hounsou
Bast: Thandie Newton

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ones Im DEFINITELY sure of are:

Barry Pepper as Loki Lyesmith

Christopher Walken as Czernobog

Monica Bellucci as Zoyra P

Bonnie Hunt as Easter

Paris Hilton as Media

Jack Coleman as Mr Town

I want Pierfrancesco Favino in there somewhere too WinkWink but dont know who he could play.

The others...well youve seen my suggestions on page 21...but im still uncertain on a few. especially the leads (shadow, wednesday, Jaquel and Ibis especially)

I know it's crooked...But its the only game in town

Posts: 24 | Location: england, uk | Registered: July 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post