Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    The "I Believe" speech...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "I Believe" speech...
 Login/Join

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
I like the speech, but I too thoguht it was a bit odd at that time and moment.
It might be that, as some of oyu said, it is beleivable in someone like SAm to have that kind of thing memorized. I like that idea.

However, there's a moment too similar to that one: the Wednesday speech "I know...". They are so alike. At the moment of reading both, I just thought%2

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
(part of message has been gulped)

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
aaargh!! damndamndamn computer!

I wont write it all for the third time. In short: Those two speeches were comic-like to me, they would have seemed ok in a comic form but they were out of place in a novel where the narrative is flowing.
American gods was, to me, a Sandman-like story written in prose for non-comic, Neil's-works-ignoring epople. Great book, still.
Anyway, those speeches were, for me, an example of that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's Saint NightWalker... no quotes. It's a title and a name... not a nomenclature, "Stargrave". Only reason it runs together, is that they didn't allow spaces in the screen name field.

I dunno. It seems to have worked for me :P

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is not going back to something cold and stale like five hour old hot chocolate, I would like to admit that I always thought of Neil and NeilGaiman (yes, one word and said quickly) until I saw a picture of him with his cat, and then I quietly switched over to Neil. ^^ Ah well. I'm sure that was a bit of nothingness brought on by sinus medication. I hope that all of you have fond memories and pleasant posts. smile

~Luin Pax~

Posts: 13 | Location: USA | Registered: July 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked her speech. Made me smile. I want the t-shirt.

On the Neil vs. Gaiman topic, I use Gaiman, simply b/c that is what I'm used to. When writing, authors go by last names. There's more than one Neil out there and if I start calling Gaiman Neil here, I will elsewhere and no one will understand. Not being impersonal or cold or cruel or uncaring, just following routine. lol.

"You can't study orchids with a bulldozer" ~from the wonderful music world that is Magnetic Fields

Posts: 8 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: July 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think it's legal to post quotes and such from books, so long as they're properly cited and such--which of course, includes stating that the above quote is by Neil Gaiman.

And, it's also legal to make t-shirts, or type it out, or whatever you want--again, so long as it's cited that the quote's by Neil Gaiman.

The point at which something like this would be illegal would be if, say you made a bunch of t-shirts with the quote on it and tried to sell them for a profit and such.

Then again I could be wrong (I ain't no lawyer, but I had to bullshit my way through school citing a bunch of crap)....

Posts: 30 | Location: Ohio, United States | Registered: July 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my senior project I am writing about the postmodernism relating to certain novels...one being American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

The "I believe Speech" reflects upon post modern concerns, as does the entire book. But this specific excerpt from the novel lists quite a few. In todays day in age the post modern concerns are related to loneliness, acceptance, money, love, beliefs, etc. Can you explain to me what this excerpt has to do with any of these please? I'm lost in this novel with all of its depth and relation to "Gods"

Any help, comments would be much appreciated. ASAP....Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this speech, it seems to me, it goes from your heart! this self-respect essay will help you to love yourself!

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post