Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    Laura, her job and thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laura, her job and thoughts
 Login/Join

posted
Why did Laura try to get a job?

For me, the whole interplay between Laura and Shadow was the highlight of the book. While everything going on was an awe-inspiring contrast of gods and rules and revelations, Laura was almost cursed to live on for a while and answer to Shadow for what she had done. Both, it felt like, had so much to say and explain and answer for, yet the cruel events took away their ability to work it out and instead they encountered each other as both were in another phase of life.

To me one of the most touching parts was when she tried to get a job. I am not sure why. It was like the brief respite of a walking dead traveling south during winter, trying to hold onto the rule of life she knew and get a job for herself.

Yet does anyone know why she did? Did anyone give thought to it? I know it was a very, very minor plot point but it almost spoke to me the most.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miguel The Magnificent
posted Hide Post
Hi.
I hadn't tought of it.
That's a Inspired Thought and deserves an answer!
To me she was doing it to try to return to a normal life.
But she is a emontionless philosophical Zombie.
The only think that remains of a true human mind
beyond memory
is the simple Thought of HELP BALDER
And so she does it. And By it I mean anything:
Kill a man
Kill a God
Steal
Have sex( if shadow had such intention i.e. was a necrophiliac)
follow him to the least magical place in America
Follow him to the plane of existance of the gods

And She does this all without passion.
She, as long as she is dead, is INCAPABAL of emotion
Hope that this was a fresh perspective

Posts: 12 | Registered: January 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miguel The Magnificent:
Hi.
I hadn't tought of it.
That's a Inspired Thought and deserves an answer!
To me she was doing it to try to return to a normal life.
But she is a emontionless philosophical Zombie.
The only think that remains of a true human mind
beyond memory
is the simple Thought of HELP BALDER
And so she does it. And By it I mean anything:
Kill a man
Kill a God
Steal
Have sex( if shadow had such intention i.e. was a necrophiliac)
follow him to the least magical place in America
Follow him to the plane of existance of the gods

And She does this all without passion.
She, as long as she is dead, is INCAPABAL of emotion
Hope that this was a fresh perspective

Nice post ! This is because of the rise of consumer culture at the turn of the century as pointing towards capitalism as a religion in our society.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 1 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we don't always find answers in our science and nor in our religion. I guess then the human factor plays well in the end. One the other note this is a very good post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RobinBlaked,

Posts: 1 | Location: 813 Goldstream Avenue, Victoria, BC V9B 2X8 | Registered: July 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrick chen,

Posts: 20 | Registered: November 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by patrick chen:
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. -

Posts: 20 | Registered: November 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post