Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    One loose end I think he should have tied up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One loose end I think he should have tied up
 Login/Join

posted
I was pleased to see in the epilogue how we found out that Shadow won the bet with the car on the ice, how we solved the mystery of the missing children, and how he cleared up his date with destiny with getting his brains bashed out with the hammer - but there's one loose end I was really waiting for and was really disappointed that didn't get resolved. I think he should have gone back to Cairo Illinois at the end and lived happily ever after with Bast. I mean, he lost his wife for good, she liked him, he certainly COULD have liked her (he did literally give her his heart after all, and if that doesn't symbolize it, I don't know what would), and let's face it - the reader want to see him get his happy ending, he's kind of earned it, right? So that's just what I think - tell me if you agree with me on this.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus as anyone who's seen Japanese animation knows, catgirls are hot Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he got his happy ending cause he was happy. I am not so sure that a woman was what was missing in his life.

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
It is a good point that Shadow EARNED a happy ending and that he and Bast had affection for each other- BUT, that would have probably ended his ability to expand into other stories. -(It was such a treat to find him in again in 'Fragile Things' but, he probably wouldn't have been able to form that all-important bond with Lucy if he'd been married to a hot cat girl!) Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides...she seemed to be more in control than him in their "encounter" :P That'd feel awkward if that ending was chosen.

"...if you're rich the only way to get sympathy is to say you have cancer." - Larry David

Posts: 10 | Location: South Africa | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also had a thing for Sam as when he sees her with her girlfriend at the end hes jealous of the way she looks at her and he feels a "pang like a minor chord being played inside him"

Id have thought if he got with anyone it would be sam, but the fact they dont kinda makes it more...not satisfying but i think it was for the best in the long run.

I know it's crooked...But its the only game in town

Posts: 24 | Location: england, uk | Registered: July 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
weather underground I think that so weather underground

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IKone152,

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post