Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fox grinning image
 Login/Join

posted
Plagiarism? - The image used early in AM Gods of a fox grinning like it was eating shit off a barbed wire fence - is this nicked from Robert Nye ( i think it was in Merlin, or perhaps Faust) where he repeatedly descrbes a smile like that of a fox eating shit off a wire brush.
Theft or a really odd coincidence...?

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
I don't specifically remember that passage, but I'd assume it's more of a tip of the hat by Gaiman than anything else. I do remember someone asking him about the passage in American Gods that sounded similar to the first sentence or two of William Gibson's Nueromancer. But instead of static, the dead channel was a transcendent blue.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Scoundrel - I think you're right.+ Gaiman is more interesting than Nye, on the whole.
pippip

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the original. Robert Nye.
I can't remember the book I think it was Merlin.
35 years ago I read it. Was said several times in the book. Dunno how old the book was before I read it. Neil certainly wasn't the originator, but I believe Nye was. Ive never read phrasing and original passages like Nye
"He grinned. He grinned like a fox eating shit off a wire brush"

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post