New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nunyunnini?
 Login/Join

Picture of MrCroup
posted
Anyone know anything about the mammoth skull god and the ancient tribe? (page 412, paperback)
Did this god really exist or did Gaiman invent it to represent old gods that have passed from memory?

"When the going get weird, the weird turn pro."

Posts: 46 | Location: lost | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrCroup
posted Hide Post
???

"When the going get weird, the weird turn pro."

Posts: 46 | Location: lost | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
I am nearly positive Gaiman invented it, but do not have a source to back that up with offhand

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an invention.

Several years back, I ran across the name in a folklore book. Probably out of print, now. I have the article photocopies somewhere, but he was a sort of American Indian Hobgoblin-death spirit. The reason I even remember it is that I ended up using the name for a big bad in a game of mine.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be a nod to what would be a cherokee monster of close to the same name and what would be a close description to how you would describe a mamoth, tough stone hard skin etc.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post