Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    American Gods - The movie?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Gods - The movie?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm just new to this board so I don't know if this has ever been discussed before.

Has there ever been any talk about a movie being made? When I'm reading books, I always have a famous actor playing the charactors, e.g.
Shadow - David Boreanaz
Wednesday - Antony Hopkins

http://www.fallofnations.com/play.asp?uid=14510

Posts: 3 | Location: Finland | Registered: January 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Archus dracomagii
Picture of Chomiji
posted Hide Post
<pointing to Forum section below this one>

There's a "Cast the Movie" thread in the "American Gods: Spoilers" section.

- Cho

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
You are a Confectioner. Who can take a sunrise and sprinkle it with dew? Actually, that's Bob The Enchanter, two doors down on the left. But you make delectable treats, which is no simple feat considering Oompa Loompas won't be invented for three centuries. Not only do you delight with your sweets, but you've paved the way for a new profession: dentistry!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
the blog thing: From an Ayewards World ...

Posts: 2603 | Location: Takoma Park, MD, USA | Registered: June 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I JUST read this book.... an amazing book, an amazing author. A movie about this book would be Awesome! I have never read something so powerfull and something so well wrote. A movie would be great to follow that!

(sorry I didn't have an answer to your question Deman, but I had to add this Wink

--------------
And the words that flow out of your mouth are nothing more than thought. And Thought is nothing more than an opinion. And an opinion .... well, it is as stands.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deman:
Has there ever been any talk about a movie being made?

allo (and yes, check out the Cast The Movie thread)
Neil's view of movies from his books (iirc) is to wait for the right director to come along. So far, Neil has not mentioned AG being optioned, but he hasn't ruled it out yet either.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm only half way... less than half way through it, and I think it'd make a fantastic film... but of an extrordinarily epic length... There's so much that might need cut out to make a film, you might end up being disappointed. Adaptions can be upsetting.

And on David Boreanaz playing Shadow, it would annoy me so much cuz I can never get him to fit any role, except from... Buffy's Angel...

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Asitsays
posted Hide Post
I think it'd be a soild film for a 3/4 quarters of the story, then Hollywood will mess it up.

Posts: 38 | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batmanuel
posted Hide Post
i read this book quite a while ago now but it amazed me and i have read it again twice since and i try to get all my friends to read it. as for the movie i am liking that idea a lot but not mr hopkins as mr wednesday, you would need someone far more imposing...who i have no idea.

I spit on your 47 vegetables.

Posts: 903 | Location: computing in a offshoot of the neverending story | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Hopkins could play Wednesday. Hanibal Lecter is pretty imposing...
Im not sure id want to see a movie adaptation as it would get f#cked up somewhere along the way. I really dont think in its raw form could fit in 1 movie well, and much of the amazing imagery that is reading a book would be lost...
Just my 2c eh.

Closer morsel, I smell your fear and I hunger.

Posts: 5 | Location: Land of the long white cloud | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
david boreanaz??? no way!

say hello to everything you've left behind.

Posts: 8 | Location: Trockia | Registered: April 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about those two, But if it were up to me.
Dwayne Johnson-Shadow
Jack Nicholson-Wednesday

But that's me Smile

-Delta

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't getting into acting skills, Although that is the most important aspect. The character should also look the part, and I though he would do wonders. Now if we could put someone else's acting skills, We'd have Shadow dead on.

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Hallo, rlbit, and welcome to the board! We do have a no hotlinking policy here, so I'm going to edit your image tags. Please don't do that again.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rlbit
posted Hide Post
i always pictured dominic purcell from prison break as shadow. he fits the tough but smart guy persona without being a pretty boy, and hes a good actor. jeremy irons would be perfect for wednesday. hes a great actor and he has that awesome gruff voice and creepy smile. also i think elya baskin would be a perfect czernobog and rachel mcadams would be good as laura.

the quickest way is spmetimes the longest.

Posts: 3 | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto for Dominic Purcell and Shadow. Oddly enough I think Viggo Mortensen could be an amazing Wed. Ok he's a bit younger then how the character is written, however, he is able to play someone who is both menacing and charismatic very well.

Posts: 1 | Location: Germany | Registered: June 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AndiKing
posted Hide Post
I would absolutely LOVE to see this in a movie. Although, I would rather see it not so Hollywood either b/c they either ruin the story (as we all love it the way it is) or they change it to somehow adapt to real-life stuff. Really the best fiction...is left being...fiction. That's why I read it... So, in my personal opinion, if an Independent Studio would pick it up, and Neil would have his OWN artistic license (since it's HIS story) I think it would be wonderful. I would actually pay to see it in the theater... I only say that b/c I was rather disappointed in the movie version of Stardust, just b/c a few famous people are in it, doesn't automatically make it a great film. I was left with a sense of loss...very anti-climactic for me.

Posts: 1 | Location: Murrells Inlet, SC USA | Registered: August 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hand the director/producer roles to Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro and I'll be reserving tickets tomorrow.

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad someone else said Dwayne Johnson. (He's a bad actor? Bull! He just picks bad movies. He's a good actor.)

as for Wednesday, I'd easily pick Ron Perlman of Hellboy and Sons of Anarchy, but I'd tell him to channel James Coburn (from the maverick movie among other things...) For Laura, I'd pick Julie Benz from Dexter (she plays Rita, Dexter's wife. Mr. Nancy: Don Cheadle. Easter: Kathy Kinney (Mimi from the Drew Carey show.)

not that I've given this a ton of thought or anything.

Please make this movie Mr. Gaiman...

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Think Matt Shadows would be a great person for the spot of shadow.

hes a singer not an actor but i imagine him as shadow when i read the story.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does every book have to be made into a movie? WHY? Whatever happened to using your imagination?? I don't want it to be a movie ever!!

Posts: 1 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post