www.NeilgaimanBoard.com
Shadow is not Balder

This topic can be found at:
http://neilgaimanboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/64210996141/m/834604665

December 05, 2013, 11:13 PM
patrick chen
Shadow is not Balder
Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrick chen,
September 25, 2014, 10:13 AM
Kestra
I just wanted to point out, since no one has mentioned it yet, that in his conversation with the Shadow on the World Tree, Horus states that, "I am the sun. And you are the sun." A little later, Horus says, "You are the shadow. I am the light."

If we can trust Horus' intuition, which is slightly suspect because he is a "madman", he recognizes in Shadow a similar affinity with the sun, which fits with Baldur. Also, the vigil for Wednesday doesn't kill Shadow, much like several other events that should have killed him (going under the ice trying to open the trunk of the klunker, fer instance) also do not, "shadowing" Baldur's immunity to harm from everything but mistletoe.

I think Shadow is closer to a demi-divine reflection of Baldur that the actual person of Baldur, himself. But he's definitely not just a human guy who happens to be one of Wednesday's children.
September 03, 2017, 07:40 PM
Stickler
Haven't seen this insight yet. Is there any supernatural being in American Gods more (metaphorically) blind to what is going on than Shadow? Shadow is certainly an analgam of several supernatural beings; perhap's Baldur's (blind) brother Hodr is one component.
September 06, 2017, 03:59 AM
Stickler
A revision. Shadow is an amalgam of several gods, but first and foremost he is all of Odin's sons in one. He is as tall, strong and steadfast as Thor, he is as fair and beloved as was Baldur, and he is as blind to who he truly is - and how special he is - as Hodr was physically blind.