Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  American Gods    Does anyone live at or near any of the locations in the book?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone live at or near any of the locations in the book?
 Login/Join

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Taken in context Dr., it would pretty much have to be Madison, Wisconsin.
Y'know....near where The House on the Rock is. Razz

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is true that Lakeside is many towns, there is one in particular with a bridge, a tradition of an old clunker and a castle type of old building about an our east of the Twin Cities.

It's a college town and there about a dozen bars all within walking distance of campus. One of them, one of my favorites, is The Buck.

While this town is not nearly as splendid as lakeside there is a deffinent feeling of none of the populace having any clue of what goes on in the world around them, another similarity.

Enjoy the clues and happy hunting, also if you ever plan to visit the House on the Rock, please go during the summer when the exhibit is longer and is not poluted with tiny little Wal-mart Santa stuffs that only serve to polute the whole atmosphere.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kieviel:

It's a college town and there about a dozen bars all within walking distance of campus. One of them, one of my favorites, is The Buck.

The Old Buck Inn?

~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, the full name of the bar is The Buck: The Silver Dollar Saloon. It is located down the street from the post office in said town.

Also, in the novel, the castle/library is located on the lake. While in real life the library is located on the lake the castle is actually about 2 blocks off of the lake.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aedh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kieviel:
Actually, the full name of the bar is The Buck: The Silver Dollar Saloon. It is located down the street from the post office in said town.

"Silver Dollar Saloon & Brick Co." Big Grin
I know the town well, but I never put two and two together. It does certainly have that insular feeling, doesn't it?
Thanks for the tip.

***An rud a scríobhann an púca léann sé féin é.***

Posts: 14 | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Minneapolis now. I used to live in Madison, WI. My mom's family is from Muscoda, WI (the place where Shadow buys a car for his trip to Cairo).

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Welcome Magill. Woo Hoo! Another Minnesotan!

~Joe

posted Hide Post
I'm in the Milwaukee area, a little farther away from the House on the Rock or from this "Lakeside" of which you speak. Like everyone else in Wisconsin I've visited the House on the Rock several times. (I can't imagine working there; hearing the most awful version of the worst Beatles song ever, "Octopus' Garden", every two minutes, would probably drive me to suicide...) I've been through that town on the lake a few times, too, but I'm not intimately familiar with it. Seemed like a pretty town. Next time I drive through there I'll have to stop at a coffee place to buy a cup of tea for... you know ... curiosity's sake.

Nice to see other Wisconsinites here. And to think when I read American Gods I thought I was the only one who knew how to pronounce "Muscoda" correctly...

Posts: 2 | Location: Milwaukee WI | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in SD, about halfway between the Badlands and Sioux Falls. Maybe Johnny stopped here with Shadow and Wednesday Big Grin

Posts: 3 | Registered: April 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PageMonkey:
Bumbling through these boards on my second reading of American Gods, I found this thread and figured I'd contribute.

I used to live near Cherryvale, Kansas, where Czernobog went to replenish himself at the site (unnamed in the book)of Bender Mound. It's actually a bit further outside the town than represented in the book; it's a good 12 miles away, in fact. But it's really there, and there used to be one of those historical markers by the side of the road denoting the spot where the Bender clan waylaid travellers on the Oregon Trail.

He might have lived in Cherryvale, but he doesn't know the name of the trail. It was the Osage Trail. The Oregon Trail is in northeastern Kansas crossing from Overland Park through Lawrence to Nebraska.

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cassandra
posted Hide Post
I lived in Minnesota my whole life. Although I never got to visit the house on the rock, many I know have. I recently moved to Arizona, so I guess seeing any of that sort of thing will have to wait for a while. Frown

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up about 15 miles from Middletown, IL. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think that's where Lucy talked to Shadow in the hotel room. Of course, I don't think that there actually is a hotel in Middletown. You'd have to go to Lincoln or Mason City (at the time the novel was written at least, the motel in MC burned down a few years ago). It's a small town, less than 500 people. I figure its name is why it got mentioned (like Normal).

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I organize a campout every year near Rock City (either on Lookout Mountain or across the valley on Sand Mountain).

Posts: 29 | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When do you do that?

I'll have to swing by there one of these times you do that and talk with other fans of American Gods. lol

My wife would kill me. I talk about comics enough as it is and if I took her on a trip to talk about books from one of my favorite comic writers....hoo boy.

Another night without sleep is a hell of a lot better than another night of nightmares...

Posts: 5 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some other readers of Gaiman in the group, but that's not what the group is. We're Therians. I organize Howls. But you would certainly be welcome to swing by if you wish. Drop me an email.

Posts: 29 | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live just across the Mississippi River from Cairo, in Missouri.

Cairo Illinois does not have a glass pyramid, that is Memphis, Tennessee... don't know what that guy was thinking...
BUT

Cairo is very much an example of death and decay. The town was once on track to become the largest city in the "Land Of Franklin" druing the steamboat days. Since then it has all gone downhill. There have been riots over there during which the residents of my town (Charleston, Missouri) have gotten there guns out and turned Charleston into a sort of fortress, fearing that the violence would spill across the river. It's actually sad, but a great place for Ibis.

I was so surprised when Shadow started heading to Cairo, considering it is so small - but it's very signifigant.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil stated that the Tree is somewhere. Does anyone have any idea where?

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nizuzen
posted Hide Post
I lived in North Alabama for some time and would travel to TN often. Gaiman describes Rock City very well. I enjoyed especially his commentary on the myriad Rock City signs painted on barns and billboards in a 150 mile radius of the place. I'd drive up from AL and hit 24E at Pittsburgh and there'd be signs all the way there to Chattanooga for Rock City.

Incidentlly, I also lived in one of the 23 Madisons in the U.S., though mine was a little further south!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nizuzen Crevecoeur

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlisher
posted Hide Post
*excited* Lots of Minnesotans! And they actually read! Gaiman!

I have a grandparent who dwells in Duluth, but we've (my family) been to a few odds and ends places around Wisconsin whilst I grew up. House On The Rock was one of them, but it was at a time when it was closed so I didn't get to go in and see it. I may have to roadtrip over there again sometime. I just about fall off of/out of wherever I'm sitting when I read about something I recognize in a book, as such. They're still usually not in Minnesota. After all- who the hell writes about Minnesota, anyways? It's like Finland. "What's there to do in Minnesota?" "Uh... go to a giant mall. Fish. Walk through trees. Ah... go to the mall again. Fish some more. Walk through more trees..."

I am the one, the only, LORD GOD CHLISH OF THE TICKS! All hail.

"What's green, hangs on the wall, and sings?"
"Billy, the large-mouth singing bass."

Posts: 91 | Location: "The north," she said. | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live about 99 miles from Chattanooga. Not far from Rock City.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post