Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    help with English: a bubble of Mizar's in the Heart of the Star
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with English: a bubble of Mizar's in the Heart of the Star
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. In the Heart of the Star Rao (I think it must be Rao) asks, "How DID you get the endless to your parliament, Mizar?" And she replies, "PERSISTENCE, mostly. I decided several hundred thousand pulses back that we needed to confer, to set bounds. And after that it was simply a matter of following up. Trying to keep it exclusive, yet bring the PERFECT mix of beings together..."

Now it doesn't change anything in the story one way or the other, but it annoys me that I don't quite understand what "following up" means here. "Being consistent"? Or something more specific like "canvassing"?

I will be grateful for an explanation.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Hi tehanu

To follow something up is to continue arranging it, so this would be sending out invites and reminders, booking the hall, finishing off the arranging of agenda, that type of thing.

Hope this helps
Smaug

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it does, thank you.

Now I think I'll just sit around to see if any conversations spring back up...

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post