Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    Does Dream dream?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Dream dream?
 Login/Join

Picture of extrarice2
posted
Does Dream dream? I know he aspires, and maybe hopes, but he is always awake so he does not "dream".

I know Death will seize to exist (die). Despair, Desire, and Delirium function as their names. But I think Morpheus (as well as Destiny) is just a caretaker or the governor of his realm.

AS I SAID BEFORE, I NEVER REPEAT MYSELF. Wink

___
you had me at "Welcome to McDonalds......"

Posts: 16 | Location: 9th Dimension | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely doesn't sleep, so no dreaming in the strictest sense of the word. Does he "dream", as in he "dreams" of a better world? Maybe. He "dreamed" of a better Dream (Daniel) and made it happen.

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of suddendeathbyfangirl
posted Hide Post
Maybe he sort-of day-dreams, does that count? (If it does I'm never out of his realm)

because there's not enough time for me to fangirl over everyone in the world...

Posts: 10 | Location: Glasgow, but I'm in St Andrews (the non-anansi related one) every second weekend | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dream is Dream. Just like Death is Death, and Desire is Desire. They don't do, they are.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of suddendeathbyfangirl
posted Hide Post
but still, doesn't he have an imagination to speak of? I believe that if he has emotions (which he seems to) then he must have some imagination to speak of...

because there's not enough time for me to fangirl over everyone in the world...

Posts: 10 | Location: Glasgow, but I'm in St Andrews (the non-anansi related one) every second weekend | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheMockTurtle
posted Hide Post
I don't think he does. Which is part of the tragic flaw of the character. He can never dream but must eternally live in other peoples dreams. I think we can see similar themse in the other endless. ie, Destiny does not have a destiny. Death cannot die. Does Desire desire? Does Despair despair?

Posts: 7 | Location: Not really at the bottom, but not quite at the top. | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I know he mentioned in Season of Mists that he doesn't sleep, but dream as in to create, I think he can. But I think he confines it to the Dreaming to the point that once the Kindly Ones started destroying it, they were also ripping him to pieces. I was never entirely sure whether he had a choice in this, or it was self-imposed.

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparker
posted Hide Post
Dream does not dream, as he is the essence of dreaming (who would create his dreams?). However, I do belive he has an unconscious part of his mind which is what ultimately affects his conscious actions (very Fruedian, I know) -- so, yes, his demise was, ultimately self-inflicted.

(I actually wrote my masters thesis on the Sandman [using Jungian pychology], and that was sort of my point in my paper ... everything that happens to him he ultimately causes to happen, mostly to punish himself for a lifetime of being an asshole)

-----------
"riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."
--James Joyce

Posts: 1590 | Location: New Britain, Connecticut, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought... in Preludes and Nocturnes, after he collapses on Cain's doorstep, he says: "I awake in darkness," and says he doesn't remember much in between returning to the Dreaming and waking up there. Soo... I don't know. That would suggest he can at the very least lose consciousness. Then again, he had just gotten free of Burgess and he was very weak, so maybe it was a sort of one time thing.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had plenty of experiences myself where I've hovered on the edge of dream and sleep, brief seconds where I was aware my mental process and perception was making no sense at all from an 'awake' point of view. Maybe Dream gets that?

Then again, look at Emperor Joshua Norton:
After whatever Dream 'does to him' or 'gives him', or whatever you want to call it;
he's either awake, and dreaming; or he has a dream in the Martin Luther King sense, as in, hope for a better future, or something along those lines.

At any rate, Dream has obviously changed what it means for him to be awake, and he's done this to other characters as well, throughout the stories.

So, I'm inclined to think he definitely does Dream; even if we possibly wouldn't recognize it as such if we were to experience what it's like to dream Dream's dreams. (Heh.)

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think sometimes the personification of the Endless has us confused, we forget: They really are what they are. Dream IS Dreaming. So yes. He dreams, unceasingly.

the person, the form, the text, the conversation are all for the readers benefit. when we see Dream as a bobcat in a cave in that.. cat story, that was his form, and his dreamworld. it wasn't specially made for the cat, that was in fact The Dreaming, and had always been so.

we observe the Endless, and their stories, from a finite point of view. the Endless live beyond that. they seem to lower themselves, though, uncharacteristically for what they are, in order to be understood be readers. AKA, Neil is taking an infinite subject matter and making it relateable, so we are left with these sorta questions.

there are infinite universes, yet everything we ever see is tied in with Earth. The Sandman would have you believe that Earth is the very center of the Universe, the way the Endless behave. but then again, we are like the cat in the cat dream, seeing Dream as a bobcat in a cave.

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think he needs to. He is in every dream. He is not human.

[spam removed from post - Smaug]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

Posts: 22 | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dreams represent the thoughts from your daily perceptions. I perceive nerves, change, and future pursuits. I try and change how I think and the way think. if I see something I wonder how, how can this be exact. The exact subconscious feeling you perceive is how you are. You can change your ways but you cannot change the way you feel after your long drawn out thoughts.The most fascinating organ in the body is your brain. Its the light that must stay on. No matter how strong, rich, or successful you are; if you do not have normal brain function you are mush.

posted Hide Post
The dream does dream. If you dream the dream you will understand how it works. What you think about before sleep will come back as a dream. To dream opens up your mind for expansion.