Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    A Dream of a Thousand Cats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Dream of a Thousand Cats
 Login/Join

posted
This is my favorite of Dream Country, which I consider to be the weakest of all of the anthological volumes of The Sandman.
A lot of the imagery has really stuck with me. The raven with no skin on its skull was interesting. That brings me to the subject of Dream's ravens. At one point, Delirium says to Matthew (in a disturbing statement) that she has met "9 and ½" of Dream's ravens. By any chance could the bare-skulled raven be the "½"? I also liked seeing Dream as a cat. When Dream tells the preaching cat that the world was once ruled by cats, until humans dreamt that reality away, I wonder if he is just saying this to justify the death of her children. It seems out of place, although it does enforce the theme of dreams holding power over reality. Thoughts?

"It may be those who do most, dream most." - Stephen Leacock

Posts: 67 | Location: Where ever you're not. | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
I do not think he is trying to comfort her, since he does not appear comforting (she's a bit afraid of him, and his nest smells like a dangerous place to her). However, I think he does decide to give her a purpose which helps pull her out of her depression and also gives hope to what appears to be his favorite type of person (cats).
On the other hand, I do not think humans and other species need necessarily be adversarial in the sort of domination/submission roles outlined in the story. For that matter, I don't think it is a very healthy way to relate to any creature; it's a destructive cycle.

Mutant of the Freakness

Posts: 125 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiiriC:
I do not think he is trying to comfort her, since he does not appear comforting (she's a bit afraid of him, and his nest smells like a dangerous place to her). However, I think he does decide to give her a purpose which helps pull her out of her depression and also gives hope to what appears to be his favorite type of person (cats).
On the other hand, I do not think humans and other species need necessarily be adversarial in the sort of domination/submission roles outlined in the story. For that matter, I don't think it is a very healthy way to relate to any creature; it's a destructive cycle.

I agree that he gave her a purpose, whether a lie, the truth, or just a dream.
This definitely portrays a dangerous cycle, albeit one which, as concluded by one of the cats, would probably never come to pass again. Her quote, I believe, is "I'd like to see someone get a thousand cats to do anything together." Most of cats were skeptics, except for the naive and young cat which the story begins and ends with. Despite being in a weaker position, the humans seemed to be more devoted to their cause, and they turned the tables. They made the cats the underdogs... or should I say undercats? (lame joke, don't laugh)

"It may be those who do most, dream most." - Stephen Leacock

Posts: 67 | Location: Where ever you're not. | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Dream of a Thousand Cats" is story about power that dreams have. Different example about that is "Three Septembers and January", there invidual's dream change world of one man - in DTC dream of a group change world for whole specie..

Story has also some kind of allegory to historial realities - ancestors of cats (Lions) really eat early Humans.. Man became stronger than lion/cat mostly because man was more unite, "had same dreams" as you could say in terms of Sandman.. (just my thoughts)

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
I barely even remembered the bare-skull raven. That is a very interesting observation about the half raven that was talked about.

And with regards to the cat and Dream -- if humans had the same sense of smell as cats, chances are they would smell great danger being in his Realm as well. Dream is a primordial power. He is neither good nor evil. He is the embodiment of a sentient principle or essence in the cosmological cycle.

He appears to every sentient in the way that best relates to them. Martian Manhunter saw him much differently than, say, the Japanese warrior did at the end of The Wake. But for all that representation, he is still a power to be reckoned with and we know that he can be far crueler than Death.

Morpheus is offering the cat a dream. How she takes that dream is entirely up to her. Because it is now her dream. The thing is: humans figured out how to take one dream, and spread it amongst themselves, just enough to create a consensual reality. Cats have yet to agree on a consensual dream to create a consensual reality, evidently. Or maybe some of them are just too smart to, all things considered.

Dream doesn't seem to have a favourite species at all. He fulfills his function and what he perceives to be his duty after being sought out with all due respect. Everyone dreams.

Posts: 6034 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mythos:
Dream doesn't seem to have a favourite species at all.
Ehhh...dunno about that. Humans seem to be on his long list of don't likes (mostly).

Mutant of the Freakness

Posts: 125 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiiriC:
quote:
Originally posted by Mythos:
Dream doesn't seem to have a favourite species at all.
Ehhh...dunno about that. Humans seem to be on his long list of don't likes (mostly).

Perhaps, but I think that if he had them, he held his "don't likes" and low regards equally and indiscriminately.

Posts: 6034 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To not like one species over another would be akin to not liking one aspect of himself over another.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
Which would be pretty reasonable. Don't we all have parts of ourselves we do not like?

Mutant of the Freakness

posted Hide Post
True, but for him to consider disliking or even hating an entire species I think is an impossibility.

There are those he may hate, but those are very specific cases. Such as when he was imprisoned, even then the revenge he took was more out of station than hatred.

Dream is rather conscious of the fact that sentience is his empowerment unlike, say, Desire or Despair who simply play with humanity as if they were toys.

I may have tumbled off subject here a little, if so I apologize, it's late. Lol.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
I saw this picture today and it immediately reminded me of the story in question.

Mutant of the Freakness