Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    Death: The High Cost of Living movie thread. (please keep all DTHCOL comments here!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Death: The High Cost of Living movie thread. (please keep all DTHCOL comments here!)
 Login/Join

posted
I read an interview with Neil in a UK magazine called Starlog, where he said that the THCOL project has been stymied by the collapse of New Line. Anyone know any more about this?

edited by aitapata to change thread title

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aitapata,

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no info out there I can find about Newline collapsing.

Posts: 8 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, I couldn't find anything either.

And yet this is what it says in the mag, in black and white:
quote:
Unfortunately, one Sandman-inspired venture that might not see the light of day is a film version of Death: The High Cost of Living. Originally developed at New Line Cinema, with Gaiman set to write and direct and Guillermo del Toro as producer, the project was thrown into limbo by the studio's recent collapse.
Starlog #373, p. 26, March 2009.

Neil is quoted as saying:
quote:
"I don't know what's going to happen ...New Line, which was developing it for years, was a very good fit for Death.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Added Jan 22nd: even more curiously, the US publishers of Starlog itself turn out to have filed for bankruptcy protection according to wikipedia. (not a UK magazine after all, apologies for mistake.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eardstapa,

posted Hide Post
So I posted this to Neil's FAQ line and got a pretty quick response, with a pointer to wikipedia: it turns out New Line is being slimmed down under Warner and will be taking on fewer projects per year. So Starlog's "collapse" was a tad over-dramatic.

quote:
New Line was kept as its own entity until February 28, 2008 when Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes announced that New Line would become a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Robert Shaye and Michael Lynne said that they would step down with a letter to their employees. They promised, however, along with Time Warner and Jeffery Bewkes that the company would continue to operate its financing, producing, marketing and distributing operations of its own films with the New Line logo, but would do so now as a part of Warner Bros. and be a smaller studio, releasing a smaller number of films than in past years.[2] As to the company's future, according to Warner Bros. president Alan Horn, "There's no budget number required. They'll be doing about six per year, though the number may go from four to seven; it's not going to be 10." As to content, "New Line will not just be doing genre [...] There's no mandate to make a particular kind of movie."[3]

Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Stickying this thread as this question comes up at least once every couple of months (for the last umpteen years!) so we may as well make a permanent thread out of it. I'm going to see if I can merge earlier threads into this one.

ETA: Okay, no, I can't do that.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Goat
posted Hide Post
If it does get picked up, a great choice for Death would be Stephanie Leonidas. They worked together in mirrormask, and she had to have aged just the right amount.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to say that my fiancé, who is an actor here in Los Angeles and is an extremely big NG fan would be perfect for this role of Death. It is the role that she has dreamed about since the day that she first was introduced to the Endless. Not only does my fiancé know everything about Death but she looks just like her too. I am writing this message without her knowledge just to get something out into the universe so it may know that she is extremely capable and perfect for this role. She has been wanting this role for nearly 2 decades and prays about it constantly. Thanks for reading this message and for your consideration, which I hope my fiancé doesn't get upset about this, here is a link to her imdb page... Jodi Benker's IMDB

Thanks again,
Justin C.

The future husband of the future Death

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that DTHCOL could have been a stand-alone, but I can't help but wonder and hope that they're going to feature the other Endless.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there'll ever be a Sandman movie. Has Mr. Gaiman mentioned anything about this?

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know people are going to jump all over me for this suggestion, but I came across this and can't unsee it now:

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an absolutely horrible casting choice for Death. Lips are too big for one, it just doesn't feel right.

Lord, why must everything be made a movie? I'm not really excited about this. ._. It's almost like the Lovely Bones being made into a drama thriller.

Posts: 6 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: July 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because when done right, it can reach a whole new audience through the different medium and create something quite wonderful. See American Psycho (which, in the opinion of many, was better than the book) or Fight Club. There is no point in being down on it before any information's been leaked, especially if the creator of the original work is for it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
See American Psycho (which, in the opinion of many, was better than the book)

I've never actually heard anyone who has read the book say that, mind you i don't know many other than myself and a couple of friends who have read it, so you never know

but anyhow, i was wondering how you guys think the movie will be done. I mean, it's been a while since I've read the Death THCOL issues, but I don't really recall the story being something that would appeal to many other than us rabid Gaiman fans...I just never pictured it making a very successful movie. not that a movie has to be successful to be good, but isnt the purpose of making movies so that it'll make money?

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carey Mulligan might be a good choice to play Death. Also Door, if that movie ever gets made. But of course, by the time either project is greenlit, she may be far too old for the role.

Posts: 116 | Registered: February 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Promotes self for Death! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3602819/

I had wanted to film a scene from The Sound of Her Wings for use as a demo and wrote to DC Comics for permission, but unfortunately they said no. Instead, thinking of doing a fan "trailer" for THCOL.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FoscaFain
posted Hide Post
the photo above is awful. The woman looks bitchy and Death is not bitchy at all. Adjectives would have to be quirky, funny, sharp, sensible, warm, cheerful and wise. So someone who is endearing and you feel you want to be near, not cold (like the pic suggested is).
I can't think of anyone sharp but endearing straight off the top of my head - which says a lot for the current state of folk we have in the public eye! hehe.
Maybe Bjork? but she needs to cheer up a little Wink
possibly an Asian actress?

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the working title is Death and Me but doesn't that sound a little morbid? I'm sure something like Didi and Me would pull in more viewers.

Picture of Sioux
posted Hide Post
I think Lucy Gaskell would make a good Death.

I'm based in the UK, in a village not far from the ever-growing Warner Film studios. It seems New Line still exists under Warner's (as I notice 'The Hobbit' carries the New Line/Warner tag still) so it'd be nice to think that all the New Line ideas on the back-burner will be revived.

Anyway, it transpires that Lucy also lives nearby as I met her in my shop the other day and it struck me how great she'd be in the role of Death (and I told her so, although sadly she wasn't familiar with the Endless).
She played Sam, Georges 'other' girlfriend in the first series of Being Human (which is how I originally recognised her - and probably scared her off by suddenly becoming a total geek on all things fantasy), and also the second dungeons and dragons film - haha, got the feeling she may have regretted that one Razz ) but having done a little IMDB checking later, found she was also in Lesbian Vampire Killers and Dr Who amongst others, and is doing a run in Casualty at the moment (*spoiler* soon to come to an end in a couple of months)

I wonder what you guys think? She probably isn't known well enough to take away from the 'Death' character on screen - especially for a US audience.... or UK for that matter lol (I don't actually watch Casualty, hehe) but she has the acting background to do it justice.
And she's really nice.
And smiles a lot.

Still. Knowing nothing about how far production has got with 'Me and Death'(?), let alone casting, Neil may already have someone in mind. Is there any news?

Posts: 1 | Location: UK | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoolsyB
posted Hide Post
I really hope that Neil (et al) can get this project back on track D:THCOL really deserves to be made with the maestro at the helm.

~ <3 ~

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FeloniousMax
posted Hide Post

A cast he'll have worked with fits the bill perfectly.

In dreams, I walk with you...

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post