Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    The Kindly Ones Theory
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Kindly Ones Theory
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
why did leaving the Dreaming for a moment make Morpheus vulnerable to the Furies, where he wasnt before? Arrrrrgh...Every time I re-read the series I find new questions that stay floating around in my head all day.

in case you still wonder....he had made himself vulnerable when he did the right thing by giving Nuala the crystal with the boon. It's actually a key point in the story because while it is clear what everyone else might be hostile towards Morpheus about, the question of guilt is not so apparent, except in Nuala's case who would never purposely jeopardize Dream in any way, much less assure his destruction so that it's not at all clear if anyone ever had more reason to hate Morpheus than Lyta Hall: None. I think if there are answers to Morpheus' demise, they are only found in Destiny's book. And the fact that Daniel doesn't know anything: Dream died as a result of everyone acting on their own, not appreciating his efforts of helping and, like his brother, finding himself no longer needed. The equivalent of "the bangs, the loud explosions..." to his brother Destruction, that is what having to answer the call to Nuala when she was redeeming her boon to him. It would not have been possible for Dream to refuse her calling, not because it was not within his power to do so. There are no excuses when duties call, and just as he had acquired Nuala in the performance of his duties, so he was obliged to be at her disposal because that is how it had been for her between the two of them.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post