Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    Sandman costumes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sandman costumes?
 Login/Join

Picture of PlumSpooky
posted
Hello everyone! I have just joined the forum. ^_^

Thought I would start up a topic to get to know you all!

So, has anyone on here ever dress up as any character from the series?

Posts: 5 | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hart
posted Hide Post
Heyla, Plum

Well, as a matter of fact, just this weekend... there was a costume party attached to a celebration for American Gods at the House on the Rock. I went as Death and there were only two others that I noticed. One lady in a wheelchair had made a wonderful ankh herself, in fact. There were also at LEAST seven Deliriums but no other Endless that I saw (although you could count the guy dressed as Mr. Gaiman as being dressed as Dream, I guess. -g-)

-r

Death-fascinated apprentice-Gaiman-stalker-in-training

Shopping List. Help with ideas?

Posts: 114 | Location: Hammond, LA | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PlumSpooky
posted Hide Post
Neato! Anyone care to post any pics? I have quite a few from my fiance and I dressing up as Death and Dream for halloween. ^_^

Picture of Hart
posted Hide Post
-squeeeeeeeee-

somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, there is a pod of dolphins who, for a few short seconds... thirty at most... were going, "Who the heck was THAT?!"

Why the happy dolphin noises, you might ask? Because I fooooooound the ankh and I booooooought the ankh. I spent WAY too much on it but worth it? Entirely.

Which ankh, you might ask? Why, the pewter ankh Vertigo came out with back in 2000 with the quote on it, the one with the quote. I shall go await it eagerly once I get some sleep, I have an appointment in 9 hours and I was at the Ren Faire all day. -g-

-r

Posts: 114 | Location: Hammond, LA | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PlumSpooky
posted Hide Post
I will go first and post some pics of my bf and I as Death and Dream. Be kind everyone! ^_^

http://i45.photobucket.com/alb...ndanistephenfull.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/alb...oweendanistephen.jpg

Picture of Hart
posted Hide Post
Heyla, Plum

Very nicely done. -smile-

-r

Picture of PlumSpooky
posted Hide Post
Why thank you, Hart. ^_^

Picture of Hart
posted Hide Post
Heyla, all!

Mmmm... now that I have the ankh that Vertigo produced a decade ago, I want to start finding the other aspects of my next Endless-related costume and thus, I turn to other geeks for assistance and inspiration.

My "Sigla of the Endless" costume shall collect all seven but based on a very Death-focused motif, of course. I AM biased. -g-

For Destiny, I have decided to take my Absolute Death and find three relatively flat chains. First taking some black suede and wrapping all but the spine to prevent damage while keeping the nature visible, I will wrap two around the book horizontally and one vertically and then use two small padlocks to keep them all in one place. Sounds workable?

Death will get to use the quotation'd ankh, of course.

I REALLY need help on where I might find someone able to craft a helmet that looks like a skull and backbone, however. Dream's sigil is a pain to represent. -g-

I found a nice, red-toned gladius to use for Destruction but I really like the thought of trying to find one either (truly or faux) rusted or perhaps shattered to use.

For a little while, I thought about a mirrored mask to use for Desire and as a homage to the novel as well but I think a nice simple hand mirror with a heart-shaped head would be good, balance the gladius on the other hip. Could anyone recommend a place that could do a custom design as I kind of like the idea of adding the bars of Mars and Venus to the mirror as a nod towards Desire's androgyny.

Despair's ring does not evoke much of an image in my mind, unfortunately, although I did find an amazingly appropriate image in a brief search. Still, pewter or tarnished silver feels right, it is just a matter of finding one massive enough to provide a distinct image, to make it.... noticeable, for lack of a better term. Oh, obtrusive is better.

Delirium, I know what I want to use but I was surprised at not being able to find something right off the bat. A simple silk sash, tie-dyed or rainbow. Tie-dyed has the advantage of being more swirly in concept and the possibility of having a single color predominant, to suit my own obsessions. -g-

What do all of you think about the ideas thus far?

-r