Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    Saw this about an idea of a Sandman cartoon and other things.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw this about an idea of a Sandman cartoon and other things.....
 Login/Join

Picture of Game Wizard
posted
I just read this article on IGN.com about possible ideas for their DC Nation Block. Recently they had two shows on there.

Young Justice, a show about the sidekicks of the DC Superhero groups (Justice League and so forth) and other teenage superheroes as a covert group that handles missions that the bigger super heroes can't handle as it would draw too much attention.

The other is Green Lantern: The Animated series.

Both of these shows have been pulled from their lineup for various reasons (I could go into it but that is a separate issue for a different section of this forum).

However, two ideas (one specifically) came up for this line up or at least on the network itself as it does have a more adult oriented section of the network, was Sandman as a possible idea.

The other was Book of Magic.

But my main focus is of course on Sandman as a possible idea. Not just him though, but the entire Endless family.

Here is the article in case you care to see their view and thoughts on it. Sandman comes in on page 2, Book of Magic bottom of page 1: http://www.ign.com/articles/20...uld-expand-dc-nation

So if Cartoon Network hypothetically did this as a cartoon show (which I think would be a better fit than live-action film as it frees up many restrictions adapting this story to film would bring) should it be more adult themed as the comics themselves were or would any be okay with a more for-all-ages approach to it so that they can get a wider audience to see.

In other words, if this ever did become a reality would you rather have the Adult Swim (PG-13/MA-TV )version or the Saturday Morning version of it (PG-PG13) cause they do have some shows in the morning that are dark and gritty but still get away with many things (Batman the Animated series is my best example).

I personally would like the adult version of it, but maybe as a series of short stories that deal with some of the different Endless. Or a straight adaptation of the comics with a few new stories slipped in from time to time to extend the life. Maybe get Neil himself to write an episode or two from time to time. At the very least they can't do this show without him in some capacity just so he has his stamp on it. If he isn't apart of his baby in some way I'd walk.

Again that is of course if this get beyond a mere wishlist. So thoughts anyone?

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
when i think of a sandman cartoon the issue with the endless as little kids comes to my mind. that makes me sort of violent with rage. i say neither

also, no to a live action show or movie. it's not a story that would ever receive the proper adaptation that it deserves and i think the people who make these things should keep their hands off of it

not every book or comic needs a movie adaptation...thats my opinion at least

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about a movie/film adaptation in live action. I agree with you, it could never work that way. Too much would be lost in translation and it ends up like the Dragonball Evolution movie they made a few years back. Terrible acting and the story was a pale imitation.

I think a cartoon/animated format would be far better, and especially a tv format so they can slowly over time develop the story and the characters. Granted Cartoon Network probably isn't the best choice, especially for a Saturday morning crowd.

At the least put it on Adult Swim's time slot, at least you can have a good chunk of the adult material in it. Maybe a heavy PG-13 borderline R rating.

If not that network, HBO would the next best place as they were the ones to adapt Spawn into an animated format and that was heavy with adult material. Blood and violence was pressed to the max in that show.

Anyway, I was looking more for the opinions of a Sandman cartoon. I'm in no way suggesting thoughts about live-action.

That way madness lies.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
the first line of my response had to do with the idea of a sandman cartoon

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by that scott guy:
the first line of my response had to do with the idea of a sandman cartoon

*reread previous comment* Ah, indeed you did sir. My apologies.

--------~~~~~~~*******