Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Sandman    The Opposite Aspects of the Endless
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Opposite Aspects of the Endless
 Login/Join

posted
It is known that the Endless have dual aspects, for example, Death not only represents death but life as well, Destiny also represents freewill, Destruction is shown to represent creativity, and Dream represents reality. I believe that Despair also represents hope, as without despair, there could be no hope, and vice versa. But I can't really think of a clear opposite for Desire or Delirium. Does anyone know? and if anything I have said is wrong, please let me know and correct me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Delirium (uncontrolled happiness) was sort of her own opposite when she was Delight (controlled happiness) and Desire? Well...

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I thought the opposite of desire was self control? Or is that simply of you act on desire or not?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Or would the opposite of desire be the Zen position of not wanting anything?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
Or would the opposite of desire be the Zen position of not wanting anything?

Nope. Can't think of a 'D' word that fits.

So I'm right. I'm always right. Razz

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disgust maybe? Disinterest? I thought Apathy and tried to think of words related starting with a 'D.' Which would explain her cold attitude.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post