Find
Notify
Tools

Gaiman Tattoos
 Login/Join

She gathers rain
Picture of Someone's Cocaine
posted
So my fiance and I are going to probably be getting tattoos this summer and whatnot but I've only got a few ideas floating around.

So, if you could get anything from the artwork of the Sandman Comics, what would you get?
Show pictures! Or just describe.

----------------
hummingbird, just let me die

Posts: 460 | Location: back home in New York | Registered: August 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
someone did post a sandman tattoo gallery here once. i'm surprised i haven't seen more stardust tattoos. i think the charms in little endless story book as an anklet would be super cute...but i think it's unlikely that i'll ever get a tattoo. i'm too wishy washy Razz

and this is from the blog (june 03):
quote:
Hello! My question is about tattoos. How often do you meet fans with body ink related to Sandman or any of your other work, and how do you feel about tattoos in general?

I ask because I'm am planning on incorporating Morpheus and Death into a design for my back, and I figured that I might ask your permission first.

Much love,

Andrew H.

Pretty frequently. There were some nice Sandman tattoos at Book Expo, not to mention someone who'd had my signature tattooed onto her shoulder (and it had come out looking really nice, in an abstract sort of black-marks-on-pink-skin sort of way).

I think I went momentarily into shock in about 1992, during a signing at Golden Apple in LA when someone got me to sign his arm at the start of the signing, and turned up at the end of the signing having had the signature tattooed on, with the liquid skin sprayed over it, still beading blood. I hadn't expected it, and the idea of seeing my signature as a tattoo took me rather by surprise (although I was used to Sandman tattoos by that point).

But that sort of used up my shock quotient.

I'd say at about half the signings I do, and probably 80% of the readings or events, someone will come up and show me a tattoo, often cheerfully revealing areas of skin normally reserved for loved ones, or at least the beach. (Sometimes, as well, people will look around, and then tell me that they don't really think they can show me where they have their Key to Hell tattooed with quite so many people in the line behind them.)

I've seen some amazingly beautiful tattoos, and some very very proud people. Mostly I just wish that the original artists could see them, or that someone would put together a website on which pictures of them could all be collected.

So yes, of course you have my permission, not that you need it, and I hope it turns out to be everything you wanted.

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Violent Shrinking
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful idea. I've been over the past six months developing tattoo ideas. I know the placements (which I think is important to decide on first) and I know roughly what I want.

If I got a Gaiman related tattoo it would be Death on my upper arm, but I'm probably going to put a vampire that I drew in that spot.

Good luck with your tattoos!

~* Absinthe makes the heart grow fronder ~*

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joel
posted Hide Post
Heythere. I'm a huge proponent of Sandman tattoosWink! I'm going to connect this old Indian man on my chest with a big Grizzly to the arm when I get the arm finished (Brief Lives and all). I want a big key to Hell in there somewhere. There's always room for a key to hellSmile I'm a huge fan of Mr. Gaiman's work, really ALL of it, but I probably won't probably tie up any other appendages in his lore(except the bottom half of my left arm (after I make that first millionSmile. The left arm's going to be fishes (Personifer Angel, Volitans Lion, Carpenter's Wrasse).

Also, thanks for that link. I looked for it, but couldn't find it once when I was going to update it and thought it got deleted er something.

Watson Atkinson of BLNDSGHT did the original Sandman in '94 and his twin brother's friend Trevor @ Metamorphosis (Indianapolis/Broad Ripple)is and has done all the rest.

I can't really show any of these @ work and I only know 2 people that read Sandman (in person), so it's nice to show them to someone that understands what they're about.

Here's the latest. and

I have delirium and background mostly done and will post when I take pics..

Joel

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Melmouth
posted Hide Post
Jocke Berg, the singer in one of Swedens most popular pop- bands Kent [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiO51UV45fE&feature=related] presenting a lovley example of a Key to hell tatoo:

http://gfx.aftonbladet.se/multimedia/archive/00049/_ret..._jocke_be_49102w.jpg

Posts: 4 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
posted Hide Post
Damn! I thought this was a thread about Neil's tattoos. Does he have any?

--------
I don't.

Posts: 279 | Location: WGB | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and if he has any, i wonder where they are located. but perhaps that is being too curious. Wink

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Posts: 675 | Location: a little star | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. No tattoos on Mr. Neil.

Posts: 12 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
i've four tattoos from the sandman and if i had any idea as to how to post them on here, i would
you can see one of them in my avatar though

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
If you take pictures of them, then post them on a free photo hosting site (like photobucket or flickr) and link to it from there. And if you have any trouble, just ask. There used to be a tattoo thread down in The World's End section (which is where we all hang out and talk about anything, everything and sometimes nothing)

I like looking at interesting ones, but I've never been inclined to get one.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cheers Maeve
i posted them on Neil`s facebook page the other day, i shall see if i can put the links to those pages that the images are on, on here

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pho...704&oid=300224781015

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pho...id=10150262614680705

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pho...id=10150262614320705

yeah, ummm...don`t know if that`ll work or not, but either way, i guess you can always just cut and paste the links or just look in the album on the gaiman facebook page

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
lesson number two.

first point to note, hotlinking is not allowed (check the fqa's) so make sure you have permission to link to the page you want to - i think facebook is fine, but places such as photobucket or flickr for preference.

then, get the source code of your picture - the URL of where it is - places like photobucket supply them to you, or you could rightclick on the picture and choose the option 'view image info' which should give you it.

then, in the reply box there is an icon like a little picture - 3rd from the left - post your URL in there, and you get the below :

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks yet again Smaug, you seem to be keeping me on my toes!

as for the hotlinking thing, i have no clue what that is, but i do apologise for any faux pas i may have commited

and once again thanks to Smaug for posting the first tattoo (above) for me, i'm going to (try to) post the other two, this is actually my second attempt because the first time i attempted it it gave me some odd error message...so...here goes nothing

i deleted them just in case, so i'm going to re-add them in a minute from photobucket

This message has been edited. Last edited by: that scott guy,

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
hotlinking is doing what we've just done, but to images on websites that don't specifically allow it.

there's a note about it in the faq's.

you certainly haven't done it yet (as far as i'm aware), it was a heads up before you did.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hmmm...is there a way to just upload pictures directly from your computer?

posted Hide Post
alright so here they are again

posted Hide Post
OH BLOODY HELL!