Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  Thoughts About Neil    If you were one of Neil's characters...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were one of Neil's characters...
 Login/Join

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I imagine you mean apart from manga?

Way, way before Harry Potter, there was Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea, which is just wonderful, a real classic, and is also about a poor boy whith untapped potential who gets invited to attend a wizarding school. (This isn't a pop at Harry Potter, which I like very much, but it just can't hold a candle to Earthsea.) The main character, and most of the people in the story, are described in such a way that they could only be Asian or, possibly, First Nation - although of course these descriptions don't make much geographical sense in a parallel universe!

(Just to depress us all, though, there was a Hollywood miniseries made of Earthsea a while back, which both LeGuin and longtime fans hated, because it made all the main characters white, except for a Black sidekick, and the main female character, who in the book was the only significant white character, they cast as mixed race! *headdesk* Plus they changed almost every significant plot and philosophical element in the book, so please don't dismiss the source works if you have happened upon this travesty of them.)

But of course you are right about the general field of non-manga fantasy. Things are changing, thank goodness, but it's very slow.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Lovely to see an Earthsea lover - I read the books when i was a youngster and immediately fell in love with Ged. I'm so pleased not to have seen an adaptation of it as my Ged would disappear...

Can't say that i can relate to anyone yet, but there's still time.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leigh_Crowley
posted Hide Post
lol I think my answer is pretty obvious, but if I must.

Crowley from Good Omens. Love the character... and the car. Smile

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Halli
posted Hide Post
Well, there's Miss Finch. She got to run off and play with a bunch of sabretooth tigers (wearing sequins, at that). It's hard to say though, because it seems like MOST of Neil's characters seem to meet with some terrible misfortune at some point or another. I dunno, it'd be fun to be the busty babe in "Forbidden Brides". I like Thessaly-don't know why, she's kind of horrible (maybe that's why I like her).

Posts: 7 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RadagastTheBrown
posted Hide Post
I'd be Hob Gadling of course. I mean living with the sins of your past is pretty bad, but living forever at the same age can't be bad. I agree with Hob that dying is for saps. He has no real enemies. He doesn't live under a curse or anything. He has no real powers that obligate him to go out and be a super hero. I think he's the perfect choice.

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sasha-Rose
posted Hide Post
I'd be Door... I identified with her a lot while reading Neverwhere.

Posts: 3 | Location: somewhere | Registered: October 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kits'nagi
posted Hide Post
I want to be Wanda, but I am probably more like a much younger version of Mrs. Higgler...he he he.

"To name something is to wait for it in the place you think it will pass." - Amiri Baraka

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of champagneeyes
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm...I am *slightly* deathesque in appearance or was when I was younger (somewhat like Death, somewhat looking like Thessaly), though I'm looking more lke Despair with every passing year. Heh. I'm probably most like Dream in personality, though, and Helena from Mirrormask definitely reminds me of myself at that age.

Thou art so true that thoughts of thee suffice
To make dreams truths and fables histories...
~John Donne

Posts: 176 | Location: In the pines, in the pines... | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of champagneeyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
I imagine you mean apart from manga?

Way, way before Harry Potter, there was Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea, which is just wonderful, a real classic, and is also about a poor boy whith untapped potential who gets invited to attend a wizarding school. (This isn't a pop at Harry Potter, which I like very much, but it just can't hold a candle to Earthsea.) The main character, and most of the people in the story, are described in such a way that they could only be Asian or, possibly, First Nation - although of course these descriptions don't make much geographical sense in a parallel universe!

(Just to depress us all, though, there was a Hollywood miniseries made of Earthsea a while back, which both LeGuin and longtime fans hated, because it made all the main characters white, except for a Black sidekick, and the main female character, who in the book was the only significant white character, they cast as mixed race! *headdesk* Plus they changed almost every significant plot and philosophical element in the book, so please don't dismiss the source works if you have happened upon this travesty of them.)

But of course you are right about the general field of non-manga fantasy. Things are changing, thank goodness, but it's very slow.

Hive! I LOVE Earthsea. My mother read it to me here, btw, and, yes, the miniseries was horrible.

Anyhoo, back ot. I was re-reading Sandman and I am VERY Dream in personality. At least, I have similar issues with rejection, a similar strain of moodiness/angst, and a coldness/standoffishness that masks a lot of emotion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: champagneeyes,

Thou art so true that thoughts of thee suffice
To make dreams truths and fables histories...
~John Donne

Posts: 176 | Location: In the pines, in the pines... | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
I've been told that as an Endless I would make an excellent Dream -- specifically Morpheus, though sometimes Daniel.

These days though, I tend to feel a lot like Silas from The Graveyard Book.

Posts: 6054 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jiraiyathesage
posted Hide Post
Hey sorry I skipped a load of posts and I noticed nobody has posted here for a while- forgive my noobness! I can see different bits of myself in Sandman. I have the Hamlet-esque broodiness of Dream sometimes, yet I see in myself a cheeriness akin to Death, at least when it comes down to cheering people up! As for Good Omens the closest to me would be Ariziphale. I love books and try to maintain a steeotypical British politeness.

In the Beginning It was a nice day.

It wasn't a dark and stormy night. It should have been, but there's the weather for you.

If you ever thought the British stereotype of discussing the weather is false, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett have just proved you wrong!

Posts: 12 | Location: Newcastle ish | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
welcome to the board jiraiyathesage...if you don't mind i'm gonna shorten this to jiraiya because otherwise my dyslexic fingers are gonna have a field day!

its perfectly fine to bump an old thread if you have something new to add.

although someone writing something in a fiction book isn't proof Razz even if in this instance it's true. Big Grin

why don't you pop over to the worlds end where the social action is and tell us more about yourself.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I can only relate to Fat Charlie at present - but I'm female, so it's confusing at times! I wish there was one (a really good one) I could relate to.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
aka Fiona Banks
Picture of River
posted Hide Post
This is sort of sad, but before I got my hair cut off I looked like Neil Gaiman... Except I'm female; I didn't notice the resemblance untill my sister pointed it out to me.
Two charcters who I am like are:
1) The Unamed God: People often forget that I am in the room. On numerous occasions I've had teacher seem to look right at me while taking attendance, then ask one of my friends if they know where I am. Plus I wear mostly greys and colours like that.
2) Loki: All my friends think I'm a bit of psychopath, and I can get people to believe also anything I tell them. Plus I also try to stay pretty "low key."

Wining means winning over the discord in yourself. Those who have a warped mind, a mind of discord, have been defeated from the beginning
~Morihei Ueshiba

Posts: 428 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patrícia Balan
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the previous pages... I'm sure a lot of people relate to her too. I've dressed like Barbie in "A Game of You" in the first Halloween after I read it, when it was published here in Brazil. I think it was around 1995 or 96. I was amazed how many people recognized the character. And many people were surprised that the lace on my face was really make-up. I totally related to her then, painting something else in your face so you don't really remember who you are when you look in the mirror. Today I'd like to think I'm Barbie after the end of the Game.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be a Velvet, dressed in the deepest red.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fjarska
posted Hide Post
I'm Old Bailey, through and through. I fell in love with him when I first read Neverwhere. I'd live on the rooftops of London if I could.

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
If Bod were a girl, I might be Bod. Maybe. I also love books and stories, and I learned to read and write at a young age.
Although I haven't lost my family, and I suspect I'm not as brave as him. But graveyards at night are not the kind of thing I'd be afraid of, either. I totally relate to the notion that it's not the graveyard to be afraid of, it's the bad people out there...

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post