Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  New Projects  Hop To Forums  New and Upcoming Books    ★ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

★ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
It's like reading one of his short stories that got extended out further--which is basically what it is. It started as a short story for Amanda and then became more. For me, I want some good meaty goodness which, while this tale was enjoyable, it lacked the intricate meats I've come to enjoy from his proper novels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12393 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia's Vengeance:
It's like reading one of his short stories that got extended out further--which is basically what it is. It started as a short story for Amanda and then became more. For me, I want some good meaty goodness which, while this tale was enjoyable, it lacked the intricate meats I've come to enjoy from his proper novels.

This.

It was a good little nibble of a story, but I too wanted something more meaty.

Fabulous movie-in-my-head descriptions.

The story meandered a bit down the lane and I thought I was going to see the ocean and really I saw a pond. It was a lovely walk though.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil is my favorite living author, and as such I have high expectations whenever I pick up something new that he has written. Ocean did not let me down. The personal nature of the work helped to create a new depth to the work, and I can't thank Neil enough for writing, and sharing, it with the rest of us. It was truly wonderful.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1st post: I really loved this book. It was reflective and intense in all the best ways and I've been looking for a way to say so to everyone who will listen, hence the posting. If you haven't read it pls do. If you have and shrugged, pls consider a 2nd read whilst feeling for subtexts on an emotional level...this operates at a really mythic/psychological level I think.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to reading it. I enjoyed it a lot. Nice little twist at the end if you want to call it that. This story is very simple yet gives you a lot of think about.

Can't wait for them to ruin it with a movie. Razz

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post