Notify
Tools

Monkey and Me?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted
what do we know?

Not a lot, mostly I know that I really want this book.

According to Amazon :

quote:
Bestselling author and popular blogger Neil Gaiman blends myth and magic, fact and fiction, in this spellbinding account of his own Journey to the West across modern China in the footsteps of Monkey. Since childhood Neil Gaiman has been just a little bit obsessed with the stories of the mythical Monkey, as told in China's most famous work of literature, Journey to the West. And when he first visited China himself he realized that all his preconcpetions about this vast and contradictory land were simply wrong. He fell in love with the food, the hospitality of the people, the respect for age and the past and the modern strangeness of Beijing. Monkey and Me is a book about China, about myth and magic and about Neil's own personal Journey. As he travels from China to India in the footsteps of his mythical precursor the people he meets, the places he sees and the adventures he experiences are intertwined with magical tales drawn from China's ancient legends.

Amazon however also gives a publication date of August 2012 but has no cover, price or anything indicating it's ready/nearly ready.

According to the surely reliable MTV it originally had a planned due date of autumn 2009.

quote:
"Monkey and Me: China and the Journey to the West," and a tentative due date of fall 2009.

William Morrow, an imprint of Harper Collins, announced today that "Monkey and Me" is actually the first of three nonfiction books Neil's writing for them -- and that this book will be published in English and Chinese. (The as-yet-untitled second and third books will focus on subjects explored on his blog).

Actually, that link has the most information I can find on this, for example :

quote:
So Neil embarked on the journey, crossing China in the footsteps of a real and mythical seventh century monk. So far, he's been stranded in the middle of nowhere, had a man try to sell him a human elbow, and ridden on an open truck through Hong Kong with dragon dancers. That broken finger he had during the book signings for his "Graveyard Book" tour? Broken in China halfway down a mountain. He's got a ton of stories from the trip, and he thought, why not use them?

Did I mention I really really want this book?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to read this one too. I wonder if it'll happen? Maybe there are problems with releasing it? Maybe he just hasn't finished it (yet) (I hope)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2705 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
And now 13 Oct 2016...

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read in H. Campbell's Art of Neil Gaiman that the book is not finished and put on the backburner, but definitely will be completed someday. If you're interested in some specifics, I'll look into it 'cause I don't know remember the exact story what happened.

Posts: 20 | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the theme of this book? Money,business, love? Or serious topic such as science,biology?

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 31, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post