Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    Will there be "The Graveyard Book" movie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will there be "The Graveyard Book" movie?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm wondering if this book has been optioned to be a movie.

It would be great if this was the next book to become a movie!

Posts: 10 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Linky #1

Linky #2

quote:
Neil Gaiman has sold the rights to produce a film based on his latest piece of genius, The Graveyard Book.

In an unusual move, the man who brought us Sandman (and co-wrote the recent Beowulf) hasn’t given the project to one of the big studios, he’s actually agreed to let Britain’s own special effects wizards Framestore have the first crack at it.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I keep wondering will it be called 'The Graveyard Movie'?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I keep wondering will it be called 'The Graveyard Movie'?

Very, very valid question.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
well the jungle book stays the jungle book when it's turned into movies... but i guess there was like 30-40 years between the book and the first movie to build up some cultural cache.

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I hope this book gets picked to be as a movie. This book is magnificent, Mind blasting story!!! I really do hope that it gets picked because all of your books are wonderful!

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Good Lynne
posted Hide Post
It is going to be a movie (see Neil's latest blog entry) and I'm pretty excited about it. This book is my favorite of his right now. I hope it doesn't take too long to be made and released. I also hope it's live action.

~*~ Cream corn. Cream corn, man made freak. ~*~

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would be preferable to see it as live action.

Wouldn't this mean that Bod would be played through several actors throughout the stage of the movie?

And Scarlett would be played by two.

I hope they go with unknowns for this movie, to me, a non-famous or new actor brings more credibility to the role.

I just hope they don't make the mistske that most other movies do with complex stories: compress it for the sake of making a limited running time.

For example, I don't want to see Bod as a baby, then as a fifteen year old in the next scene, thereby skipping all the exposition inbetween.

Posts: 10 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm wondering if anyone knows if the movie of the GB is going to be live action or animated? Neil? Do you know?

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be best as a live action but if it has to be animated i'd make it a stop-motion. After seeing the corpse bride I realised how well the undead and stop motion or claymation or whatever it was go together.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Neil doesn't check the boards - the movie's still looking for a home, but I'd prefer to see it done in the style of Coraline, but with a very different artistic style.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMDB says this is still in production, giving a release date of sometime in 2011.

Is work on this movie still progressing?

Only answer the above question if it's not an inapporiate one to ask.

I'm hoping for a live action film this time around, something like MirrorMask.

It would be interesting to see a Gaiman property in the theaters as a live film with big budget special effects.

And yes, I know, effects don't make a movie, I'm just curious to see what Neil would do if he had the budget for something spectacular.

Slyrr, hissssssssss........ Cool

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
weird...i asked the same thing on a different thread last night

as i said in the other thread, its no longer listed on neil gaiman or neil jordan's imdb page

but if you just do a search for the graveyard book you'll find a page for it...but there is absolutely no info other than the bit about it being released in 2011...it's possible that Jordan is no longer doing it and that's why it's not on his page...but something tells me that if it was still in production it would at least be listed on Gaiman's page

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, it's too good of a book NOT to be recreated in SOME sort f film format. -It's just a matter of time- - -
I'm still hoping that we can expect a sequel.

wonderful story!!! (Live action or animated, it would be hard to mess this one up.) <~~don't want to jinx it tho. Sorry.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is probably a jinx too, but off the top of my head i cant think of a gaiman story that was turned into a movie that i didnt like...sure none of them were exactly like the source material, but they still had enough of it in them for me to enjoy them

i'm just a rabid Neil Jordan fan and was really looking forward to him directing something of Gaiman's

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i (possibly) spoke too soon (nothing new there)

Jordan is listed once again on imdb (didnt you know that its the most accurate source for movies?) as director and screenplay author

it's listed as pre-production (which god only knows could mean anything) and is set for a "????" release date...frankly i find those question marks a little better than when the movie was completely off the site

but yeah, i'm gushing like the fool i am

*fingers crossed*