Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    what was the reason????? *spoilers*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what was the reason????? *spoilers*
 Login/Join

Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
There are two ways you can look at this.

The first is that Bod showed her his tricks, and she adapted to them at that time to the point where they had a bond and she could follow him around, and perhaps at times even sense him. I think, however, that for the most part he could control this, and keep it even from Scarlett.

The second possibility is that children tend to be more aware of things than adults are. This awareness changes over time and certain outside behaviours and discoveries will sometimes make this perception far less open. We all start off with imagination at first. It is possible that, as with most children's literature characters, she just paid attention to the things that adult perception would simply brush off. I would imagine that the Fade skill is much easier to use on an adult than it is a child.

This last comment is controversial, but there are precedents. Either way, it is very interesting.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait, what?

Scarlett appears in the graveyard and that night she Dreamwalks there. Bod didn't show her how to do that. Scarlett reads a newspaper in the dark. Bod didn't show her how to do that, either. Nowhere in their childhood is she shown able to do any of these things, or even trying (and you certainly can't show someone reading in the dark Wink )

These are abilities that only someone with Protection of the Graveyard is supposed to have, so it feels odd to say the least that Scarlett can do this without explanation (or explanation yet, as I said, I wonder if this is a sequel situation - hope so Smile ).

---

To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield

Posts: 2 | Location: Lodnon | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
Scarlett only Dreamwalked with reference to Bod. Everything she has done that verges on the supernatural has happened, as far as I remember, because of her association with Bod. Nowhere else does she accomplish these feats by herself and therefore does not have the Protection of the Graveyard.

Also, some of Bod's abilities are not the direct mystical result of the Graveyard, but rather what he learned there. As he ages, the abilities fade and disappear. Again, from what I understood of the matter.

Coincidentally, I do hope that there is a sequel, though I have no idea what it would be about if there were one.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
I don't remember Scarlet dreamwalking. I may be wrong, but I thought Bod dreamwalked into her dream because she was dreaming about him/the graveyard.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I don't think Silas is a vampire or that Bod's guardian is a werewolf. Those are terms we'd use, but I don't think they're correct. I do think that they're close, but there's more to intelligent undead than merely vampires and more to lycanthropes than werewolves. If I can find any online references to what I'm quite sure they are, I'll post them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
but... I thought there was a reference of Silas drinking blood? Or was it merely that he didn't eat "normal" human-type food? And she did turn into a big hairy wolfish looking creature... So, yeah, there are more to "weres" than just wolves I guess, but I'd say Silas is a vampire.

I should read this again before I ramble though.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I saw this mouse pad for sale that shows a vampire, a wherewolf, a ghost, and a bloody corpse all standing in line to get Neil's autograph. I thought is was a promo for the graveyard book.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by library lady:
Somewhere I saw this mouse pad for sale that shows a vampire, a wherewolf, a ghost, and a bloody corpse all standing in line to get Neil's autograph. I thought is was a promo for the graveyard book.

that would be this, available from neverwear.net here.

note to all, this is neil's official site and promotion to this site is allowed - just to clear up any spam type confusion.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Candace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lukeontheroad:
I love this book, it took my away, deep inside the book. i read it in an afternoon!!!

one thing that left me frustrated, and i might of made a mistake here. but....why was Bods family killed? what was the reason??? there must of been a major reason for a group of Jacks who have been killing certain people for thousands of years. i felt that this area was not really explored within the story. These evil jacks are people linked to the after life, and they killed bod's family. Then bods found the graveyard. i don't think this was fate. it was ment to be but why???

there must be a reason for Bod's real family to be singled out??

Actually, I believe there was another reason Bod's family was killed. I forget off the top of my head which Jack said it, but it wasn't just Bod's death that gave them power, it was any death, the more important the death, the better. So killing Bod would bring the biggest windfall, but I would assume that just killing Bod's relatives would also bring some power to the Jacks. Jack Frost was given the highest honor of killing Bod and his family because apparently, he was a young up and comer at the time. But failing to kill Bod killed his upward mobility. He may have gained some power from the deaths of Bod's family, but I think the fact that he failed to kill Bod wiped out any power he might have gained through their deaths. Without Bod's death, they became insignificant. With his death, that would have meant the end of their familial line and therefore the biggest windfall in terms of power.

But maybe I have a unique perspective on this as a Pagan and Witch.

Posts: 5 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Candace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mossfoot:
First of all, I loved this book.

However, I have a different "what was the reason" question.

Why is it that Scarlett when she returns to the graveyard at 15 can at different points Dreamwalk, see Nod when Faded, and see as the dead do (reading a newspaper). Yet shortly thereafter she can't do any of these things (like down with the Sleer where she needs the LED light).

Is this inconsistancy, something I missed, or something that will probably be covered in a Second Graveyard Book.

... er of course that leads to the question of whether or not there is any word of a Second Graveyard Book?

I am only reasoning this from a POV grounded in magic (I am a Witch) but, once a person is allowed to see something which is hidden, Bod initially allowed himself to be seen by Scarlett when they were children, it becomes more difficult to hide in subsequent meetings. In other words, he couldn't hide from her because her mind got used to finding him. And he actually wanted to be seen. The Sleer on the other hand, never gave their "permission" to be seen and in fact it was in their nature not to be seen as a matter of their function. They could scare people better through suggestion. So Scarlett could not see the Sleer because 1) she did not want to see the Sleer - she was scared and her mind did not want to focus on her fear and 2) the Sleer did not wish to be seen/were not meant to be seen. Not like Bod, who was a "real human boy." heh Bod, by his nature as a living child was meant to be seen, especially by Scarlett, his friend.

What it boils down to are connections. The more connections something has to you, through its nature or through familiarity, the more power you have over it. In this case, seeing Bod and not seeing the Sleer.

On the other hand, I may be way out in left field and it may just be that Bod was getting older and therefore the graveyard power given to him as a child was wearing off. Scarlett may have partook of Bod's ability as his friend. It's really hard to say obviously since I'm not sure how familiar Gaiman is with the Magical Axioms. lol But what I cited above is simply the Law of contagion, if that means anything to anyone.

Posts: 5 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Candace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
I don't think Silas is a vampire or that Bod's guardian is a werewolf. Those are terms we'd use, but I don't think they're correct. I do think that they're close, but there's more to intelligent undead than merely vampires and more to lycanthropes than werewolves. If I can find any online references to what I'm quite sure they are, I'll post them.

Actually, if you read the older myths about werewolves and even vampires, they were not intrinsically evil creatures. In Greek mythology, the dead could return to take care of debts and vows that death interrupted. They could be given speech with offerings of blood (not necessarily human). Werewolves also were initially good creatures. The "gene" for lycanthropy ran in families. The werewolves were in complete control of their transformation and were not influenced adversely by their form or the moon.

It is only later when the Christians took over and subverted much of the ancient mythology and folklore that vampires and werewolves became evil and demonic. Not that there weren't evil vampires and werewolves, but they were the exception, not the rule. Just like people are mostly good, we just have the misfortune of being the origin of several really vile individuals.

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Which legend about things that live on blood or things that change into animals are we talking about? Native American skinwalkers? Eastern European "graveyard dogs"? Middle eastern dervishes? Nordic Berserkers? South American half-bats?

The problem is that blood-suckers and soul-suckers and lycanthropes pop up simultaneously in a lot of cultures and the rules by which they operate are inconsistent across those cultures.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Candace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
Which legend about things that live on blood or things that change into animals are we talking about? Native American skinwalkers? Eastern European "graveyard dogs"? Middle eastern dervishes? Nordic Berserkers? South American half-bats?

The problem is that blood-suckers and soul-suckers and lycanthropes pop up simultaneously in a lot of cultures and the rules by which they operate are inconsistent across those cultures.

Well, more specifically, the Greco-Roman dead could return and speak if given a blood offering, and they would return to fulfill a vow. Later, once Christianity took over, vampirism was the result of a curse put upon a person by their parents or clergy. You'd think with the number of vampires created by excommunications, they'd consider ceasing the practice! lol Shapeshifters in France and Ireland were positively friendly until Christianity got its hands on the legends, then later in Ireland at least, being a werewolf was the result of a curse from Saint Patrick. Native American and Norse berserkrs are more problematic. Native American shapeshifters were exactly like people and could be good or evil, whatever they chose. Berserkrs and other Norse warrior shapeshifters seemed not to have much control when under the influence of their animal nature, but Norse and Gaelic swan maidens and selkies were like people no matter what their shape.

You're right. It is very hard to generalize due to the wide range of species among shapeshifters and vampiric entities. However, for most western entities, if you can find early stories undoctored by Christian belief, the "vampires" and shapeshifters were seldom evil simply for existing. Whereas after the indoctrination of Christian ideals, their evil was simply assumed based solely on their needs or abilities.

posted Hide Post
Couple thoughts on why Bod's family were killed:

1. To eliminate witnesses, so no one would call attention to the Jacks by reporting his death if only he were killed.

2. If certain characteristics were inherited and the Jacks had been killing relatives with those characteristics for centuries, certainly the parents couldn't be allowed to survive as they might produce another child with those characteristics, and neither could the sister as she might be mother to one.

What I would like to know is did they kill EVERY living relative of Bod and family, or might someone such as Harry Potter's mother's non-magical sister be surviving and maybe even nice enough to always wonder what became of the child? Since the family did not seem to be actually in hiding, perhaps they were unaware of being targeted?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cori,

#Fear_the_Sleer

Posts: 16 | Registered: January 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post