New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Neil!
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Neil,
I am a student of Translation and Interpreting at Granada’s University. Following a course dedicated to literary translation, my partner Celia and I were told to translate something new, fresh that may have not been translated into Spanish yet. We chose “The Graveyard Book” and translated chapter 1. We had to offer the class a presentation in relation to your biography, work and of course, this book. We need to handle a written essay concerning the problems and doubts we had when translating the chapter and we did have one. We had some trouble translating the expression “The Jack man”. We could not find an equivalent or explanation concerning this issue and when we asked native friends they could not give us an answer either. We would appreciate it a lot if you could explain us if there is any meaning hiding in that name or if it is just a name, a way to call that character.
Thank you very much, it was an excellent book, good luck for this movie, we wish you the best for your future projects.
María

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Neil doesn't read the message board. You have to go to the FAQ. (And he doesn't respond to homework questions very often.)

Jack in a very common name in english writing. exapmles are:
Jack of all trades
jack of heart
jack be nimble
jack and giant killer
jack and the beanstalk
and many more.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Neil doesn't read the message boards. There is a link in our FAQ section for where to send questions. I would suggest googling his online journal to make sure he hasn't already answered your question.

Welcome aboard.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Heh. A poster with a postcount in the single digits and someone with over 10k have done my job for me. My work here is done.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
You Mods trained us well! Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
You do make an excellent padawan.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by library lady:
Neil doesn't read the message board. You have to go to the FAQ. (And he doesn't respond to homework questions very often.)

Jack in a very common name in english writing. exapmles are:
Jack of all trades
jack of heart
jack be nimble
jack and giant killer
jack and the beanstalk
and many more.

Hi!
Thanks for answering! I noticed about that FAQ after I posted this comment. I thought the Jack thing would be something like that but for the class I should bring the most suitable translation and it seems to be that it is simply Jack or a guy call Jack or some like that.
Well, thanks a lot!
María

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other things that came to mind with the name Jack (particularly concerning the first chapter of the book) included Jack the Ripper (British murderer of prostitutes) and, as library lady mentioned, Jack and the Beanstalk. While I don't know if this will be exactly helpful to Maria's studies, studying Jack of the Appalachians was incredibly interesting in my Folklore class last semester. He didn't just kill giants (though that was one of his more common capers), but ran into all sorts of supernatural creatures and usually defeated them through wit (even though he wasn't particularly smart usually) or pure dumb luck. Pretty cool stuff. Especially since Appalachian folklore was carted over here to the New Old World from the Actual Old World. Apparently there are some towns down there that haven't changed much from that time period.

Another thing along those lines that's interesting to look into (speaking of Appalachia) are the many different versions of House of the Rising Sun (sung by many including The Animals, and Bob Dylan). One of the earliest (or possibly the earliest?) recording of it is sung by Georgia Turner, a 16 year old girl who sounds about 87. Pretty amazing.

...but I freakin' digress...

I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I also just noticed that Maria last posted in January. I really don't message board much.

I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gaiman,
My question for you is where did you get the idea to write this story? Like was it once a dream or something that you thought of while in a movie?

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Nicole, Neil doesn't check the boards, sorry. You can contact him via the contact link on www.neilgaiman.com. More info on this and other boardie matters can be found in our Message Board FAQs.

- G.K. Chesterton

posted Hide Post
hey does anyone no if the graveyard book is gonna be made into a movie??if so please reply thxz!!

babedonthatejustluv<3

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
At most recent report, there was going to be a movie written by Neil and directed by Neil Jordan. Hasn't been much movement on it in a while, at least that I've heard.

- G.K. Chesterton

posted Hide Post
ohhh! thxz so much im doing a reprt of the book 4 summr reading!!! Smile

babedonthatejustluv<3

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post