Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    A few questions ***SPOILERS***
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few questions ***SPOILERS***
 Login/Join

posted
Just finished reading the book, and had a few questions:

1. Was anyone else disappointed that Scarlett had her memory erased? I didn't really see the need for it. Most of the time I get annoyed because authors try to force characters together, but this one felt the opposite, where I thought Bod and Scarlett were separated for no good reason.

2. What's Neil working on now?

3. Can someone remind me how Bod knew that Silas was a member of the Honour Guard? I know it was mentioned in the book, I just can't remember.

Overall, I loved the book. Hopefully Neil will come out with more great books like this.

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaya Lakshmi
posted Hide Post
1. Yeah, kind of a Narnia-esque ending. I found it more disappointing when she called Bod a monster and said he was just as horrible as Jack. I want to see her in the sequel, if there is one.
2. Neil's working on a nonfiction Chinese mythology book. I think it's about the monkey king.
3. One of the Jacks mentions it right before Bod traps them in the Ghoul Gate.

Posts: 17 | Registered: August 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaya Lakshmi:
I found it more disappointing when she called Bod a monster and said he was just as horrible as Jack.
I think that is part of the reason why Nobody has to leave the graveyard as he is becoming an adult: he would not be able to maintain a functional relationship with the living world because of the fears which so many of the living have about magic, however irrationally founded they are.

Here's something which is niggling at me: in one of the hardback illustrations, Silas seems to be wearing glasses. What for? At least I think it is him. Nobody is pointing away and seems to perhaps be yelling at him.

Mutant of the Freakness

Posts: 125 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaya Lakshmi
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ.

Scarlett, despite her ridiculous decision to leave Bod, had some trauma from the ordeal. A nice old man who could've been her stepfather turned out to be a murderous psychopath once he discovered Bod. And Scarlett is shunted to the left, not given the means with which to help fend off the Jacks. I think subconsciously she blames Bod for spoiling her seemingly perfect life with Mr. Frost and her mom. That's why Silas makes her forget, so that she doesn't have to stir up old ghosts and return to a normal life in Scotland.

As for Bod having to leave the Graveyard because of other people's fears there are worse things in the world besides the dead, including the Jacks.

I don't mean to argue, but I don't think he has to leave the graveyard because of external social pressure.

raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
So...why?

Mutant of the Freakness

Posts: 125 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaya Lakshmi
posted Hide Post
TO be honest, I really don't know. I wanted to scream when Bod left the graveyard; he's only fifteen, for crying out loud. I'm three years older than Bod and I'd die before leaving home at this point.

My guess is that with the Man Jack trapped in the Sleer, he's either going to

1) Die eventually and his spirit will haunt the graveyard, pursuing Bod or

2) Corrupt the graveyard in some way so that Bod is further threatened.

Either of the two options are ironic, since Bod came to the graveyard for safety from Jack.

raises plants that kill
Picture of SiiriC
posted Hide Post
I do not think Sleer will let him go, body or soul. That is why I think the indigo man is the body of Sleer's first master.

Mutant of the Freakness