Find
Notify
Tools

The Graveyard Book
 Login/Join

From out of the cloven pine
Picture of Weaver
posted
Who here is planning on getting it? I was pretty much indifferent to it when Neil was writing about it in his journal, but I read "The Witch's Headstone" the other day and now it's firmly at the top of my To Buy list, mainly because of the sheer weirdness of the premise, which I suspect is something that only Neil could make work.

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Kingdom of Albion | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
*raises hand*

I'm planning on getting it. I haven't read the chapter that was posted, I'm being patient. I'm more interested in it now that it's turned into more of a young adult or adult book than a middle grade book like Coraline.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michael Alan
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely buying it along with a few other works of his when I go to do so.
(I'll be buying Anansi Boys and Coraline when I go to get it. Then my collection of Neil Gaiman books will be complete until he writes another one.)

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
You even have the Duran Duran one? Wink

I'm definitely getting it, and have been since I heard about it. The premise intrigued me from the start, although I can definitely see how it might not attract everyone.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm quite looking forward to it.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michael Alan
posted Hide Post
Haha. I don't have the Duran Duran one. I only like fiction and only collect fiction.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I've just heard some of the first chapter of The Graveyard Book - Neil read it at the Eastercon and it had me in it's spell! (my 13 year old nearly fell asleep through it - but she's like that!)

My littlest daughter (aged ten) who loved Coraline, says she is now looking forward to reading it, having first dismissed it when I tried reading the Witch's Headstone to her.

I'll be on the lookout for it as soon as it pops its ugly head!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:
*raises hand*

I'm planning on getting it. I haven't read the chapter that was posted, I'm being patient. I'm more interested in it now that it's turned into more of a young adult or adult book than a middle grade book like Coraline.

Oh, does that mean it won't be suitable for a ten year old?

Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sunday, February 24, 2008
At the end of a book...
Over the last few months people have written in and asked what kind of a book The Graveyard Book is, whether it's for kids or adults, all that sort of thing. And I haven't answered because it wasn't actually finished, and I figured I'd find out when it was done. And it's done now.

I think The Graveyard Book is a book for pretty much all ages, although I'm not sure how far down that actually starts. I think I would have loved it when I was eight, but I don't think that all eight-year olds were like me.

from the blog

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Thank you Smaug - I think she'll love it! (me too)

Kurt Vonnegut

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Smile

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ive only discovered neil in the past 18 months but have loved everything i have read so far and have just pre-ordered my copy from amazon Smile cant wait to get my paws on it Smile

"Isn't it appropriate that the month of the tax begins with April Fool's Day and ends with cries of "May Day!"?"

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
I want it, but first I must get it for the husband's niece. I discovered when we stayed with them at Christmas that she's very much interested in horror/ghosts and spends a great deal of time digging up ghost videos on YouTube. so I think she'll like it. (I'm tempted to give her The Jungle Book as a companion piece, but it'll depend on how tight money is towards the end of the year.)

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to quickly register and come tell everyone. I just finished my advanced reader's copy of The Graveyard Book and it's two thumbs way up. Hard up. It'll be difficult to use a fork with thumbs like these. Might go hungry.

Undoubtedly the best thing about The Graveyard Book is the stunningly strange and terrible world Gaiman reveals in delicate, deepening flashes like an unseen hand flourishing a black velvet curtain between a yearning audience and a nightmare stage.

Oh Neil, do write another.

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
*waits impatiently for release*

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wereturtle:
I had to quickly register and come tell everyone. I just finished my advanced reader's copy of The Graveyard Book and it's two thumbs way up. Hard up. It'll be difficult to use a fork with thumbs like these. Might go hungry.

Undoubtedly the best thing about The Graveyard Book is the stunningly strange and terrible world Gaiman reveals in delicate, deepening flashes like an unseen hand flourishing a black velvet curtain between a yearning audience and a nightmare stage.

Oh Neil, do write another.

Not fair - I need one of these! Silly, but everything else goes on hold when I have something new of Mr Gaiman's to read.

Kurt Vonnegut

Picture of Rolvsbakken
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I just wanted to say that "The Graveyard Book" is fantastic. It's a return to the type of subtlety, cleverness and unpredictability that marked the 'Sandman' series and standout works like '1602' and 'Stardust'. This is Mr. Gaiman's territory. A flawless work that begs many sequels.

Posts: 3 | Location: Colorado | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Ooh, now I want to read it even more - if that's possible!

BTW what are you feeding that baby to?

Kurt Vonnegut

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Oh and did you know you can try to win a copy at Subterranean Press with your own epitaph? (maybe I should keep quiet - there are far too many witty dudes in here to compete with)

NB - looks like Neil's linked to it. Now, I've no chance of winning once this lot get hold of it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Motley,

Kurt Vonnegut

Picture of Rolvsbakken
posted Hide Post
That's the hungry Smilodon coin machine at the Museum here in Denver. Baby wasn't sure about the teeth. I've already forked over the $250 for the limited edition over at Subterranean Press.

Posts: 3 | Location: Colorado | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post